Sudden pull to move back to UK after 8 years in Aus

Anita85

I have struggled with homesickness in bouts over the years, but covid-19 seems to have triggered something in me and I'm desperately homesick. I feel trapped as I'm in a relationship here, with pets and a great job. Why am I considering leaving all this now? I'm booked to see a counselor. Just wondered if anyone else has suddenly had a change of heart like me ? 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Anita85 said:

I have struggled with homesickness in bouts over the years, but covid-19 seems to have triggered something in me and I'm desperately homesick. I feel trapped as I'm in a relationship here, with pets and a great job. Why am I considering leaving all this now? I'm booked to see a counselor. Just wondered if anyone else has suddenly had a change of heart like me ? 

Do you have family in the UK? It may be anxiety reaction related to this awful situation we all find ourselves in, your'e feeling of being out of control in a dangerous situation and home (UK) is pulling you back as it where your family are. It also may be a subconscious reaction to the fact that you are likely trapped in Australia due to the ban on leaving the country.

I feel similar to be honest, but it the opposite for me as i already left Australia 3 yers ago to return to UK and pretty much for 3 years regretted that decision and wanted to go back...this year was the year for return but our plans are now in the air....... since Covid started my absolute certainty of wanting to return to Aus has started to fade, i'm not longer sure it the right choice and the pressure of making the decision is giving me Anxiety like i've never experienced in my life 😞 

Do you feel trapped by your relationship? If your not happy with them perhaps this is the reason also, when we break up with someone we crave familiar surroundings and friends/family. I know i did when i left my ex in Australia. I hope you feel abit better soon. I keep reminding myself that nothing in life is permanent and better days will come

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Anita85 said:

Hi Anita85. My husband and I moved here three years ago to be with my daughter and grandchildren and have felt a bit homesick from time to time but nothing drastic. Since COVID I have had a few days when I’ve felt desperate to go home. I am absolutely sure this is a reaction to being unable to do so, nomatter what. A double whammy for me is that I haven’t even got a passport - I returned it on April 6 because it was about to expire and the new one is still not here!    I think it’s a normal reaction to abnormal circumstances and we just have to ride it out. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RosieH11 said:

Do you have family in the UK? It may be anxiety reaction related to this awful situation we all find ourselves in, your'e feeling of being out of control in a dangerous situation and home (UK) is pulling you back as it where your family are. It also may be a subconscious reaction to the fact that you are likely trapped in Australia due to the ban on leaving the country.

I feel similar to be honest, but it the opposite for me as i already left Australia 3 yers ago to return to UK and pretty much for 3 years regretted that decision and wanted to go back...this year was the year for return but our plans are now in the air....... since Covid started my absolute certainty of wanting to return to Aus has started to fade, i'm not longer sure it the right choice and the pressure of making the decision is giving me Anxiety like i've never experienced in my life 😞 

Do you feel trapped by your relationship? If your not happy with them perhaps this is the reason also, when we break up with someone we crave familiar surroundings and friends/family. I know i did when i left my ex in Australia. I hope you feel abit better soon. I keep reminding myself that nothing in life is permanent and better days will come

All my family are in the UK, except for a really close friend who moved here with with. I am experiencing anxiety, like you, that I have never felt before. It's torturous. I definitely feel trapped and Covid-19 taking away my travel options might be the reason why.

I got shut down and was off work for over two Months, that's when I began to analyze what's important. I moved here for the lifestyle and better work option. But once that was all taken away due to lockdown I began to question if that's truly what's important in life.

What were the reasons for you leaving aus? And now you want to return? This also scares me. I know the UK is not perfect. I sometimes feel like I will feel unsettled wherever I go

My relationship has not be the best recently and I also wonder if that's being a trigger for wanting to go home

My biggest worry, which only pet owners will understand is how to deal with that if you do have a break up? We share a dog and 3 cats and love them like kids. I could never leave them, or take them. That's adding to my trapped feeling.

Thanks for your reply x

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Fisher1 said:

Hi Anita85. My husband and I moved here three years ago to be with my daughter and grandchildren and have felt a bit homesick from time to time but nothing drastic. Since COVID I have had a few days when I’ve felt desperate to go home. I am absolutely sure this is a reaction to being unable to do so, nomatter what. A double whammy for me is that I haven’t even got a passport - I returned it on April 6 because it was about to expire and the new one is still not here!    I think it’s a normal reaction to abnormal circumstances and we just have to ride it out. 

Thank you, I appreciate it

• Like 1

Good luck with the counselling. I hope you get one who is good at CBT or ACT - lots of strategies that might help you through each day. 
I certainly resonate with the trapped and in the wrong place but I’ve known it was the wrong place for at least a couple of decades - and it didn’t take me being in the right place for the last 8+ years to confirm that. The trappedness Does just add to the angst.  If you can reframe - basically, you don’t have the option to leave (not without considerable bureaucratic shenanigans anyway) so start planning for when the entrapment will be lifted so that your rational decision can go smoothly at that point.  Ironically, although I know I am in the wrong place and would give my eye teeth to be back in UK the fact that the government tells me I can’t be there has shifted the resentment I sometimes feel away from my  General circumstances to the nasty big brother Government - oddly, easier to handle! 
Never been in the situation of having pets but it may be that your partner doesn’t feel as passionate about them as you do.  
Good luck! Hard decision but get your citizenship and you’re free to come and go as you like. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Anita85 said:

All my family are in the UK, except for a really close friend who moved here with with. I am experiencing anxiety, like you, that I have never felt before. It's torturous. I definitely feel trapped and Covid-19 taking away my travel options might be the reason why.

I got shut down and was off work for over two Months, that's when I began to analyze what's important. I moved here for the lifestyle and better work option. But once that was all taken away due to lockdown I began to question if that's truly what's important in life.

Yes honestly i think Covid situation whether is affects us directly or not is the main reason for major anxiety for millions of people right now, i have been fortunate to be working throughout it all all so have somewhat kept my mind busy, however i still feel like what am i working for? We earn money for what end if we cannot enjoy life? Nothing to look forward to? then i went down a really dark hole of feeling guilty as their are people in terrible situation in countries where there is no hope for freedoms even way before Covid. i know this sounds very dramatic but honestly i started just feeling like working all hour god sends is pointless. But then i felt i had to tell someone how i felt and i mentioned this to some of my work mates and friends and they all said they felt the same way! Its defiantly having our freedoms restricted has caused this.Lets just hope it only temporary x

15 minutes ago, Anita85 said:

What were the reasons for you leaving aus? And now you want to return? This also scares me. I know the UK is not perfect. I sometimes feel like I will feel unsettled wherever I go

My long term relationship broke down, we had just got our PR a month before, we were i though on cloud 9 and then i caught him cheating on me and that was it, over, I kicked him out! it was  truely awful time. A few months went by and i realised i was just so depressed and I just needed to get away, i went on holiday to Thailand on my own and decided i was going to travel for a while and i just never went back. I spent 5 months travelling then came back to the UK to visit family... fully intended to go back to Aus and start life again but then I met a boy in the UK,  fell in love and got stuck for now 3 years ...  🙂  this boy was an old school friend from 15 years ago! its funny how life turns out ! Still i never really felt settled in the UK and i miss the beach! There some nice beaches in UK but they are so packed all the time... i miss big empty beaches of Queensland! We want to return together but its proving quite difficult in the current climate. One piece of advice il give you is if you don't yet have Aussie citizenship, and your in the position to get it and soon then please get it before you leave! At least then you can always come back if you do decide to leave, I didn't get mine and i regret it now as returning for me will get a lot harder very soon 

23 minutes ago, Anita85 said:

My relationship has not be the best recently and I also wonder if that's being a trigger for wanting to go home

My biggest worry, which only pet owners will understand is how to deal with that if you do have a break up? We share a dog and 3 cats and love them like kids. I could never leave them, or take them. That's adding to my trapped feeling.

I feel for you 😞 Its a tough decision to make, you have to follow your gut, sometimes its just a phase we go through and right now its a high stress time so keep that in mind also. I to had a pet cat with my Ex, broke my heart to leave him behind, that cat got me through some of the darkest days of my break-up. My ex has him now and actually i think it turned out well as it gave him something to take responsibility for and we still keep in touch (mainly because of the cat!) 🙂  

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Quoll said:

Good luck with the counselling. I hope you get one who is good at CBT or ACT - lots of strategies that might help you through each day. 
I certainly resonate with the trapped and in the wrong place but I’ve known it was the wrong place for at least a couple of decades - and it didn’t take me being in the right place for the last 8+ years to confirm that. The trappedness Does just add to the angst.  If you can reframe - basically, you don’t have the option to leave (not without considerable bureaucratic shenanigans anyway) so start planning for when the entrapment will be lifted so that your rational decision can go smoothly at that point.  Ironically, although I know I am in the wrong place and would give my eye teeth to be back in UK the fact that the government tells me I can’t be there has shifted the resentment I sometimes feel away from my  General circumstances to the nasty big brother Government - oddly, easier to handle! 
Never been in the situation of having pets but it may be that your partner doesn’t feel as passionate about them as you do.  
Good luck! Hard decision but get your citizenship and you’re free to come and go as you like. 

Thank you so much. I will be able to get citizenship in a couple of months, so will definitely get so I have the option to move back. 

For me now it feels like a waiting game. When everything returns to normal, travel wise I will take an extended trip to UK to try and work out my feelings.

I'm wondering if this is an age thing too. When I moved here it was all about adventure, travel, fun. Now I'm almost a decade in I just miss my roots. I never thought I would feel this way.

Thanks again for your comment

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, RosieH11 said:

Yes honestly i think Covid situation whether is affects us directly or not is the main reason for major anxiety for millions of people right now, i have been fortunate to be working throughout it all all so have somewhat kept my mind busy, however i still feel like what am i working for? We earn money for what end if we cannot enjoy life? Nothing to look forward to? then i went down a really dark hole of feeling guilty as their are people in terrible situation in countries where there is no hope for freedoms even way before Covid. i know this sounds very dramatic but honestly i started just feeling like working all hour god sends is pointless. But then i felt i had to tell someone how i felt and i mentioned this to some of my work mates and friends and they all said they felt the same way! Its defiantly having our freedoms restricted has caused this.Lets just hope it only temporary x

My back to the UK to visit family... fully intended to go back to Aus and start life again but then I met a boy in the UK,  fell in love and got stuck for now 3 years ...  🙂  this boy was an old school friend from 15 years ago! its funny how life turns out ! Still i never really felt settled in the UK and i miss the beach! There some nice beaches in UK but they are so packed all the time... i miss big empty beaches of Queensland! We want to return together but its proving quite difficult in the current climate. One piece of advice il give you is if you don't yet have Aussie citizenship, and your in the position to get it and soon then please get it before you leave! At least then you can always come back if you do decide to leave, I didn't get mine and i regret it now as returning for me will get a lot harder very soon 

I feel for you 😞 Its a tough decision to make, you have to follow your gut, sometimes its just a phase we go through and right now its a high stress time so keep that in mind also. I to had a pet cat with my Ex, broke my heart to leave him behind, that cat got me through some of the darkest days of my break-up. My ex has him now and actually i think it turned out well as it gave him something to take responsibility for and we still keep in touch (mainly because of the cat!) 🙂  

The way you she described the anxiety's around Working and COVID and that sense of is it all worth it- is exactly how I feel. My main reason for being here - the good life, earning well- has been tipped on its head. I too have spoken to people who are changing the way they work and live. I wonder if it's a phase... Or if my goals have changed 

I can get my citizenship in a couple of months so will get this just in case

I've learnt over time that I can be impulsive. So I'm trying to really ride this one out. Its been four months of constant back and forth. Perhaps when the boarders open and I can have a visit that will help guide me

I feel lost knowing where I belong too. The thought of leaving either country is overwhelming.

I hope you and your new man and come to Aus and you finally feel settled. I too love the outdoors life. I wonder if I loved back to the UK if I'd crave that too.

Thank you for the pet advice also 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Anita85 said:

I'm wondering if this is an age thing too. When I moved here it was all about adventure, travel, fun. Now I'm almost a decade in I just miss my roots. I never thought I would feel this way.

It could well be.  I'm in my sixties now and have never got tired of Australia, but I didn't move here for adventure in the first place - I'd already had a few.  

The questions to ask yourself are (and sorry, yes, it is a bit morbid):  Am I looking forward to growing old in Australia?   Am I happy at the thought of being buried in Australian soil?   If your reaction to those questions is strongly negative, then for goodness sake, find a way to go home.   The more you let the years go by, the harder and harder it will get.  In your early fifties, you'll get to the point where it's too late to establish yourself back in the UK, because you'll lose too much financially (pensions etc).  The sooner you go back, the longer you'll have to create a new life in the UK - and remember, you don't have to go back to where you came from.  Different parts of the UK offer very different experiences.  

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

It could well be.  I'm in my sixties now and have never got tired of Australia, but I didn't move here for adventure in the first place - I'd already had a few.  

The questions to ask yourself are (and sorry, yes, it is a bit morbid):  Am I looking forward to growing old in Australia?   Am I happy at the thought of being buried in Australian soil?   If your reaction to those questions is strongly negative, then for goodness sake, find a way to go home.   The more you let the years go by, the harder and harder it will get.  In your early fifties, you'll get to the point where it's too late to establish yourself back in the UK, because you'll lose too much financially (pensions etc).  The sooner you go back, the longer you'll have to create a new life in the UK - and remember, you don't have to go back to where you came from.  Different parts of the UK offer very different experiences.  

Thank you, those questions surely have got the brain ticking over. I appreciate it.

You're right, another UK Location could be good. I'm not sure I could go back to my home town forever. I have half my family now moved and living in London so this is a possibility.

The messes I get myself into 

Thanks again 

7 hours ago, Anita85 said:

Thank you, those questions surely have got the brain ticking over. I appreciate it.

You're right, another UK Location could be good. I'm not sure I could go back to my home town forever. I have half my family now moved and living in London so this is a possibility.

The messes I get myself into 

Thanks again 

You haven’t got yourself into a mess, you are just going through a bad patch - whatever you decide this experience won’t have been wasted. I think living outside the UK for many years (before Australia) has made me a much more tolerant and patient person. I have to tell you the my first experience of homesickness was when my family moved from a terraced Street in Liverpool to a little village near Chester. I was twelve at the time, and lost all my friends at a stroke, had to walk round my new school wearing the uniform from the last one (it was permitted to wear your former uniform out) and I used to sit in school sometimes with my eyes squeezed shut, pretending I was in my former classroom. We had moved about sixty miles. Sometimes things just aren’t right - my family all felt the dislocation in different ways and we moved again in under two years, without a backward glance. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Anita85 said:

The way you she described the anxiety's around Working and COVID and that sense of is it all worth it- is exactly how I feel. My main reason for being here - the good life, earning well- has been tipped on its head. I too have spoken to people who are changing the way they work and live. I wonder if it's a phase... Or if my goals have changed 

I can get my citizenship in a couple of months so will get this just in case

I've learnt over time that I can be impulsive. So I'm trying to really ride this one out. Its been four months of constant back and forth. Perhaps when the boarders open and I can have a visit that will help guide me

I feel lost knowing where I belong too. The thought of leaving either country is overwhelming.

I hope you and your new man and come to Aus and you finally feel settled. I too love the outdoors life. I wonder if I loved back to the UK if I'd crave that too.

Thank you for the pet advice also 

I think things have changed for good .

People are starting to simplify their lives , either through awakening or necessity .

Why , bust your ass, and max yourself out  to pay for the big house and the 2 mercs on the drive - that you can't really afford, or have to work long hours to support  ? - get off the hamster wheel .

I downsized a while back - cleared the lot .

We had 5 skips in total and binned loads of stuff .😀 - or should I say my wife did 🤣

We live very simply now - so much happier .

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Anita85 said:

Thank you so much. I will be able to get citizenship in a couple of months, so will definitely get so I have the option to move back. 

For me now it feels like a waiting game. When everything returns to normal, travel wise I will take an extended trip to UK to try and work out my feelings.

Thanks again for your comment

As gently as possible can I suggest that long distance travel may take a very long time before it returns to how it was in 2019.

Without wanting to give too much advice, some therapy with a British trained therapist might give an opportunity to try and sort out what the issues are and try to reduce their impact in your life

• Like 1

Thank you, I know it's going to be a while. That's making it worse. I don't know where to start with the therapy/ councillor/ psychiatrist stuff- is it all the same service? I had an appointment booked but I'm not sure it's the right place. If anyone has experience with this please let me know. There are alot of options out there. Thank you 

10 minutes ago, Anita85 said:

Thank you, I know it's going to be a while. That's making it worse. I don't know where to start with the therapy/ councillor/ psychiatrist stuff- is it all the same service? I had an appointment booked but I'm not sure it's the right place. If anyone has experience with this please let me know. There are alot of options out there. Thank you 

Has your GP given you advice? They’re often good for suggestions about local options and if they get you on a mental health plan it costs much less.

As for finding a “therapist” - word of mouth is usually the best way.  Psychiatrists are medical, they tend to operate within medical models and more important if you think medication is in your future.  Psychologists are registered, they can also be part covered under Medicare, they may use different approaches so it rather depends on your personality and ways of dealing with things - some can be more wallowing in the angst, others might be more about mindfulness and others more solution focussed. Counsellors are not regulated and not part of Medicare - rather depends on the person as to what their qualifications are and what their practical approach may be.  

Personally, I’d go to a psychologist and they will advertise as such and, if possible I’d ask around for recommendations or you may find that your employer has an EAP which might also get you on track.  I’m more of a CBT gal but I know others find that not mindful enough. Bottom line though, if you feel in the first session that you’re not going to get on with them, don’t go back! A good therapist will leave you feeling that they have empowered you and that working with them will help you move forward and look for a plan that has goals with an end date.  Be wary of someone who says that it’ll take 18 months of weekly visits at $200 a pop! 

Good luck! Don’t be afraid to jump in, you’re in control of what you want to get out of it and don’t let anyone else tell you different! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Anita85 said:

So helpful thank you. I've been so confused googling services. This is really helpful, I appreciate it 

It can be confusing! Perhaps start with your GP - it sounds very much like you may have exogenous or situational depression (homesickness is that!) and when that interferes with your sleep, your ability to focus or be motivated, they should help you with a mental health plan. Or, as I said, many employers especially of larger concerns have EAPs specifically for employees to seek counselling because a settled employee is a better risk for them than one who is otherwise distressed! 

If you see a member on here who may be from your neck of the woods and maybe in nursing or some other allied health profession they may be able to steer you in the right direction too! 

• Like 1

On 12/07/2020 at 14:00, Anita85 said:

That’s a common feeling immigrants get when they go to live in a foreign country that they don’t belong to.  Covid has just made you soul search more probably and admit what you really want. Covid by itself is not the reason you want to come home. If you have that feeling now, it won’t go away. There’s two choices, you grin and bear it like many do, or you grab the bull by the horns and put your own happiness first. 8 years means you gave it a fair shot. We did too. We managed to get out of that place years ago, we are very happy being home in U.K, it’s just an all round better place for us.  It was the hardest thing being stuck away out there so far away from everything, stuck in a suburb in that suffocating desert heat with very little to do at night apart from watching dozens of equally bored middle aged residents taking the same evening stroll round the concrete or watch rubbish tv. Weekends were spent driving round various shops which were miles apart. More of an existence than a life. 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Anita85 said:

You have to realise that therapy is about exploring feelings, where they come from and how they impact you and your life, sometimes they are from trauma and sometimes from childhood experiences and they can affect how you respond to situations in your life now, a bit like being bitten by a dog as a kid and then forgetting about it altogether and then wondering why you are always frightened of dogs, their are different schools of therapy, through humanistic to psychoanalytical and the more cognitive approaches such as CBT , which find favour because they offer the chance of changing behaviours in quite short periods,( personally I am not an advocate but lots swear by it) psychoanalytical is often very lengthy,  humanistic such as Rogerian Client centered concentrates on the clients experience and can be wide ranging and concentrates on what the client is feeling in a free ranging manner,  instead of  imposing the therapist view of what is going on, what is important is that the process is not about advice giving which is the worst kind of therapeutic  relationship, it is more a voyage of discovery though your feelings and finding out how to be in control of your own life .

The British Association of Counselling have a very good website as does Psychology Today

In Australia the counselling world is sewn up by clinical psychologists and this confuses things as you can only get insurance cover by going thro them, their are british trained counsellors out there but they may be expensive , have a look at the BACP website and that may help in sorting out just what you want. 

Edited by BacktoDemocracy

17 hours ago, Anita85 said:

That should be British Assoc of Counselling and Psychology,  BACP

11 hours ago, Anita85 said:

Thanks home and happy. I think you're right about the soul searching.

I have a lot of ties here, relationship, pets and a business. To up and leave will be so hard. I'm feeling really stuck, but deep down I know my gut. 

Covid has certainly caused most of us to to do some heavy and deep soul searching we are already re assessing many things we planned .in a good way. Yes it’s that feeling where you just ‘know’ that you will go eventually.  8 years is a pretty good stretch so you know by now what you want. Nobody can tell you to hang on as things will get better because you’ve been there, done that.  We had no ties and both wanted to leave quite soon after arriving but we stuck it out for a good stretch...no kids or pets or anything, had a garage sale, the Aussies came and went thro the place like a dose of salts, stripped it bare and bought up the lot. It was an easy move. I’m sure you will work out an exit plan.  

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 14/07/2020 at 13:31, Home and Happy said:

It was the hardest thing being stuck away out there so far away from everything, stuck in a suburb in that suffocating desert heat with very little to do at night apart from watching dozens of equally bored middle aged residents taking the same evening stroll round the concrete or watch rubbish tv. Weekends were spent driving round various shops which were miles apart. More of an existence than a life. 

I am stuck in one of them suburbs and absolutely agree with this ^^^^^..............just having a look out the window at a colour bond fence, next to a house like a box, next to a colour bond fence, next to a house like a box, next to a colour bond fence...you get the idea, mind numbing....oh hold on a minute....yep, there appears to be a middle aged couple taking a stroll..... I need a lie down 🤪🤪

• Like 1
  • Confused 2