Aus PR leaving Australia while the passport expired

Angela_auntie

Hi guys, I am PR, and my passport will expire on Aug 2020. I hold Chinese passport and I have to renew it via Chinese Embassy. I have been trying to renew my passport since Feb 2020, and I was told they suspend the passport application due to COVID-19.

I don’t know when I can get the passport renewed. I may go back to my home country on Dec 2020. If I still cannot renew a passport by that time and don’t have a valid passport. Can I leave this country with an expired passport and valid PR visa, and then come back in the future? I can apply for a new passport in China, obtain a new passport number and inform Immigration Department to update my PR later on.

Also, is that okay if I stay in Aus as a PR, but with passport expired, assuming I don’t leave this country?

Thank you for any advice.

10 minutes ago, Angela_auntie said:

Hi guys, I am PR, and my passport will expire on Aug 2020. I hold Chinese passport and I have to renew it via Chinese Embassy. I have been trying to renew my passport since Feb 2020, and I was told they suspend the passport application due to COVID-19.

I don’t know when I can get the passport renewed. I may go back to my home country on Dec 2020. If I still cannot renew a passport by that time and don’t have a valid passport. Can I leave this country with an expired passport and valid PR visa, and then come back in the future? I can apply for a new passport in China, obtain a new passport number and inform Immigration Department to update my PR later on.

Also, is that okay if I stay in Aus as a PR, but with passport expired, assuming I don’t leave this country?

Thank you for any advice.

I don't believe any airline would allow you to check-in and then board an international flight without a valid passport,besides the fact that the Immigration Officers at your departure airport would need to see a valid passport. 

Likewise you would not be allowed to either board a flight to Australia, or enter Australia without a valid passport. 

11 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

I don't believe any airline would allow you to check-in and then board an international flight without a valid passport,besides the fact that the Immigration Officers at your departure airport would need to see a valid passport. 

Likewise you would not be allowed to either board a flight to Australia, or enter Australia without a valid passport. 

Thanks Nemesis, do you know if I can stay in Aus with an expired passport? As long as my PR is valid? Thanks again