Bookkeeper & Domestic Appliance Engineer

Hi there. 
My sister lives in Australia. I would like to join her soon.
I'm 35 and my partner is 43. I have my own small accountancy practice and also work for a Bank as a customer service advisor. I am AAT level 3 qualified. Starting my level 4. (Professional diploma)
My partner is a domestic appliance engineer (washing machines ect) and has older qualifications in heating & plumbing and gas. (Unused right now).
We have a 6 Yr old child together. Not married.
What chance have we got to migrating to Australia as it stands? 

Any advice or knowledge is much appreciated. Thank you.

Hi and welcome.

To migrate to Australia, one of you needs to be eligible for a visa, and that person makes the application.   The rest of the family are then included (not being married makes no difference).

To be eligible, you must have an occupation that's on the skilled list.  You must also have the qualifications and experience specified.  Then you have to score enough points.  If you fail on any of those steps, you can't migrate to Australia, end of story.   Having family in Australia won't make any difference to that (although it can be an advantage if you do meet the other criteria).

The bad news for you is that the cutoff date for visas is 45, so if your husband has to be the primary applicant, you will have to move very quickly to get in before he's too old.  The whole process of migrating can take a year or more, (and it's longer currently because everything is on hold due to Covid).  

I suggest you have an initial consultation with a good migration agent immediately.  Try Suncoast Migration or Go Matilda.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

Thank you so much for your reply, I will get in touch with a migration agent. 

Is it possible to wait a few years and work towards a degree in accounting. If I am the main applicant would it matter the age of my spouse? 

Thank you for your time 🙏 ☺ 

35 minutes ago, Tina1999 said:

Thank you so much for your reply, I will get in touch with a migration agent. 

Is it possible to wait a few years and work towards a degree in accounting. If I am the main applicant would it matter the age of my spouse? 

No, the age of your spouse wouldn't matter.    However, if you wait a few years, it's highly likely that Accountant won't be on the skilled list any more.   They've been talking about taking it off the list for the last few years.   

Even if it's on the list, it will be highly competitive.  To give you an idea, currently you only need 65 points to be eligible to apply for a visa.  But there are so many accountants applying, you won't even be considered if you can't score more than 95 points.

Wow. Looks like we need to act fast then. I think an agent would be the best bet. Or a complete career change 🙄

I'll get on it this week. Better dig out my other halfs qualifications.   

I'll keep you posted on any progress we make. 

Thanks again 🙂

Career change is unlikely to help, as you'd get no experience points for it until you've been doing it for a few years, and by then you'd be losing points for your age increase.

Best advice already given by Marisa, talk to an agent, they'll give you a candid view of whether this is a pipe dream or something you can make happen.

There are a few good agents who post regularly on these forums (their post signature explicitly says they are agents) so any of those would be a good starting point for you

• Like 1