Ignore this - this is just my list for an ideal place to live in Adelaide.

Rosie R

An ideal/pipedream place to live in Adelaide:

• Walking/Biking distance to the beach - [OR access to buses/tram lines that lead to near the beach - of course having to drive is ok if necessary!]
  • Not too far away to the main city/CBD - preferably less than an hours drive - [Access to buses/a train line that leads to the city would be good too]
  • Has a decent selection of takeaways within the suburb - [Or at least has delivery]
  • Has a cafe/coffee shop/lunch bar that I can bike or (if necessary) take a long walk to - somewhere to hangout with friends or by myself. - [again, having to take the bus/tram would be fine too]
  • Relatively close to a public park to walk the dog or hangout with friends at
  • A good local highschool (nice teachers, decent success rate/grades, etc.) nearby - [Preferably one I could walk/bike to, or with a school bus available]
  • Low enough crime rates -  [We aren't uptight or anything but it would be nice to live in a calm, friendly area, you know?]
  • Access to decent public transportation
  • Job opportunities for OT's

10 hours ago, Rosie R said:

An ideal/pipedream place to live in Adelaide:

• Walking/Biking distance to the beach - [OR access to buses/tram lines that lead to near the beach - of course having to drive is ok if necessary!]
  • Not too far away to the main city/CBD - preferably less than an hours drive - [Access to buses/a train line that leads to the city would be good too]
  • Has a decent selection of takeaways within the suburb - [Or at least has delivery]
  • Has a cafe/coffee shop/lunch bar that I can bike or (if necessary) take a long walk to - somewhere to hangout with friends or by myself. - [again, having to take the bus/tram would be fine too]
  • Relatively close to a public park to walk the dog or hangout with friends at
  • A good local highschool (nice teachers, decent success rate/grades, etc.) nearby - [Preferably one I could walk/bike to, or with a school bus available]
  • Low enough crime rates -  [We aren't uptight or anything but it would be nice to live in a calm, friendly area, you know?]
  • Access to decent public transportation
  • Job opportunities for OT's

Suburbs that spring immediately to mind that probably fulfill all requirements (although I don't know any of them that well): Glenelg, Henley Beach, Brighton, West Lakes and surrounding areas.

Suburbs that are further from the beach but fulfill the rest of the requirements: Unley, Norwood, Stepney, St Peters, Burnside, Tusmore and surrounding areas.

All mentioned suburbs are quite expensive though - you don't mention a budget.  All above suburbs are probably 20 minutes or less drive from the city, possibly slightly more in rush hour for some of them but you could walk in 20 minutes from some.  Within an hours drive of the city are loads of beach side suburbs that would mostly meet your criteria but I'm not sure on the schools or buses, but there are train stations further out.

9 hours ago, Rosie R said:

In terms of a budget, to start off with we are looking for somewhere affordable and relatively cheap that we can rent out until we get on our feet 😄

"Affordable and relatively cheap" mean different things to different people.  Do a search for rentals in the suburbs mentioned above  for current prices:

https://www.realestate.com.au/rent/ 

The listings also have links to a "Suburb Profile" - near the bottom of the page - which will give you an idea of location and amenities.

• Thanks 1

@JetBlast Thanks for the suggestions I will have a look at them! 🙂 

1 hour ago, JetBlast said:

As a rule I advise to avoid north of the CBD. Those areas tend to be a little rougher. 

I have seen some posts mentioning avoiding Northern areas. Thanks for the warning haha