Supply teacher

Dreambig1

Hi there

I was just wondering if anyone has any experience supply teaching in Victoria....is it relatively high demand like here in the UK? I’m. A qualified primary teacher (20 years) and supplied since the birth of my children 8 years ago. When we move I hope to do the same, adhoc work - any tips gratefully received!

That rather depends on whereabouts in Victoria you are and how well you can inveigle you’re way into a school to get known but generally no, not in high demand like U.K. Self funding schools try and keep their costs down so they will tend to go for the cheaper options where they can (new young teachers cost less than old experienced teachers and doubling up on classes costs even less).  Some areas - rural/remote are likely to have a smaller population of possible relief teachers so you’d probably be more likely to get a gig.  Usually, people approach schools to get their faces known and if they like you, you’ll be first cab off the rank for relief - it’s always harder to get your foot in the door in the”good” schools too, so you could Find yourself in maybe one of the not so good schools! If you’re only after pocket money you should be ok but if you need to live on it then I’d find a different career. 

No, it's not high demand.  I've known Working Holiday Visa holders in Melbourne who have managed to do supply teaching, but it wasn't reliable. 

Out in the regional areas, it's hard to get supply teachers due to the distances involved, so they've got used to managing without.   Instead, the existing teachers are expected to teach - not just cover -  classes in the most unlikely subjects.  That was the thing my (now ex-)husband hated about working in country Victoria.   He's a science teacher but ended up having to teach things like history and life skills. 

• Like 1

OH was registered with an agency and for the short time they did it, the work was there. Availability was given for a 1hour radius (driving) and there was work 70% of the time by phone in the morning, if not already agreed to specific stints (like 2weeks sick leave cover in one place etc)

7 hours ago, Dreambig1 said:

Hi there

I was just wondering if anyone has any experience supply teaching in Victoria....is it relatively high demand like here in the UK? I’m. A qualified primary teacher (20 years) and supplied since the birth of my children 8 years ago. When we move I hope to do the same, adhoc work - any tips gratefully received!

Or you can also go on the council website for your area and get school phone numbers and call them directly to see if they need CRT (Casual Relief Teachers). Register direct with the school and they will call you when they need you. Rate is about the same as agency ... I think