exemption to leave Australia long term

Louise Devlin

Hi everyone,

My boyfriend is an Australian Citizen, and currently in Australia. I am A UK citizen in the UK, and we are obviously separated due to border closures. My partner plans to move long term to the Uk, and is in the process of looking for jobs, which is tricky considering he can't be in the UK right now. We have not tried for an exemption yet, but has anyone got any knowledge of a visa route, evidence we would need to show he was just booking a one way ticket out, with no expectation to return during border closure?

There seems to be no info on this and we really need some guidance.

Louise

Might he be entitled to an Ancestry visa (at least one grandparent born in UK) - that’s the best. Otherwise you might have to sponsor him on a partner visa - you need To be earning £18500 and he won’t be entitled to any benefits whilst on the visa.   I don’t know that any visa in particular is going to scream “I’m going for a long time”.  I make the assumption that he’s not got one parent UK born because that would entitle him to citizenship by descent. 

If he can't get an Ancestry visa, then there aren't a lot of options for visas to the UK.   Are you de facto or just dating?  ("de facto" means your relationship is the equivalent of marriage, you just haven't had a ceremony).  If you're de facto, you may be able to get a spouse visa. 

If he can get a visa, then the exemption should be easy.  He needs to show evidence that he's sold his home or given notice on his lease, packed up his belongings and is ready to ship them out, that kind of thing.