starlight7

Lockdown living

For those of you in Victoria it is a familiar plight. This time round I am a bit over the weeding, besides it is colder now. Made a couple of double skin face masks for when they are compulsory and about to have the excitement of the day a trip to the food shop. All this because of mismanagement of large gatherings and choosing the wrong people to guard those in isolation.

• Like 2

And to make things worse a friend has just died sand we can’t go to her funeral.

• Sad 3

The awful thing is that this time, it all feels so much worse.  Last time, we were being very careful, but at the same time, we felt fairly safe because most of the cases were international travelers or direct contacts.  Now, we know it's out in the community.   It's very likely that people from high risk areas shop in our local shopping centre.  It feels like we're surrounded.

• Like 3

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

3 hours ago, starlight7 said:

And to make things worse a friend has just died sand we can’t go to her funeral.

Sorry to hear about your friend! Sadly, not being able to go to funerals seems to be a nasty little side effect of this damned virus. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

The awful thing is that this time, it all feels so much worse.  Last time, we were being very careful, but at the same time, we felt fairly safe because most of the cases were international travelers or direct contacts.  Now, we know it's out in the community.   It's very likely that people from high risk areas shop in our local shopping centre.  It feels like we're surrounded.

Good luck and stay safe! I think it is significantly more scary now it’s firmly in the community. I know I am planning on backing right out when it gets in the community here. I’ve plenty of yarn for knitting and crochet!!!

I've never done so much knitting since the kids were babies.  The little family members are all getting new sweaters etc. Using up all the bits and pieces I have hoarded over the years which is good, too.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, starlight7 said:

For those of you in Victoria it is a familiar plight. This time round I am a bit over the weeding, besides it is colder now. Made a couple of double skin face masks for when they are compulsory and about to have the excitement of the day a trip to the food shop. All this because of mismanagement of large gatherings and choosing the wrong people to guard those in isolation.

I was talking to a virologist - she reckons this thing has mutated twice at least 😖

Have you heard about Mongolia and kazakhstan over there ?

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

6 hours ago, starlight7 said:

I've never done so much knitting since the kids were babies.  The little family members are all getting new sweaters etc. Using up all the bits and pieces I have hoarded over the years which is good, too.

Apparently re usable toilet paper is a thing nowadays. Do you think that would work?

Could be a captive market seeing how Australia can't get enough of the stuff.

9 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

I was talking to a virologist - she reckons this thing has mutated twice at least 😖

Have you heard about Mongolia and kazakhstan over there ?

Yes if you are talking about the new pneumonia threat

15 minutes ago, ramot said:

Yes if you are talking about the new pneumonia threat

They're not sure if it's related to coronavirus or not.

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

They're not sure if it's related to coronavirus or not.

I still think those vaping pneumonia deaths last year should be investigated. Not sure if they could dig them up and test for the virus after this much time.

• Haha 1

Someone at my church has recently got pneumonia and has been tested for corona virus but they said it was negative.  A bit strange. Young person, too. 

1 minute ago, starlight7 said:

Someone at my church has recently got pneumonia and has been tested for corona virus but they said it was negative.  A bit strange. Young person, too. 

Pneumonia is still around 

Can't say I have noticed any shortages in our local shops though I guess there is still time. I do notice that people are more friendly since this latest lockdown- everyone smiles and says, 'hello'. Maybe loneliness?

23 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Pneumonia is still around 

Guess it is- especially now it is getting cooler.

9 hours ago, newjez said:

I still think those vaping pneumonia deaths last year should be investigated. Not sure if they could dig them up and test for the virus after this much time.

Might be a bit like digging up plague victims

Do feel for you. In Scotland we had a fairly hard lockdown and I was put in shielding at first, so couldn’t leave the house for any reason for the first month. But, you all get through it 

7 hours ago, starlight7 said:

Can't say I have noticed any shortages in our local shops though I guess there is still time. I do notice that people are more friendly since this latest lockdown- everyone smiles and says, 'hello'. Maybe loneliness?

It is weird in the UK. Our ocado order this week cancelled our milk. Never had that before.

We put in an order with Tesco. Got the milk, but no coke.

• Sad 1

Went in Target today and half the shelves were empty in the home section. Shows how much stuff comes from China. I ordered some wool from 'wish.com' Lovely and unusual wool, good price but when I had paid they said the expected arrival date was late September- China is the worst because stuff from the UK and Europe is a lot quicker than that.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, starlight7 said:

Went in Target today and half the shelves were empty in the home section. Shows how much stuff comes from China. I ordered some wool from 'wish.com' Lovely and unusual wool, good price but when I had paid they said the expected arrival date was late September- China is the worst because stuff from the UK and Europe is a lot quicker than that.

It may not be importation problems.  One of the big Linfox distribution centres in Melbourne has been shut down after a positive test, so that will be affecting lots of supermarkets and big stores around town.  

Wish.com was always very slow to deliver at the best of times

Edited by Marisawright

Didn't know that about Linfox-wouldn't help at all! I am just hoping after all this that not everything will be stamped 'made in China'. I had a parcel delivered from the 'Chinese Republic of Taiwan' which I found a bit of a puzzle. Does China now own Taiwan?

3 minutes ago, starlight7 said:

Didn't know that about Linfox-wouldn't help at all! I am just hoping after all this that not everything will be stamped 'made in China'. I had a parcel delivered from the 'Chinese Republic of Taiwan' which I found a bit of a puzzle. Does China now own Taiwan?

Taiwan's official name is Republic of China.

They are the old government who fled there when Communist party took over China.

I want it all, and I want it now.

8 hours ago, starlight7 said:

Sort of depends on who you ask.

12 hours ago, starlight7 said:

My local yarn shops are doing really well I think! Have you tried yarn from Hobbii I haven’t but several folk here have used them and say it’s great

• Like 1

plus TOLL has suffered a couple of ransomware attacks this year, so all their distribution has had a load of problems that they are still working through

IELTS 08/06/13: 9.0. - ACS Assessment: 02/08/13. Result 13/11/13. VIC SS 20/11/13. EOI 20/11/13. VIC SS Resubmitted 20/06/14, Approved 02/07/14. Visa Application (190) 14/07/14. CO assigned, Meds/PCC requested 27/08/14. Granted 24/10/14!! Activated 31/03/15. Arrival 27/08/15.Citizenship Applied 17/04/2019,  Test confirmed 09/07/2019 for 15/12/2019, Online invite 05/06/2020. Ceremony 18/06/2020