Iocksmith problem advice needed

Hi

Im a locksmith and am planning to move to Australia, I dont need a visa to get in as Im an Australian who was removed from there at the age of 10, and lived in the UK ever since.

(When I was young none of the UK kids believed I was an Aussie, and last time I went to Aus they didn't believe I was an Aussie)

Anyway Im 52 and wanted to know how I go about getting certification in my line of work and my wife is worried about me taking my haul of tools over there as they are illegal in most states unless your registered.

Anyone know how I go about this? I wont have a problem getting in as I am getting my first Australian passport.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.😀

3 hours ago, Frankdobermann said:

Hi

Im a locksmith and am planning to move to Australia, I dont need a visa to get in as Im an Australian who was removed from there at the age of 10, and lived in the UK ever since.

(When I was young none of the UK kids believed I was an Aussie, and last time I went to Aus they didn't believe I was an Aussie)

Anyway Im 52 and wanted to know how I go about getting certification in my line of work and my wife is worried about me taking my haul of tools over there as they are illegal in most states unless your registered.

Anyone know how I go about this? I wont have a problem getting in as I am getting my first Australian passport.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.😀

I assume your wife has a visa?

9 hours ago, Frankdobermann said:

Hi

Im a locksmith and am planning to move to Australia...Anyway Im 52 and wanted to know how I go about getting certification in my line of work and my wife is worried about me taking my haul of tools over there as they are illegal in most states unless your registered.

I found a link on Google which may help.  I can't open the website right now but it would be worth trying later:

https://australiamadesimple.com/migrate-to-australia-as-a-locksmith/

Otherwise, I can't find any information on how to convert your qualifications.   I found this:

https://masterlocksmiths.com.au/how-to-become-a-locksmith/

For some other trades, you basically have to work as an apprentice or assistant again for a year or so.  Locksmiths might be the same.  

As others have noted, your wife needs a partner visa so I hope you have that sorted. 

15 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

I assume your wife has a visa?

No not yet as I was under the impression once I have my passport I can apply for a spouse visa? 

9 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I found a link on Google which may help.  I can't open the website right now but it would be worth trying later:

https://australiamadesimple.com/migrate-to-australia-as-a-locksmith/

Otherwise, I can't find any information on how to convert your qualifications.   I found this:

https://masterlocksmiths.com.au/how-to-become-a-locksmith/

For some other trades, you basically have to work as an apprentice or assistant again for a year or so.  Locksmiths might be the same.  

As others have noted, your wife needs a partner visa so I hope you have that sorted. 

Thank you I’ve looked at your links, they mention us UK locksmiths needing NVQ 3 to get a license to be a locksmith, the problem is there is no NVQ for a locksmith as it’s largely unregulated in the UK. 
Plus I work for myself and apart from my initial training course I’ve learnt through being on the job.

I’ve wanted to go home for years but having to face up to this problem is a nightmare but my wife is desperate to move.

1 hour ago, Frankdobermann said:

No not yet as I was under the impression once I have my passport I can apply for a spouse visa? 

Thank you I’ve looked at your links, they mention us UK locksmiths needing NVQ 3 to get a license to be a locksmith, the problem is there is no NVQ for a locksmith as it’s largely unregulated in the UK. 
Plus I work for myself and apart from my initial training course I’ve learnt through being on the job.

I’ve wanted to go home for years but having to face up to this problem is a nightmare but my wife is desperate to move.

Yes you can apply for a spouse visa.  The current wait times are in excess of a year I believe so I thought I’d mention it. 

It’s not necessarily an issue that it’s informal in the U.K., that’s why I suggested a conversation with TAFE in whichever State you intend to move to.
It is possible that Recognised Prior Learning based on your experience and knowledge will take you 90% or even 100% of the way to being certified.

3 hours ago, Frankdobermann said:

To be sure I’m clear on this she can only apply for the visa once I’ve got my first Aus passport?!

I don’t know but I doubt it. If you’re a citizen then I don’t see that you’d need a passport to prove it. Honestly no idea but not having a valid, up to date passport doesn’t make you less of a citizen. As a citizen you surely can apply for a spouse visa. Reckon you need to do some searching to find out as if you’ve not started the spouse application yet you’re in for a long wait. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Frankdobermann said:

To be sure I’m clear on this she can only apply for the visa once I’ve got my first Aus passport?!

You can also use a birth certificate or citizenship certificate to show that you are an Aus  citizen. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LouDYorkie said:

Can citizens request a certificate if they were born here? Someone asked me a couple of weeks ago and I wasn’t sure.

Probably not but I can’t imagine it’s that hard to prove he is a citizen.  Not everyone has a passport, it makes them no less a citizen. Up until recently, my sister hadn't had a valid passport for about 20 years. She had to get one for something recently and had no trouble which as a citizen she wouldn’t. The fact this guy talks about getting/has applied for an Oz passport confirms that as he wouldn’t be getting one if he wasn’t a citizen. 

This is where I get confused, I went back to Aus for the first time in 41 yrs last year took with me my birth certificate and also a certificate of where I was born (no idea what this is my parents must have needed it).

Basically I tried to get a passport but was told I had to go to London Uk as I wasn’t classed as a “citizen” as I didn’t have a citizens card Or a driving license, which I took offence too really I wasn’t just born there I was nearly 12 when my parents left to go back to the UK for a holiday but never came back.
So I’m confused how it works if I’m an Aussie ( my nickname) why am I not classed as a citizen?! 
My passport meeting at London is in September and I seemed to understand that my wife couldn’t apply for a spouse visa as I wasn’t classed as a “citizen” until I got a passport/citizens card.

I may be totally wrong about this as being told I wasn’t a citizen even though I have a birth certificate has confused me totally!

Im not planning to go out anyway for 12 months or so.

Thanks for all the comments I appreciate everyone’s input 😀 

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Frankdobermann said:

Ok thank you for the info! I’m ok it seems as I was born in 67.

However, Australian citizens lost their Aus citizenship prior to 2002 if they took out another citizenship - so if you took on U.K. citizenship and got a passport you may have been deemed to have lost your Aus citizenship. However, all is not lost if that happened, you can now apply to have it reinstated if it was lost.  How did you get to visit Australia? Citizens can’t get visitor visas - or they shouldn’t be able to. 

Hi I visited Australia on a UK passport, I actually took my birth certificate to see how I would gain access to an Aus passport.

I rang passport control regarding this whilst in Australia and they told me I had to go back to the UK to apply for my Aus passport.

I haven’t mentioned I was a citizen just a Australian born with certificate, my passport also states (UK) that my place of birth is Wollongong Australia etc I’m sure my travel agent told me I didn’t need a visa when I went (but I could be wrong about this).

All I basically want to do is become a dual citizen so if need be I can get back to the UK in case of a family emergency.

1 hour ago, Frankdobermann said:

Hi I visited Australia on a UK passport, I actually took my birth certificate to see how I would gain access to an Aus passport.

I rang passport control regarding this whilst in Australia and they told me I had to go back to the UK to apply for my Aus passport.

I haven’t mentioned I was a citizen just a Australian born with certificate, my passport also states (UK) that my place of birth is Wollongong Australia etc I’m sure my travel agent told me I didn’t need a visa when I went (but I could be wrong about this).

All I basically want to do is become a dual citizen so if need be I can get back to the UK in case of a family emergency.

An Australian citizen cannot get a visa. You are required to enter Australia on your Australian passport if you are a citizen.

• Like 1

On 29/07/2020 at 18:38, Frankdobermann said:

Basically I tried to get a passport but was told I had to go to London Uk as I wasn’t classed as a “citizen” as I didn’t have a citizens card Or a driving license, which I took offence too really I wasn’t just born there I was nearly 12 when my parents left to go back to the UK for a holiday but never came back.
So I’m confused how it works if I’m an Aussie ( my nickname) why am I not classed as a citizen?! 

The problem with you getting your passport in Australia is that all applications in Australia require several accompanying  identity documents issued by Australian organisations - Aus. driver's licence, Aus. medicare card etc. - which you obviously don't have.   Your accompanying identity documents will be UK ones - which means they can be verified when you apply in London.

So don't take personal offence:  these are just bureacratic requirements for every applicant.

The requirements for identity documents are here:

https://www.passports.gov.au/getting-passport-how-it-works/documents-you-need/identity#category A

6 hours ago, Frankdobermann said:

In that case, I suggest your best plan is to be patient, go and get your passport, then apply for your wife's partner visa.  

If you move to Australia before July 2021, you wouldn't be allowed to leave again (even in case of a family emergency) because citizens aren't allowed to leave Australia under the travel restrictions.  So you'll be much safer to do all the applications and wait for the partner visa to be granted, then you can all move when the restrictions are relaxed late next year.

10 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

In that case, I suggest your best plan is to be patient, go and get your passport, then apply for your wife's partner visa.  

If you move to Australia before July 2021, you wouldn't be allowed to leave again (even in case of a family emergency) because citizens aren't allowed to leave Australia under the travel restrictions.  So you'll be much safer to do all the applications and wait for the partner visa to be granted, then you can all move when the restrictions are relaxed late next year.

I didn't think the date of July 2021 was set in stone, I thought it could go on indefinitely if thats what ScoMo wants.