Advice on Paperwork and Getting Organised for a move back to UK

LittleLadyJayne

Hi Everyone,

After some very wise advice from members in this community, I am finally summoning up the courage to move back to the UK after 13 years away.

It's something I have been thinking about for about 5 years, but kept putting off (kept putting it into the too hard basket!). But as I approach my 40's (I am 39) I'm tired of never feeling settled in Australia, and the pull back home is hard to ignore any longer. I miss family, the English countryside and so much more. There is only one way to know if I'll feel settled back in England, and that is to give it ago! eek!

I left when I was 26, and still have a UK bank account and would have paid into my government pension up to this age. I haven't paid tax in the UK for 13 years and don't believe I would qualify for NHS, etc. As far as the UK sees me, I am a resident, but not a tax paying resident which I understand is different.

I'm starting from a knowledge base of zero as to what I need to prepare, organise and get ready for a move back.

FYI, I have an Australian and UK passport so this gives me some options further down the line.

Does anyone have any advice on where to start? 

Thank you! 

You can back pay NI from Australia for the some of years you have been away - lower rate I believe but I haven’t done it (should have but been here too long). You might want to do that before you go. 

We just went on holiday and did come back - it was remarkably easy to get started back there for us - I still have a UK bank account which certainly helped. We basically had what was in our backpacks and that was it. My DH found it more of a chore to get a new one but that may just have been him! 

From this end if you have private health you can ask for that to be suspended so that if you do decide to return at some point you won’t get stung with the age loading. Take a copy of any no claims bonus you may have on car insurance, the insurance companies can be a bit sticky about giving you a decent NCB. 
Take your name off the electoral roll otherwise you’ll be getting snotty messages if you fail to vote. 
Don’t cancel your Aussie bank accounts either, you may need one for money transfers at some point when you retire. Not sure how you go about changing your address to a UK one though - ask them. 
Cancel any insurance you may have on your accrued super and be in touch with the super fund at regular intervals or they will just hive it off to the ATO inactive super black hole. 
Try and get phone numbers you can call from overseas for anyone you think you might want to call. 
Get your phone unlocked if you plan to use it in UK with a UK provider.

We had no trouble reestablishing with the NHS, essentially you are back for good- get in the electoral roll and show you have a job. And with luck you won’t need the NHS anyway for some time. Citizens return for good all the time. We were only there as carers for my parents and the NHS didn’t blink an eye at us.

Good luck, it’ll all fall into place and I live by the mantra that “there’s nothing a passport and credit card won’t solve” 

Edited by Quoll
  • Like 2

No need to backpay NI contributions at your age, as you’ve got plenty of years to build up pension entitlement.

If you can prove you’ve returned permanently (copy of a utility bill at your new address) you won’t have a problem registering for the NHS. If you take any prescription medications, just take enough supply with you for a couple of months just in case.

If you’re in a city where rentals are scarce you may need to pay six months upfront to secure a rental property, so make sure you’ve got adequate savings. 

Keep  your Australian credit card because it may take you some time to qualify for a UK one.

55 minutes ago, Quoll said:

Good luck, it’ll all fall into place and I live by the mantra that “there’s nothing a passport and credit card won’t solve” 

That is a fantastic mantra!  🙂  This is very helpful information, thank you. I think my biggest issue will be proving a new address as I'll likely live with family for the first few weeks while I find my feet. I do still have post delivered (including banking information) to my dad' place with my name and details so this may be enough.

I've been searching online at the jobs market and there is actually some decent opportunities about to get me started and earning.

I'm beginning to realise I can really do this! 

• Like 2
  • Congratulations 1

@Marisawright Very useful information, thank you. I have a feeling I have a UK credit card somewhere. I'll have a look and if not, see if I can get a replacement sent out as I'm pretty sure I never cancelled it. 

Renting wise, I'll look for either a houseshare to get me started/stay with friends, and then go from there (I had a look online today and there are some good options of places to stay) . I now see how relevant your comments were yesterday about saving my money and going home vs an expensive holiday and the outcome would be the same!

I'm also looking at the application process for travel exceptions and getting my head around what needs to happen and by when. You've been really helpful!!

• Like 1

cancel any insurances attached to your Aussie Super if you have any.   They wont be valid as soon as you leave the country.

If youve got loads of stuff to sell/get rid of, start as soon as is practicable.   You can get surprisingly good prices for a lot of second hand stuff in Oz in my experience and if you start early enough you wont be pressured into taking any 'low ball offers'.   

• Like 1

As the others have said, just rock up to the GP practice and register. I'd got NHS cards for three of us from before we left, but had somehow misplaced one kids card. It wasn't a problem, she actually needed to go to the doctor three days after we landed, and I just filled out a patient registration form. I also agree that you should start decluttering ASAP. I actually started packing well in advance, and put some things in storage before the house went on the market. I used an app called Sortly, which you put an inventory on, then you can print out a label with a QR code for the front of the box - made unpacking at this end really easy, as we were in a rental to start with, didn't want to unpack everything, but occasionally needed to find something from the boxes.

Good luck with it! Moving back to the UK is the best thing I've ever done!

8 hours ago, LKC said:

As the others have said, just rock up to the GP practice and register.

You're probably right.   It's good for people like the OP who are returning, but it's a worry because it means GP practices are accepting people for free treatment when they should be charging - which means the NHS is paying for people it shouldn't be.  They're supposed to demand proof of permanent residence in the UK.   They're also supposed to be de-registering patients after two years of inactivity, and I know they're not doing that either, because I occasionally get messages from our Southampton GP practice five years later.

I needed proof of address to register. Wasn’t happening without a utility bill or council tax bill. Same for my mum as well. It was very stressful to begin with as she didn’t have a permanent address and needed ongoing treatment. Luckily an ophthalmologist took her on and treated her for free and then when she had an address and then a GP he put the claim in to the CCG then, so we didn’t have to pay privately. Really grateful they did that. Bit of compassion goes a long way.

We have families we know live in the middle east come back and get their children vaccinated on the nhs. Global health would see this as a good thing. 🤷‍♂️GPs do it as they get paid for immunisations. 

In fairness some GPs do police their lists quite well but if families have accepted documents with a UK address on it the GP will register them and see them. Staff only have so much time to devote to this I suppose.