Breakup of Relationship.... On 482.... During Covid.... Argh!

Hi there, 

My ex is currently defacto on my 482 visa, and I am stuck with a bit of a dilemma in relation to what to do with the visa situation. Dont worry people have it worse but would appreciate some opinions

• Understandably, to stay in australia, my ex would need to be on a visa, however they are currently dependent on mine, to work and stay in australia. 
  • I understand that I need to update immigration with a change in circumstances, however it would be cruel given the current COVID climate to update this, and leave them with 60 days to leave and no option to turn back. 
  • The ex intends to stay in australia, however has no relevant skills and would not really have a chance of getting a visa going out on their own. 
  • They ended the relationship, it was their doing, however, I feel if I pull the trigger to update circumstances its all on me. 

The question is what do people think I should do in relation to this?

Obviously there are the letter of the law things that you should do. But i also want to just get rid of the dependency and not have to worry about her. There are also the considerations of being cruel during this time to leave somebody without a net in this climate is a bit cruel. 

You're too nice.  Legally you have an obligation to advise Immigration, what they do with that information is then up to them.  Your ex will have to stand on her own two feet. I assume you dont have kids to worry about - that could complicate the issue  a lot!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Quoll said:

You're too nice.  Legally you have an obligation to advise Immigration, what they do with that information is then up to them.  Your ex will have to stand on her own two feet. I assume you dont have kids to worry about - that could complicate the issue  a lot!

As Quoll said, you're too nice.  Your ex partner ended the relationship and yes it is a bit rough for both of you but your ex partner  must realise the ramifications.  It surely doesn't come as a big surprise.  Not having children makes it a lot easier.  Does she/he realise the problems to be faced re a visa?

Edited by Toots

1 hour ago, daithi1990 said:

My ex is currently defacto on my 482 visa,

• The ex intends to stay in australia, however has no relevant skills and would not really have a chance of getting a visa going out on their own. 
  • They ended the relationship, it was their doing, however, I feel if I pull the trigger to update circumstances its all on me. 

Legally, if you don't notify the authorities and you get found out, you could be in a whole world of trouble.  In fact, your own visa could be cancelled.   Not worth the risk. 

• Like 1

Agree with others regarding your legal responsibility, technically in the current climate it could take immigration a little while to attend to the information and the clock won't start ticking for you ex until immigration notify them (not you submitting the change in circumstances).