Arriving back in UK from AU (During Self Iso)

Joanne Donnelly

Hi all, my partner and I are due to fly from Sydney to Heathrow via Abu Dhabi on Sat Aug 15th. We have our AU government allowance papers as we are re-emigrating. On noticing that Australia was on the list for OK countries to be aloud to return 'without' self isolation of 14 day we booked up the hotel, hire car and Air b&b etc for 1 week. All good.

However, only now today just been notified all Etihad flights have to have a C19 test showing obviously negative before being aloud to board in Sydney! But also that arrivals into UK does not include UAE?? as we shall be transiting through, for 2hrs. How would you arrive from AU? as no countries listed that are aloud in without S.Iso?? This makes no sense at all.

My question is this.....has anybody just done this same route??? did anybody board or get off the plane in transit, if not why if we hold a negative certificate would we need to self isolate for 14 days in UK? 🙂 

3 hours ago, Joanne Donnelly said:

Hi all, my partner and I are due to fly from Sydney to Heathrow via Abu Dhabi on Sat Aug 15th. We have our AU government allowance papers as we are re-emigrating. On noticing that Australia was on the list for OK countries to be aloud to return 'without' self isolation of 14 day we booked up the hotel, hire car and Air b&b etc for 1 week. All good.

However, only now today just been notified all Etihad flights have to have a C19 test showing obviously negative before being aloud to board in Sydney! But also that arrivals into UK does not include UAE?? as we shall be transiting through, for 2hrs. How would you arrive from AU? as no countries listed that are aloud in without S.Iso?? This makes no sense at all.

My question is this.....has anybody just done this same route??? did anybody board or get off the plane in transit, if not why if we hold a negative certificate would we need to self isolate for 14 days in UK? 🙂 

It’s a good question and I’m not sure of the answer. Have you checked the U.K. immigration site about arrivals as I’d be surprised if it didn’t reference transit flights. I think when you just transit through an airport it’s considered a direct flight still but we are not in normal times right now. Having a negative test result prior to your flight doesn’t mean you haven’t got Covid when you arrive of course. It just means you didn’t have it a few days before you took two flights. You could get it on the flight or in transit. 

I have just found the answer on the U.K. government exemptions information site. Unfortunately for you, you will need to self isolate for 14 days on arrival in the U.K.  

‘If you travel from an exempt country but have been in a country that is not exempt within the last 14 days, you will need to self-isolate for the remainder of the 14 days since you were in a non-exempt country. If you transit through a country that is not exempt you will be required to self-isolate for 14 days’

Edited by Tulip1

hiya, yes i have looked at the UK gov site. Transit as we are to disembark (2hrs) means in the current situation that we have to 14day isolate, even though everybody has to be tested negative to board, but yes your correct about the days previous or the actual airport! Just minimising risk best they can.

Just seems a little much coming from AU (very low cases) also everybody best as possible showing negative but still having to quarantine for 14 days??. UK residents are arriving  home from far higher figure destinations without a test or Iso. 

17 hours ago, Joanne Donnelly said:

hiya, yes i have looked at the UK gov site. Transit as we are to disembark (2hrs) means in the current situation that we have to 14day isolate, even though everybody has to be tested negative to board, but yes your correct about the days previous or the actual airport! Just minimising risk best they can.

Just seems a little much coming from AU (very low cases) also everybody best as possible showing negative but still having to quarantine for 14 days??. UK residents are arriving  home from far higher figure destinations without a test or Iso. 

Unless things have changed, you don’t necessarily get back on the same a/craft after transiting. Some passengers will be getting off the flight and different passengers joining the flight. Just because you have booked through to UK don’t assume everyone else has.

Also unless this is not allowed at the moment? you might have spent time in an airport probably strolling around looking in the shops or having a coffee. 

Edited by ramot
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Island said:

What a. nightmare - so who can we fly with to avoid this happening??

At the moment, it looks like it is not possible to fly from Australia to UK via any airport/country on the exempt list (other than maybe Hong Kong if any airline still flies that route??):

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-travel-corridors#countries-and-territories-with-no-self-isolation-requirement-on-arrival-in-england

On 09/08/2020 at 11:00, Joanne Donnelly said:

How did it go?