Phone contacts

Aussiebird

Can anyone recommend reasonably priced mobile phone providers in Australia please?

We have just checked with Telstra online and very expensive!

Are there cheaper companies who offer good deals that include the phone or is sim only the cheapest option?

Many thanks. Xx

They’re generally more expensive than U.K. providers. It’ll be a good idea to check the coverage maps because there is quite a difference in who covers what areas so check where you will be living for the best coverage. Unfortunately Telstra does have the best coverage in general. Then it will depend on what you actually want from your phone in terms of data, talk minutes, international calls and texts etc. So it’s very much person specific. There are quite a few review sites out there which compare the offerings and you can input what’s important to you. The DH is with Telstra, I’m with Vodafone and the son is with Optus - we all wanted slightly different things.  I think we are all sim only because we bought our iPhones outright.

Edited by Quoll

Do a search online, I've just ordered 2 sim cards from moose which are on telstra I think.

$14.80 each with unlimited calls (in Australia), unlimited txt and 6GB of data.

The contracts seem expensive but when you are earning dollars they will work out the same as the UK.

Edited by Lavers

43 minutes ago, Lavers said:

Do a search online, I've just ordered 2 sim cards from moose which are on telstra I think.

$14.80 each with unlimited calls (in Australia), unlimited txt and 6GB of data.

The contracts seem expensive but when you are earning dollars they will work out the same as the UK.

Thanks Lavers.  I'm assuming you have paid separately for the phone?

Telstra is the most expensive. If you're going to be in one of the big cities, getting coverage from other providers won't be a problem. 

If you have your own unlocked phone, there are plenty of good deals around.  We use Lebara and Kogan on prepaid plans.  

https://www.lebara.com.au/

If you need to buy a phone, this comparison site might help:

https://www.canstarblue.com.au/phone/

• Like 1

The fact that my Dh said his pre-paid needed recharging and your enquiry got me thinking - so I changed today - I went with Telstra (much as it pains me to say) and for 6 months $150 - so $25 a month -  I get something like 3000 minutes of international talk time to UK (which is important given that I am executing a will and have an elderly uncle in a care home) plus 60gb of data - so if the wifi goes belly  up I should be fine and international texts (not everyone has an iPhone or WhatsApp) at 20c each but $50 worth of credit to cover them.  The Dh renewed his today too and as we have been known to venture out to places quite far from civilisation it seemed like a good way to go.  Saving myself $15 a month off the Vodafone I had been using.  In different times I may have done differently but the international calls are important for me at the moment.

I have always bought phones and had sim only supply. Currently with Aldi $25 a month gives me Telstra service with international calls and more data than I can use at it rolls over. Never had an issue with them, not a contract so can change or cancel without penalty. 

• Like 1

Just a quick heads up on this but make sure you get your phone unlocked if bringing it from the UK. 

That caught me out for the first week I was here. Once unlocked you can put any sim in there as I was with O2 in the UK and they put a lock on them if you are in a contract 

• Like 1

If you still want your UK Sim in your phone just in case someone calls you but you want an Australia number as well, then if you have a newish iPhone then it probably supports eSims(check first!) which allow you to do this.  It's also useful if you have poor coverage on Vodafone, get a Telstra PAYG as a backup too for when you go rural.

I set mine up and it's working great.  I got a physical Vodafone Sim from Woolies, signed up, then requested an eSim replacement on the website.  10 minutes later I could take the physical sim out and throw it away.  I then put my UK sim back in the phone. 

I'm connected to both networks at the same time and can receive calls from both numbers, this sounds complicated but honestly Apple make it easy to understand and use.

• 3 weeks later...

I use Boost mobile for $20 a month I get

5GB of data
Unlimited domestic & International calls to 15 countries (inc UK)
Unlimited domestic & International texts to 15 countries (inc UK)

Boost uses the Telstra network so you get the best possible coverage. I travel to regional areas with work and it has always worked well.

• Like 1