190 vs 491 for Perth

JimL

Hello Everyone, 

Stumbled upon this forum when searching on the net for information. The information has been super helpful! 

Anyway, I have already filed separate EOIs for 190(75 points) and 491(85 points) for Western Australia (WA) as Social Worker. I am actually more keen to get invited on the 190 visa. I am sure WA will get to see both my EOIs at the same time.

Can I get some opinions here on:

1.Whether filing a 491 visa will "jeopardise" the chances of the 190 visa in any way?

2. Will WA choose to invite me with a 491 visa rather than the 190 visa if I actually qualify for both? Or will give invitations on both visas? 

3. I reckon my chances for 491 visa invitation will be higher. In the event that I get invited for the 491 visa, will that mean that I will not be invited for the 190 visa if I make the cut later? 

Apologies for the barrage of questions. I have been looking for information on this but couldn't find any. Thanks in advance for reading and helping! 

2 minutes ago, VERYSTORMY said:

Unless you studied in WA, then this occupation isn’t available for WA sponsorship. 

Be aware as well, that the 491 and 190 are currently effectively closed across Australia and nobody knows when they will reopen. 

Beat me to it!

21 minutes ago, JimL said:

But isn't the 491 visa based on the Long Term Skilled Occupation Lists? My profession is in that list.

Yes and no:

The 491 is available to applicants with an occupation on either the MLTSSL, STSOL or ROL AND who have a nomination from a State or Territory (and who meet the other criteria).

In your case, your occupation is on the MLTSSL but it is not on the WA general skills list, so WA won't provide a nomination. It is up to the States to decide which occupations they need and WA has a very short list for applicants who have not studied there.