Moving to the Sunshine Coast - suggestions please?

Wanderer Returns

I returned to Australia 6 months ago and have been living/working in Brisbane. Recently I've been thinking about a move to the coast, and the Sunshine Coast is a little more my style than the Gold Coast. I know that traditionally work has been hard to come by up there, but I recently visited Mooloolaba and Caloundra and they seem a lot busier and more developed than I remember them. I'd be very interested to hear from anyone who's been living up there a while and how they are finding the experience.

If I had to live in Queensland, the Sunshine Coast would be my pick.   It seems to have its own microclimate which is milder and less humid than the rest of the coast.   Plus it has a good mix of amenities.

It's a smaller place so naturally, work will be harder to come by - but as you're already in Brisbane, you could easily go for interviews and secure a job before you make the move, so that's not really an obstacle. 

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

I have been living on the Sunshine Coast for 17 years and I love it. I have absolutely no idea if it has a microclimate? but it is hot wet and humid from December through to March on average, but most of us cope with it. It makes sense if you live here or anywhere else hot, for that matter that you have aircon preferably reverse cycle. If you lived in UK you would have heating for winter. I know some people moan about the humidity, but if you live here you adjust your life for the few hot months, and although it gets dark early in summer, the majority of us eat outside most nights, it doesn’t feel that dark as the skies are so clear. The stars are amazing here.

The rest of the years climate, especially the winter months are mostly glorious, clear blue skies a comfortable day temperature and cool nights. You have probably already experienced this while you have been in Brisbane.

The whole area has so much going for it, beautiful beaches,  plenty clubs, societies, and activities

I think housing is quite expensive, especially the popular areas, and areas near good schools. Prices seem to have gone up over the last couple of years as buyers from further south are snapping them up. The house opposite us sold in 2 weeks recently.

I’m afraid I can’t help much about the work situation, as we came here as retirees. Youi has its headquarters here, there is the new large hospital and the University, but I get the feeling that there are lots of self employed, but generally the area seems to be doing ok, and lots of new housing developments,

People do commute to Brisbane, but it gets very busy in rush hour. My son commuted to work for several years to the area at the start of the Gympie Rd. It was ok to start with taking about an hour from Mooloolaba, but after North Lakes got so big, the traffic increased making the journey a good 1hr 30 on a good day, a nightmare journey if there was an accident. He would move back to the coast in an instant if the work was here.

Reading this I should be employed by the Sunshine Coast tourist board!!! 

Before moving to Australia when we retired, we had lived in UK and 4 other countries, and after living here for 17 years we have no intention of leaving.the Coast.

Good luck with everything 

• Like 4

On 11/07/2020 at 18:18, ramot said:

I have been living on the Sunshine Coast for 17 years and I love it. I have absolutely no idea if it has a microclimate? but it is hot wet and humid from December through to March on average, but most of us cope with it. It makes sense if you live here or anywhere else hot, for that matter that you have aircon preferably reverse cycle. If you lived in UK you would have heating for winter. I know some people moan about the humidity, but if you live here you adjust your life for the few hot months, and although it gets dark early in summer, the majority of us eat outside most nights, it doesn’t feel that dark as the skies are so clear. The stars are amazing here.

The rest of the years climate, especially the winter months are mostly glorious, clear blue skies a comfortable day temperature and cool nights. You have probably already experienced this while you have been in Brisbane.

The whole area has so much going for it, beautiful beaches,  plenty clubs, societies, and activities

I think housing is quite expensive, especially the popular areas, and areas near good schools. Prices seem to have gone up over the last couple of years as buyers from further south are snapping them up. The house opposite us sold in 2 weeks recently.

I’m afraid I can’t help much about the work situation, as we came here as retirees. Youi has its headquarters here, there is the new large hospital and the University, but I get the feeling that there are lots of self employed, but generally the area seems to be doing ok, and lots of new housing developments,

People do commute to Brisbane, but it gets very busy in rush hour. My son commuted to work for several years to the area at the start of the Gympie Rd. It was ok to start with taking about an hour from Mooloolaba, but after North Lakes got so big, the traffic increased making the journey a good 1hr 30 on a good day, a nightmare journey if there was an accident. He would move back to the coast in an instant if the work was here.

Reading this I should be employed by the Sunshine Coast tourist board!!! 

Before moving to Australia when we retired, we had lived in UK and 4 other countries, and after living here for 17 years we have no intention of leaving.the Coast.

Good luck with everything 

Thank you @ramot that is a fantastic endorsement of the Sunshine Coast! We can just about afford to buy our own home outright if we don't move to anywhere too fancy, so could probably get by on not-so-well-paid jobs. What is your opinion on the major areas up there (from Caloundra to Noosa) as a matter of interest?

20 hours ago, Wanderer Returns said:

Thank you @ramot that is a fantastic endorsement of the Sunshine Coast! We can just about afford to buy our own home outright if we don't move to anywhere too fancy, so could probably get by on not-so-well-paid jobs. What is your opinion on the major areas up there (from Caloundra to Noosa) as a matter of interest?

I can’t really help much because everyone has different ideas of where to live and what they like, and there are so many different areas here. 

All the popular tourist destinations get very busy during the holidays, so unless you live in one of the main holiday spots, Caloundra, Mooloolaba, Noosa and accept the holiday crowds, the rest of us avoid them in the holidays and reclaim them after.

Might be a bit naughty to say this, but the general feeling is that people in Noosa are a bit up on themselves.

Buderim and surround areas are very popular, also Perigian  Beach.

The hinterland towns are very popular with people who don’t want to live on the coast, and also slightly off grid!  I prefer Maleny to  Montville, and Wombye and Palmwoods suit some people, but have fewer ammenities. 

Lots of housing estates going up, at Sippy Downs and Caloundra.

Houses in the more popular areas, and in school catchment areas sell well, and houses locally are selling fast.

My neighbour is an estate agent, had 4 open days on Saturday, sold 3 and someone very interested in the 4th.

So it’s really up to the individual to decide what and where suits them. We live near Mooloolaba, really enjoy going there, and the area nearby, the beach is well patrolled, and the spit is very popular.

You will just have to spend some time on the coast to see if anywhere appeals. All the best.

Edited by ramot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 16/07/2020 at 20:33, ramot said:

Might be a bit naughty to say this, but the general feeling is that people in Noosa are a bit up on themselves.

So it’s really up to the individual to decide what and where suits them. We live near Mooloolaba, really enjoy going there, and the area nearby, the beach is well patrolled, and the spit is very popular.

You will just have to spend some time on the coast to see if anywhere appeals. All the best.

I wouldn't say there's anything 'naughty' in stating an undeniable truth! 😄  Our southern neighbours from a certain city have long-since used the economic advantage of their over-inflated house prices to buy up Noosa, and other desirable areas in QLD. I don't really have a problem with people moving for a sea-change - after all, it's what we intend to do - but they should leave their city attitude behind and stop spoiling the vibe for the rest of us.

We went to Caloundra a couple of weeks ago, Mooloolaba last weekend, and I think the latter ticks most of our boxes to be honest. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Wanderer Returns said:

I wouldn't say there's anything 'naughty' in stating an undeniable truth! 😄  Our southern neighbours from a certain city have long-since used the economic advantage of their over-inflated house prices to buy up Noosa, and other desirable areas in QLD. I don't really have a problem with people moving for a sea-change - after all, it's what we intend to do - but they should leave their city attitude behind and stop spoiling the vibe for the rest of us.

We went to Caloundra a couple of weeks ago, Mooloolaba last weekend, and I think the latter ticks most of our boxes to be honest. 

It’s not a city attitude, it’s a Noosa attitude!

Hope you find somewhere you like, we rented in Caloundra for about 6 weeks when we came here and looked at as many areas as possible, asked people’s advice and decided on a circle around Buderim as we wanted a village feel. Bought quite quickly as we were moving from overseas and wanted to feel settled, thought if it’s wrong we could move when we know the area better. 17 years later I still love where we bought. 
All the best

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ramot said:

It’s not a city attitude, it’s a Noosa attitude!

Hope you find somewhere you like, we rented in Caloundra for about 6 weeks when we came here and looked at as many areas as possible, asked people’s advice and decided on a circle around Buderim as we wanted a village feel. Bought quite quickly as we were moving from overseas and wanted to feel settled, thought if it’s wrong we could move when we know the area better. 17 years later I still love where we bought. 
All the best

Is the Ginger factory still there ?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Parley said:

Is the Ginger factory still there ?

It’s in Yandina now, but nice to visit with little ones as it has several small attractions including a little train ride. Ginger ice cream is pretty nice. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, ramot said:

when we came here and looked at as many areas as possible, asked people’s advice and decided on a circle around Buderim as we wanted a village feel. 

Hi @ramot Buderim appeals to me . Did you actually move there ? What is healthcare like, any bulk billing GPs?

Are the hills accessible by walking tracks nearby, or do you need to drive? 

There are a lot of nice affordable houses, but I am surprised how many are for sale all the time. Any idea why there is such an active market?

There were 17 sales this week, far more than surrounding SC areas .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, davlap said:

Hi @ramot Buderim appeals to me . Did you actually move there ? What is healthcare like, any bulk billing GPs?

Are the hills accessible by walking tracks nearby, or do you need to drive? 

There are a lot of nice affordable houses, but I am surprised how many are for sale all the time. Any idea why there is such an active market?

There were 17 sales this week, far more than surrounding SC areas .

We bought near but didn’t move to Buderim as we thought it was a bit overpriced. Hardly ever go up there though, as you tend to make life where you live. Nice place though.

No idea about the hills, bit too energetic for me at my age.

Sorry don’t know if any Drs bulk bill in Buderim but I think there might be in Maroochydore or Kawana? You’ll have to google. Plenty of Drs surgeries everywhere, no complaints locally about the access to health care, apart from cost, but that’s probably the same everywhere.

Houses seem to be selling well  at the moment, no idea why, not just Buderim, which does cover quite a large area. Could be because the weather is glorious at the moment, you can’t beat winter here on the coast.

• Like 1

We had a look at a few areas yesterday. Buderim looks very nice, and ticked a lot of our boxes. I can really see the appeal, but is it always this busy? We drove along King Street at 3.30pm and it was practically gridlocked. @ramot are there any areas around Buderim that you'd recommend which are a little quieter, and where you're not likely to hear the constant drone of traffic from busy roads?

49 minutes ago, Wanderer Returns said:

We had a look at a few areas yesterday. Buderim looks very nice, and ticked a lot of our boxes. I can really see the appeal, but is it always this busy? We drove along King Street at 3.30pm and it was practically gridlocked. @ramot are there any areas around Buderim that you'd recommend which are a little quieter, and where you're not likely to hear the constant drone of traffic from busy roads?

I’ve sent you a message 

• Thanks 1