PR expired and want to enter on RRV visa

Kevlarrr

Hello! We were granted Australian PR few years back but it expired last year before we could move. Is it possible for us to now move to Australia on RRV? Some background..

My wife did her 4 years bachelors in Brisbane back in 2001 

We visited Melbourne in 2015 after we were granted PR

I have a first cousin in Melbourne who is an Australian citizen 

We couldn't make the move cause we had a death in the family , birth of our 2 kids in the US and few other reasons.

All we really need is to get entry in Aus within the next 6-12 months and start our new life there.

What do you think our chances are of getting RRV 155/157 approved?

5 hours ago, Kevlarrr said:

Hello! We were granted Australian PR few years back but it expired last year before we could move. Is it possible for us to now move to Australia on RRV? Some background..

We couldn't make the move cause we had a death in the family , birth of our 2 kids in the US and few other reasons.

All we really need is to get entry in Aus within the next 6-12 months and start our new life there.

What do you think our chances are of getting RRV 155/157 approved?

I’m just wondering, have you actually been residents at any point since your PR visa was issued?

Edited by Fisher1

6 hours ago, Kevlarrr said:

It's understandable that a family bereavement delaying your migration was out of your control, but choosing to stay in the US and have two babies was your conscious decision.  So it sounds as though you have no compelling reasons why you couldn't move to Australia.  That makes your case sound very weak.  

Having a first cousin in Australia would not constitute "strong ties" to the country (not a close enough relation) and having studied there isn't relevant.

I'd say you don't stand a chance without a good agent, and even then you may be on shaky ground.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Marisawright said:

It's understandable that a family bereavement delaying your migration was out of your control, but choosing to stay in the US and have two babies was your conscious decision.  So it sounds as though you have no compelling reasons why you couldn't move to Australia.  That makes your case sound very weak.  

Having a first cousin in Australia would not constitute "strong ties" to the country (not a close enough relation) and having studied there isn't relevant.

I'd say you don't stand a chance without a good agent, and even then you may be on shaky ground.  

You are probably right...Im looking for a good agent. Suggestions are most welcome..

56 minutes ago, Kevlarrr said:

We have only lived in Melbourne for 3 weeks during our first visit.

I think that’s where your problem will be. We’re relatively new to Oz and we were warned at the beginning not to leave the country without first obtaining an RRV, because it could be difficult to get back in. The advice I read said that you would have to make a strong case for links with Australia (own a house, close relative resident, etc.) to get back. If you’ve never lived here, you are on shaky ground claiming to be returning residents. 

Alan Collet is reckoned to be a good agent. He often posts on here - I’ve never used an agent but have heard good reports of Alan.

Edited by Fisher1
  • Like 1

You will need to demonstrate that you have maintained ‘substantial ties to Australia, which are of benefit to Australia’ . Depending on exactly when you last departed Australia, the reasons for your absence may or may not be relevant, and your eligibility for a 157 will also be affected. As mentioned, get some professional advice to understand how this works In practice. 

13 hours ago, Fisher1 said:

I think that’s where your problem will be. We’re relatively new to Oz and we were warned at the beginning not to leave the country without first obtaining an RRV, because it could be difficult to get back in. The advice I read said that you would have to make a strong case for links with Australia (own a house, close relative resident, etc.) to get back. If you’ve never lived here, you are on shaky ground claiming to be returning residents. 

Alan Collet is reckoned to be a good agent. He often posts on here - I’ve never used an agent but have heard good reports of Alan.

Thank you recommending Alan. Have dropped an email to ask for appointment. 

9 hours ago, paulhand said:

You will need to demonstrate that you have maintained ‘substantial ties to Australia, which are of benefit to Australia’ . Depending on exactly when you last departed Australia, the reasons for your absence may or may not be relevant, and your eligibility for a 157 will also be affected. As mentioned, get some professional advice to understand how this works In practice. 

Hi Paul, I have submitted an enquiry online at SunCoast. Hope to hear from you soon!