You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Soniah

buying a house as temp resident

Has anyone bought a house as temporary resident in SA?

I've just read about temporary residents being classed as foreign investors and therefore needing to pay 7% extra stamp duty and apply for FIRB permission - is this correct?

Feel it's really unfair if we are to be classed as a foreign investor when working and living here and paying tax 😞

It’s probably more than 7%. In most states you’ll pay about three times the usual rate, plus the fee for FIRB. Probably not a good idea to buy as you’re not guaranteed to get PR and you won’t recoup those extra costs if you have to sell

• Like 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

I’m in the same boat. I’m renting again because it would cost me around 50k in additional fees for a 400k house.

Sucks Bigtime 

8 hours ago, Samson said:

I’m in the same boat. I’m renting again because it would cost me around 50k in additional fees for a 400k house.

Sucks Bigtime 

It does, but on a short term visa, you would be unwise to buy a house anyway 

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke