We are retirees and are considering moving into Queensland - our wish list is as follows:

Low bogan/tourist population, no air b n b parties, community atmosphere,  safe to jog at night, Not on a flood or flight path zone, on residential/medium density zone, Best for retirees not wanting to drive

under 1 hour drive: major airport

under 10 min level walk:

bus/tram/train stop - to reliable public transportation (every 20 mins or under) local shopping, medical facilities, cafes, restaurants

Level Walking tracks, Beaches for swimming, not surfing

By public transport :

under 15 min to major shopping, major Hospital, Catholic church

under 30 min to theatres, movies, gym, pool or group exercises - pilates, zumba 

Which suburb would you recommend?

4 hours ago, Rthursty said:

We are retirees and are considering moving into Queensland - our wish list is as follows:

Low bogan/tourist population, no air b n b parties, community atmosphere,  safe to jog at night, Not on a flood or flight path zone, on residential/medium density zone, Best for retirees not wanting to drive

under 10 min level walk:

bus/tram/train stop - to reliable public transportation (every 20 mins or under) local shopping, medical facilities, cafes, restaurants

By public transport :

Its going to be hard to be very close to the beach and not have tourists around.

Have you looked at the complex living? There are quite a few around Paradise Point, Hope Island etc and they tend to have pools. gyms etc and are secure and gated so you dont need to worry too much about idiots on your doorstep. Alternatively i would look hinterland side of the highway at some of the small towns and villages.

Cal x

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rthursty said:

under 10 min level walk:

By public transport :

My son and his family live in caloundra (moffat beach), it ticks all the boxes you want, we move over in december (fingers crossed). we have been 5 times in the last 10 years for 6 weeks at a time and it is a gorgeous place to live.

• Like 2

I lived in Coolangatta 8-10 years ago and loved it. It was always my plan to move there once I returned to Australia, which I did in January. The Gold Coast has become hellishly busy in the last 5 years, even the southern part around Coolie and Burleigh, which used to be a bit of secret. We have Trip Advisor ect to thank for this and now the place is overrun with backpackers, gappers and Brazilian students. It doesn't have the same feel as it used to so I'm looking at the Sunshine Coast instead. Sounds like Noosa would tick most of your boxes - you should get up here and do a recky while the border's are still open 🙂 

• Like 1

Thanks for your replies

We love Kirra/Coolangatta but there are not too many free standing houses on level ground and walking to the shops is not level. We.need to be close to public transport that's why we have taken Hope Island and other gated communities out of  the short list. We love the Cairns and Port Douglas but we don't like the storms. Have to keep exploring.

• Like 1

I lived for nealy 4 years in Cairns - I taught in a school there. During that time I always wanted to return to Brisbane because I considered Cairns to be rather provincial, but on reflection there's a lot to love about the place. It hasn't been 'ruined' yet like parts of South East Queensland, and when I left there in 2015 it still had the feel of a place that was relatively unspoilt.. Cairns is blinking hot of course, and depending on your tolerance to the heat it might be such a great location in retirement.

On 14/07/2020 at 20:32, kimboslice said:

My son and his family live in caloundra (moffat beach), it ticks all the boxes you want, we move over in december (fingers crossed). we have been 5 times in the last 10 years for 6 weeks at a time and it is a gorgeous place to live.

What is your impression of Bundall/Sorrento or Mermaid Waters? Is there a community atmosphere? I heard Labrador/Southport is not a safe area. Do you agree or has it changed over the years?

31 minutes ago, Rthursty said:

What is your impression of Bundall/Sorrento or Mermaid Waters? Is there a community atmosphere? I heard Labrador/Southport is not a safe area. Do you agree or has it changed over the years?

Sorry never visited any of those areas 😞

• 1 month later...
On 14/07/2020 at 20:32, kimboslice said:

Are you familiar with the area? Which streets would you recommend - quiet but close to amenities? Thanks in advance.

We have a 4 bed townhouse which we are currently renting out. It’s in a gated complex called Runaway Royale, Coombabah.  I know there’s a bus stop just outside the complex.  The shopping mall (runaway bay) is about 3 minutes by car and there is a much bigger one called harbour town about 6 minutes by car. There’s a health centre near-by.  The residents in the complex are a mixed bunch, lots of retirees. It’s quiet and orderly. Brisbane airport is under an hour away.  Maybe that’s a suburb worth exploring ?

10 hours ago, blondie said:

We have a 4 bed townhouse which we are currently renting out. It’s in a gated complex called Runaway Royale, Coombabah.  I know there’s a bus stop just outside the complex.  The shopping mall (runaway bay) is about 3 minutes by car and there is a much bigger one called harbour town about 6 minutes by car. There’s a health centre near-by.  The residents in the complex are a mixed bunch, lots of retirees. It’s quiet and orderly. Brisbane airport is under an hour away.  Maybe that’s a suburb worth exploring ?

10 hours ago, blondie said:

Thanks for this. Is the area hilly ?

On 14/07/2020 at 18:32, kimboslice said:

We,ve been to the gold coast and sunshine coast a few times. First time we went was for the national surf lifesaving championships a few years back and my wife booked an apartment in Caloundra off the web. It was brilliant, next to the beach, good price. Enjoyed it there.

Also been to Port Douglas which we loved and Cairns which was nice too. Port Douglas had a really nice feel to it but we were there just before the wet season kicks in. We spoke to a lot of grey nomads who were all getting ready to move South.

6 hours ago, Rthursty said:

Are there midges everywhere or only in certain areas?

They are worse up in the tropical parts but it's not all year. Sunshine and Gold coast I didn't find them a problem. We found it humid coming from Perth but Sydney is more humid than here so you might not be bothered by it.

• Like 1

On 14/07/2020 at 19:50, Wanderer Returns said:

I lived in Coolangatta 8-10 years ago and loved it. It was always my plan to move there once I returned to Australia, which I did in January. The Gold Coast has become hellishly busy in the last 5 years, even the southern part around Coolie and Burleigh, which used to be a bit of secret. We have Trip Advisor ect to thank for this and now the place is overrun with backpackers, gappers and Brazilian students. It doesn't have the same feel as it used to so I'm looking at the Sunshine Coast instead. Sounds like Noosa would tick most of your boxes - you should get up here and do a recky while the border's are still open 🙂 

Yeh, Noosa's nice.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rthursty said:

Both

They are two different things so you’ll need to get used to using the right names (mosquitoes are mozzies here). 

Mozzies are all over Australia but more widespread where it’s humid. You’re either a mozzie magnet or you’re not, so just hope you’re not! 

They carry some nasty diseases so just make sure you don’t have stagnant water in your garden and you have good fly screens on your doors and windows. You learn to live with them