Suburbs/schools/hopsitals/activities etc in VIC

Maria18

Hello

After a lot of research, we have come to the conclusion that VICTORIA is where we will be putting in our EOI (Around march/april next year hopefully)

I am just looking for some info on anyone that lives or has lived there as we really want to begin looking at areas/regions and are at a bit of a loss where to begin!

My son will be 13/14 when we move over, myself and my partner are 34. We enjoy time outdoors, will be renting for first couple of years at least, I am a Mental Health Nurse and my partner is a Health Care assistant, so would ideally like to be local - ish if possible to good secondary schools, hospital etc. 

I have tried to look at rental prices for a 2 bed (hopefully with a pool) in a suburb in VIC, but i'm not sure what suburbs to look at! Just for an idea really of prices and to get a bit of a plan going regarding savings/outgoings etc.

What are the beaches like in VIC? Is there a lot to do on days off etc? (parks/beaches/water parks/theme parks/water activities?)

Sorry for all the questions, haha. Just thought i'd try and put it all down here and hope I get at least a little more idea.

Thank you in advance 🙂

31 minutes ago, Maria18 said:

Hello

After a lot of research, we have come to the conclusion that VICTORIA is where we will be putting in our EOI (Around march/april next year hopefully)

I am just looking for some info on anyone that lives or has lived there as we really want to begin looking at areas/regions and are at a bit of a loss where to begin!

My son will be 13/14 when we move over, myself and my partner are 34. We enjoy time outdoors, will be renting for first couple of years at least, I am a Mental Health Nurse and my partner is a Health Care assistant, so would ideally like to be local - ish if possible to good secondary schools, hospital etc. 

I have tried to look at rental prices for a 2 bed (hopefully with a pool) in a suburb in VIC, but i'm not sure what suburbs to look at! Just for an idea really of prices and to get a bit of a plan going regarding savings/outgoings etc.

When you say "in a suburb in Vic", that's like saying "in a suburb in the United Kingdom", because that's how big Victoria is!   It has a fraction of the population, but in square miles, it's larger - and the climate and culture vary just as much as the UK within those borders.

Victoria is the furthest south of the Australian mainland states, so the weather isn't what you see on Home & Away.  There are some great beaches along the Great Ocean Road, but they're wild surf beaches rather than safe places for kids to play.  Here are some ideas:

https://www.visitmelbourne.com/things-to-do/nature-and-wildlife/beaches-and-coastlines/family-friendly-beaches

Because you work in health, you're lucky that you could work in some of the smaller cities and towns, rather than having to live in Melbourne (which is the second most expensive city in Australia).   

Edited by Marisawright

I'm not sure where you get the idea I have 'little to no idea what the country is like?'.... This forum is for people to ask questions, find out more info etc yet each time I post you are the first person to appear and make these kind of comments.

We visited Australia last year for over a month. We travelled Sydney/Brisbane/Gold coast/sunshine coast. 

I have family in Sydney, family in Adelaide and friends in Cairns.

I am asking here about VICTORIA as I have decided that is where we will be submitting our EOI.

The questions I have asked are normal questions for someone moving to a new place. Nothing out of the ordinary for a family with a child to be moving to another country.

Like I said, it seems like you jump on every detail on people's posts and I am unsure why... My question was a normal one asking for some info on a part of the country we have never been but would like to. 🙂

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Maria18 said:

I'm not sure where you get the idea I have 'little to no idea what the country is like?'....

The reason I ask is because you say things like "in a suburb in Vic" when Victoria is a whole state, not a city.  That, to me, suggests you have little concept of the size of the area or what it's like.  Maybe it was just careless wording, but that's the impression it gave me. 

Sydney/Brisbane/Gold Coast/Sunshine Coast are very, very different from Victoria - as you'd expect, when you consider that the distance from Sydney to Melbourne is about the same as the distance from London to Inverness. And therefore the climate is just as different.    And because Victoria is bigger than the whole of the United Kingdom, it's almost impossible to give meaningful answers.

I'd suggest you look at Geelong.

Edited by Marisawright

I said it once in a question, and what I meant was I am looking for some info on good suburbs - in certain parts of VIC as we were not sure where to begin to look at as it is such a huge place.... Bigger than the whole of the UK. This is why I am mainly asking this question. We have no idea where to look/cities/suburbs/parts.... all we have to go on right now is VICTORIA.

As we have just decided that we will only be submitting or EOI to VIC, we are now in the process of finding out more about the state. I never thought that VICTORIA was a city. I am going off the state that we are putting our EOI to.

I know all of this, hence why I am asking for more info on places in the whole of vic, maybe I should have stated suburbs in cities in VIC.

I presumed people would know what I meant.

I am aware that it is different, and that is a good thing for us as we enjoy to venture to new places. We aren't going to Aus for the climate as such, we are going for many other reasons.

Thank you for your advice.

I would look at the Eastern Suburbs if it were me. Nice and leafy, good shops and pretty peaceful. Depending on how much money you have you could look at Donvale, Park Orchards, Ringwood or across to the Knox Council area.  Eastern Health is a big employer and covers Maroondah, Box Hill, Peter James, even as far out as Healesville if you are into country living. Schools are good- private schools as well as most public  though there are one or two public schools I would avoid. Prices for private schools vary a lot. I know the whole area inside out as I have been here since early 70s on and off so could let you know the good, better,best etc round here.

• Like 1

Thank you so much, great help starlight. 

I will note these down and look into them. 

Do you know what the rental business is like in the Eastern suburbs? Are there always some available or is renting a house pretty hard over there?

Where will you be working? Until you know where that is likely to be then you're probably wasting your time.  We could suggest all sorts of places but if they arent hiring mental health nurses it could all be moot.  You might not want to live in Melbourne at all - why not one of the smaller towns like Geelong, Ballarat, Bendigo or further east out to Bairnsdale or Sale.  It's really one of those "piece of string" type questions unfortunately.  In Vic I really wouldnt be bothering with a pool in your home tbh.

• Like 1

It turns out that the most sought after place for RMN is VIC. (Been informed through a few agents/agencies  etc)

We wouldn’t be moving unless I was invited to apply and granted a visa. Then by then (looking at around 18 months by then), I think that she plenty of time to look for jobs etc. 

We’d like a pool though so was just wondering. 🙂 

40 minutes ago, Maria18 said:

It turns out that the most sought after place for RMN is VIC. (Been informed through a few agents/agencies  etc)

We wouldn’t be moving unless I was invited to apply and granted a visa. Then by then (looking at around 18 months by then), I think that she plenty of time to look for jobs etc. 

We’d like a pool though so was just wondering. 🙂 

Winters are chilly in Vic for a pool so you don’t use them for 4+ months of the year, unless you are very hardy! I had one and made sure I used it a lot in the summer to make up for it. 😀
Geelong is a good family area with housing near the coast. On the Bellarine Peninsula or surf coast are nice depending on where you work.

The prisons in Lara might need RMNs, or Barwon Health is the large public health provider down there.

Good luck.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Maria18 said:

Thank you Amber. I will note these down also. This is why I came on here, to get some ideas of areas etc 

The other option is to head down the other side of the bay, the Mornington Peninsula. It is a larger area so work will dictate how far down you could live. Monash Health and Peninsula Health are on that side.

Each peninsula has a very different ‘vibe’. Bellarine more cute, country, relaxed. Mornington more metro, more ‘busy’, even though it has some lovely areas as well. Just my feelings. 😊

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Maria18 said:

Thank you so much, great help starlight. 

I will note these down and look into them. 

Do you know what the rental business is like in the Eastern suburbs? Are there always some available or is renting a house pretty hard over there?

There are a lot of rentals as far as I know, look at realestate.com.au . I am thinking around $450 per week but that is a house and I am not well up on prices. Probably a bit lower now with covid. So far not much covid in these eastern suburbs touch wood.

I would stick to Melbourne suburbs as it gives you the most flexibility. There are lots of hospitals in Melbourne.

Work out you budget for rent and that will help identify areas to target.

I also like Eastern suburbs of Melbourne although can be expensive and not that close to the beach if that is what you really want.

1 hour ago, Parley said:

I would stick to Melbourne suburbs as it gives you the most flexibility. There are lots of hospitals in Melbourne.

Work out you budget for rent and that will help identify areas to target.

I also like Eastern suburbs of Melbourne although can be expensive and not that close to the beach if that is what you really want.

The thing I noticed is that she'd like a house with a pool.  Depending on budget, it would be a lot easier to find that near a beach in Geelong than in Melbourne.  To be near a beach in Melbourne, you're going to be stuck with a long commute.   That's the advantage of being in health care - you don't have to stick to the big cities so you can get a better lifestyle for the same price.

Edited by Marisawright