Will you still come?

starlight7

We are planning to move in ~ September 2021 now, or a year later than planned.  Dependencies are selling the house (probably listing in September to take advantage of the stamp duty holiday which on our house is worth £15k to a buyer), and the WA economy not being buggered.

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

We are planning to move in ~ September 2021 now, or a year later than planned.  Dependencies are selling the house (probably listing in September to take advantage of the stamp duty holiday which on our house is worth £15k to a buyer), and the WA economy not being buggered.

I should say my family are all citizens and I have PR validated last year with until November 2023 to move.

We managed to sell our house in the pandemic for a decent price and complete on the 13th of August.  Currently we are considering waiting out a month or two on a Greek island (possibly Samos) and then hoping Thailand or Bali will open up and stay there for a bit until Melbourne opens.  As far as I can see on facebook forums everyone is being bumped off flights unless they pay exorbitant fare prices.  Also, PR visa entry date is by 21st January and hopefully we will make it in on time.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Slackbladder said:

We managed to sell our house in the pandemic for a decent price and complete on the 13th of August.  Currently we are considering waiting out a month or two on a Greek island (possibly Samos) and then hoping Thailand or Bali will open up and stay there for a bit until Melbourne opens.  As far as I can see on facebook forums everyone is being bumped off flights unless they pay exorbitant fare prices.  Also, PR visa entry date is by 21st January and hopefully we will make it in on time.

Not sure that Thailand would be a good option. I have a friend living there and he daren’t leave because he says he wouldn’t get back in at the moment. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 09/11/2020 at 20:16, Jon the Hat said:

Well we have now an offer on the house after 3 weeks on the market!  Cue months of worry about it actually getting to completion!

Still planning for September 21 as our move date, hoping things have settled down by then.

Fingers crossed for you @Jon the Hat, and for us too - our house is under offer and we're not far off completing - just waiting for our buyer's mortgage to be formally approved.

• Like 2

On 21/11/2020 at 23:13, Wanderer Returns said:

Fingers crossed for you @Jon the Hat, and for us too - our house is under offer and we're not far off completing - just waiting for our buyer's mortgage to be formally approved.

Good news!  We have the buyers mortgage valuation tomorrow so fingers crossed.  I am hoping the Stamp duty holiday motivates everyone to complete in good time!

Edited by Jon the Hat
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Good news!  We have the buyers mortgage valuation tomorrow so fingers crossed.  I am hoping the Stamp duty holiday motivates everyone to complete in good time!

Hi Jon, yes I gather that everyone over there is keen to complete their sales before the end of next March, but lenders are only approving mortgages for one month in some cases, which is causing a lot of problems because people can't complete in time.

7 hours ago, Wanderer Returns said:

Hi Jon, yes I gather that everyone over there is keen to complete their sales before the end of next March, but lenders are only approving mortgages for one month in some cases, which is causing a lot of problems because people can't complete in time.

We are moving into rental so fingers crossed, but a month from this week would be a bit tricky!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, starlight7 said:

Just wondering if you can actually get to Australia at the moment ? I know they were talking about repatriation of residents from overseas but not sure if anyone else can come.

Yes, there are several PIO members who have posted about their (migration) arrival since borders were "closed".  Not actually closed, but restricted.

Once the bulk of the stranded Australians have returned,  its likely that the Government will make a decision to further restrict most immigration by mid 2021, which it has already stated some time ago, suggesting that only PR and citizens can enter by that date.  This may change however according to the effectiveness, or otherwise, of a vaccination program.

Its a case of wait and see.

Edited by Dusty Plains
  • Like 1

On 30/07/2020 at 16:56, Slackbladder said:

Waiting a month or 2 on  a Greek Island sounds nice. I like the Greek Islands a lot more than Bali. If you've not been to Bali you will be surprised how busy it is. Traffic is horrendous everywhere. 

The standard of hotel you can get in Bali is amazing though. Best hotel I stayed in anywhere was the Intercontinental in Jimbaran Bay.