Packing begins

Aussiebird

So today, after a couple of weeks sorting through our household belongings, i have start dismantling garden furniture and cleaning down, storing ready for packers.

I cleaned our rattan furniture with diluted Jeyes fluid.  Other stuff in the garden has been cleaned and covered.  It's quite satisfying getting everything organised, i know that when our stuff is examined on arrival they will check particularly garden stuff, so hence the thorough clean.

I do have a 4 man tent but it smells a bit musty where its been stored in it's carry bag,  a bit too big to put in washing machine, do you recommend i wash it all down in the garden? I dont want it to be destroyed on examination.

Can candles in jars go in a shipping container? I also have candle wax melts, just wondered if they would all melt into one through the heat in the container?  I would love to take them but not an absolute necessity. 

How did you organise all your belongings in the lead up to the packers coming?

Be great to hear stories, good or bad!!

Xx

Edited by Aussiebird

Can you power wash the tent?  You hear a few horror stories about things not passing quarantine and other things getting through.  There was one on here that they' cleaned the bike and the the removers  must have wheeled it to the container - it then had dirt on the wheels and at this end they had to pay for cleaning or it being destroyed.

Check about candles - they may be an item that's restricted - quarantine won't check if they contain beeswax or not.  The containers do get very hot, so there is a possibility they could be ruined in the journey.  Christmas decorations seem to come under scrutiny too (checking for pine cones).

We had a free buy/sell paper and we advertised a lot of things in there in the months leading up to the move.  We didn't clean everything until the week before the move for chance that it would get dirty again.   On the day we  put post it notes on all the doors of rooms and cupboards with "for packing".  We used John Masons, the packers worked like troopers and it took them 2 days and we couldn't fault them. 

• Like 1

Can  you wash your tent in a bath tub? 

We doing our own packing and are organising our stuff into boxes for:

Shoes

Outside toys /sports equipment /camping equipment 

Wooden toys 

Non wooden toys

House hold items containing wood 

Household items not containing wood

Christmas decorations 

Clothing 

Books

Electrical items 

We are trying to declutter as we go for fear of a next wave lock down. 

3 hours ago, CatinAus said:

Shoes

Wooden toys 

Non wooden toys

Christmas decorations 

Clothing 

Books

Electrical items 

I have washed the main part of the tent in the washing machine, didnt think it would fit!

Now washing the 2 bedroom sections of the tent, so i know they will be clean now and not have to worry.  Will give them a light spray of Jeyes fluid the day before packers come, next will be the poles for the tent to clean thoroughly.  I just hope they dont want to destroy the tent or ask us if we want it cleaned, then have to pay charges!

Alot of our other garden things, like cushions, plant pots (thoroughly cleaned but most are brand new anyway) are now wrapped in bags to keep them clean and dry.

Rattan (more of the plastic type) table and chairs have been dismantled, cleaned with Jeyes and stored in our garage wrapped up in tarpaulin. 

Hope this will be good enough!!

2 hours ago, Aussiebird said:

I have washed the main part of the tent in the washing machine, didnt think it would fit!

Now washing the 2 bedroom sections of the tent, so i know they will be clean now and not have to worry.  Will give them a light spray of Jeyes fluid the day before packers come, next will be the poles for the tent to clean thoroughly.  I just hope they dont want to destroy the tent or ask us if we want it cleaned, then have to pay charges!

Alot of our other garden things, like cushions, plant pots (thoroughly cleaned but most are brand new anyway) are now wrapped in bags to keep them clean and dry.

Rattan (more of the plastic type) table and chairs have been dismantled, cleaned with Jeyes and stored in our garage wrapped up in tarpaulin. 

Hope this will be good enough!!

Ive just been told  cannot take any candles in jars in the container and all outdoor furniture etc will be thoroughly checked, apparently its the interlocking sections that carry dust etc so will contaminate, but hopefully a good clean with a jet hose, Jeyes etc will be fine🤞🤞🤞🤞

• Like 2

7 hours ago, CatinAus said:

Shoes

Wooden toys 

Non wooden toys

Christmas decorations 

Clothing 

Books

Electrical items 

Be careful with Christmas decorations. They do check and  We had some confiscated that had cones and wood.  Baubles were fine.

• Like 2

On 03/08/2020 at 05:51, Aussiebird said:

So today, after a couple of weeks sorting through our household belongings, i have start dismantling garden furniture and cleaning down, storing ready for packers.

I cleaned our rattan furniture with diluted Jeyes fluid.  Other stuff in the garden has been cleaned and covered.  It's quite satisfying getting everything organised, i know that when our stuff is examined on arrival they will check particularly garden stuff, so hence the thorough clean.

I do have a 4 man tent but it smells a bit musty where its been stored in it's carry bag,  a bit too big to put in washing machine, do you recommend i wash it all down in the garden? I dont want it to be destroyed on examination.

Can candles in jars go in a shipping container? I also have candle wax melts, just wondered if they would all melt into one through the heat in the container?  I would love to take them but not an absolute necessity. 

How did you organise all your belongings in the lead up to the packers coming?

Be great to hear stories, good or bad!!

Xx

Don’t forget to do the soles of your shoes, esp. walking boots. We did ours with a steam cleaner and wiped the over with jeyes fluid.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, ali said:

There was someone on here once who had cleaned bikes .. but the wheel got some dirt on it (? it was wheeled to the removal van rather than carried) - ended up being highlighted at customs and they had to pay for cleaning 

Yes that's  right, I read that recently! We will have to watch and make sure bikes are carried to the container!!😂😂

6 minutes ago, Aussiebird said:

Yes that's  right, I read that recently! We will have to watch and make sure bikes are carried to the container!!😂😂

I went to our local bike shop and picked up three bike boxes for free . You can pack your bike clean and use the space around for other stuff.

• Like 1