Mental health Branch - newly qualifed nurse

Hello :) 

Just a quick one, I am going to graduate next year in mental health nursing. I love Australia and after thinking about it for some time I have decided I would love to move to Australia as soon as possible to build a life over there with my career too ; from what ive read and nurses ive spoke to it just sounds fantastic and nurses are treated very well. Do I have to work in the UK first, and if so how long minimum? 😖

I was planning on starting a job in NHS community work when I get my pin and then start the process of applying?

My friend suggested the working holiday visa but I would have one year left to apply for working holiday visa (18-30) and I would rather just apply for the permeant as I want to settle down and build a life, not going back and forth with my life hanging on visas. 

Any advice :) ? thanksss

6 minutes ago, teaandcakexx said:

Hello 🙂

Just a quick one, I am going to graduate next year in mental health nursing. I love Australia and after thinking about it for some time I have decided I would love to move to Australia as soon as possible to build a life over there with my career too ; from what ive read and nurses ive spoke to it just sounds fantastic and nurses are treated very well. Do I have to work in the UK first, and if so how long minimum? 😖

I was planning on starting a job in NHS community work when I get my pin and then start the process of applying?

My friend suggested the working holiday visa but I would have one year left to apply for working holiday visa (18-30) and I would rather just apply for the permeant as I want to settle down and build a life, not going back and forth with my life hanging on visas. 

Any advice 🙂 ? thanksss

Borders are closed to WHV holders until at least next year, so forget that one

24 minutes ago, teaandcakexx said:

Hello 🙂

Any advice 🙂 ? thanksss

My advice would be to get some qualified experience behind you as that will make you more competitive when it comes to applying for jobs.  Australia doesn't have the same need for nurses that it once did and I know it's taken new Australian graduates some time to get into permanent positions.  Have a check on the ANMAC website - to see what criteria you will need to meet in order to apply for a skills assessment once qualified and also AHPRA website to see what you need for registration.

3 hours ago, teaandcakexx said:

To get a skilled visa, you need qualifications AND experience.   So you have two choices - stay in the UK until you've gained enough experience, or grab the WHV while you have the chance (though that will depend when the borders open - will late next year be too late for you?).  

If you can get the necessary registrations before you go, having a year's Australian experience could be very useful when you get to the point of applying for permanent jobs in Australia in the future. 

I suggest booking a consultation with a migration agent to discover what qualifications and experience you'll need for the permanent visa, then you'll know where you stand.

Edited by Marisawright

I would advise getting a sponsored visa. You will still be able to get a permanent visa faster by coming over on a sponsored visa, working through your probation and asking HR to sponsor your permanent visa. 

Major drawback with that is, you are tied to your employer.

There is a lot of burnout amongst metropolitan Area Mental Health Services. So I would suggest you get some experience in UK, then come over when your NHS skills are kosher because then you can be resilient to the "different" way of working this side. Otherwise you too will just crash an burn out along the Aussie nurses, who fortunately for them, will be allowed to change their speciality and go into any other field as they like, whilst you are stuck with our speciality.

(Source - I am a RMN/RPN with lots of experience and currently in Victoria on a permanent visa)