22 hours ago, MARYROSE02 said:

I never get bored walking a couple of miles north or south then coming back along the beach. Sometimes I go a little further on the 'G'  the wonderful tram service they have here stretching from Helensvale to Broadbeach (hopefully on to the airport i believe?

@MARYROSE02 have you been down to Burleigh yet? There's a beautiful little walk around the headland (about a mile each way) which is relatively flat, if you walk back the same way...

Avoid weekends though! 🙂 

20200403_145327.jpg

20200403_145852.jpg

20200403_150250.jpg

20200403_151209.jpg

• Like 1

Burleigh? No, I've not been down there yet and it is Sunday so I won't do it today. I'll go down there maybe one day this week or next. Twice last week, on Wed and Thursday I got the tram to Main Beach which I'd not done before, and walked along Tedder Ave. I was impressed by it, a lovely little strip of restaurants, bars, real estate agents(!?) and shops. Sort of 'posh' atmosphere. I'd walked up the beach a few times without even finding 'the shops'. A guy who lives in Main Beach told me it is nice but after 8pm or so it goes qiuet. It's been the first part of the Gold Coast other than where I am now on Cavill Ave that I was really taken by. It's a bit further to the beach and the tram stop is across a wide road, still only 3 stops back to Cavill Ave.

It's odd how certain places appeal to me and not others and I know it is subjective because the things I like about Cavill Ave will repel others.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Six months on from first moving to Surfers Paradise, i still like it here, and prefer it to anywhere else, I do however have a soft spot for Main Beach, especially around the main shopping/restaurant area, Teddar Avenue. It has a feel of, say, Paddington, Mosman, Double Bay about it. I went for breakfast there yesterday to meet a friend at Le Jardin. I got the tram from Cavill Avenue, three stops and it's a five minute walk across the Godl Coast Highway. There are still tourists of course but not so much the partying kind.  I like it a lot but I think I still prefer the sheer convenience of everything at Cavill Avenue.

On 15/10/2020 at 01:28, The Pom Queen said:

The crime rate has remained steady over the years. If you look at the official stats for 2019 overall crime for Cairns which includes drug offences, domestic violence etc was around 18,000.  The Gold Coast 65,000.

To put that into perspective, the 2016 census figures show the population of Cairns as 150,041 and the Gold Coast as 540,559, so 1:3.6

Your 2019 crime stats are 18,000 to 65,000 so 1:3.6

Clearly therefore neither area should be regarded as more crime ridden than the other.