You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

RoundInCircles

POST COVID WORK IN THE UK

Hello Everybody 🙂  I hope you and your families are safe and well...

A question for those who are still longing to return to the UK and will need to find a job once there...

Have any of you had any thoughts about now NOT returning due to the impact CoronaVirus has had on the unemployment situation there?...Would you be worried about NOT securing employment as soon as you would like?...curious tis all...

Thank you for reading and stay safe 👍

Where we love is HOME...
HOME that our feet may leave,
But NOT our hearts...  Oliver Wendell Holmes  

Same situation the world over depends on many variables, what you do, how flexible you are, age experience etc. So no doesn't bother me, Australia has a better support system IMO if you are unemployed and a citizen.

• Like 1

The world is going to have some issues. But, different areas are going to do better than others. My own for example is booming. The companies biggest headache now is that while we were locked down, we had so many orders come in, we don’t how to get them all done. 

• Like 1

On 07/07/2020 at 14:17, Gary H said:

Same situation the world over depends on many variables, what you do, how flexible you are, age experience etc. So no doesn't bother me, Australia has a better support system IMO if you are unemployed and a citizen.

Thanks so much for your feedback GaryH...much appreciated.

Where we love is HOME...

On 07/07/2020 at 14:26, VERYSTORMY said:

The world is going to have some issues. But, different areas are going to do better than others. My own for example is booming. The companies biggest headache now is that while we were locked down, we had so many orders come in, we don’t how to get them all done. 

Glad to hear you're in such a good situation with regards to your employment VERYSTORMY!  Thank you for responding to my Post...much appreciated!

Where we love is HOME...

On 5/7/2020 at 13:51, RoundInCircles said:

A question for those who are still longing to return to the UK and will need to find a job once there...

Have any of you had any thoughts about now NOT returning due to the impact CoronaVirus has had on the unemployment situation there?...Would you be worried about NOT securing employment as soon as you would like?...curious tis all...

Read the online versions of the British papers, even the tabloid press is reporting redundancies,  in the last few weeks we have had around 15,000, the OECD are prophesying somewhere between 10-15% shrinkage in the British economy depending on the effects of covid and whether a FTA is struck with the EU, without that it could be 20% shrinkage.

But just monitor it by the newspaper reports, personally I prefer the Guardian but take your pick.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2020 at 13:51, RoundInCircles said:

This might help inform you of where the UK is at the moment

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jul/09/rishinomics-centralisation-government-local-communities-rishi-sunak-britain-whitehall

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

Thank you so much, BacktoDemocracy...much appreciated.  I found your suggestion posted on another thread and followed your advice then.  Many regards...

• Like 1

Where we love is HOME...

On 05/07/2020 at 13:51, RoundInCircles said:

Strange one , because as very stormy stated , a lot of people are very busy .

A lot of my mates - plumbers , window fitters - painters and decorators- electricians , are all really busy .

But other people I know , in aviation - pub and restaurant trade are sat at home .

A good mate of mine who is a chef , returned to work at a high end , private restaurant in the area .

They have space for 100 covers - only 5 people turned up .

I was watching a video from a British guy , living in Spain,  who travelled from his home in Madrid to the Costa del sol , last month - eerily quiet .

As I stated in a different post , watch the TIMELESS WATCH CHANNEL on YouTube. 

The guy filmed a fantastic video from Venice during lockdown .

His videos are great anyway , even if you don't like watches 

• Like 2

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

8 hours ago, RoundInCircles said:

Thank you so much, BacktoDemocracy...much appreciated.  I found your suggestion posted on another thread and followed your advice then.  Many regards...

Nice of you to say

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

Strange one , because as very stormy stated , a lot of people are very busy .

A lot of my mates - plumbers , window fitters - painters and decorators- electricians , are all really busy .

But other people I know , in aviation - pub and restaurant trade are sat at home .

A good mate of mine who is a chef , returned to work at a high end , private restaurant in the area .

They have space for 100 covers - only 5 people turned up .

I was watching a video from a British guy , living in Spain,  who travelled from his home in Madrid to the Costa del sol , last month - eerily quiet .

As I stated in a different post , watch the TIMELESS WATCH CHANNEL on YouTube. 

The guy filmed a fantastic video from Venice during lockdown .

His videos are great anyway , even if you don't like watches 

Thanks for your message Bunbury61 🙂  Yes, we're hearing so many varying stories, aren't we?...some good, some not so good.  As another Poster mentioned, it's the same the world over.  I'll still be heading over to the UK when the world is finally "back to normal"...hopefully, I'll be fortunate enough to gain employment...I'm at the "older end" of the scale (57) and have even found it difficult to find suitable work here in Australia.  I have a very supportive family in the UK and they'll do anything they can to help me;  they just want me to get there as soon as possible ❤️ 

Where we love is HOME...

On 13/07/2020 at 02:44, RoundInCircles said:

Thanks for your message Bunbury61 🙂  Yes, we're hearing so many varying stories, aren't we?...some good, some not so good.  As another Poster mentioned, it's the same the world over.  I'll still be heading over to the UK when the world is finally "back to normal"...hopefully, I'll be fortunate enough to gain employment...I'm at the "older end" of the scale (57) and have even found it difficult to find suitable work here in Australia.  I have a very supportive family in the UK and they'll do anything they can to help me;  they just want me to get there as soon as possible ❤️ 

My wife has just had a socially distanced get together , in a friends garden in solihull .

These are all moms of the sons and daughters from my youngest daughters school years .

The fathers generally have careers - banking ,one is a health and safety officer .- one is an engineer 

I had a shock , 3 of the 6 fathers have been made redundant , because of the covid crisis .

This is since April, since we last saw them .

I think the fall out across the world is going to be massive .

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

16 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

My wife has just had a socially distanced get together , in a friends garden in solihull .

These are all moms of the sons and daughters from my youngest daughters school years .

The fathers generally have careers - banking ,one is a health and safety officer .- one is an engineer 

I had a shock , 3 of the 6 fathers have been made redundant , because of the covid crisis .

This is since April, since we last saw them .

I think the fall out across the world is going to be massive .

It’s a very sad time for many. One of my best friends has just been told her job is safe for now but 2 weeks ago they were all put on redundancy notice. They cut the workforce by half and lucky for her she was in the better half. She’s still sad though for the others and that could so easily have been her. I’ve heard of many job losses over the months, it’s heartbreaking. I think the hospitality sector is in trouble.  Lots of pubs seem to be making a real effort in their outdoor spaces to entice people to visit. A lovely country pub in the next village to where I live posted on the local Facebook what they’d done. The car park had been turned into socially distanced seating with lovely furniture and lighting. It looked really nice. My friend and I did a 2 mile walk there yesterday early evening.  It was lovely sitting out in the sun having a few drinks but there was just 12 people there the whole time. There’s no way they can even cover the staff wages if that’s what a Saturday night is like for them.  This pub would be packed on a normal Saturday, often with a band playing. 

It seems to me people are either working every hour God sent or nothing at all. I have medical people in the family and they are absolutely flat chat as are the ones who work in the IT industry. Others work in universities and they are being cut back- not my family personally but many of their colleagues. They relied too heavily on overseas students and now they are gone, at least temporarily. The sad thing is that there is no one to have a coffee or meal with to talk things over- all forbidden because of this damn covid. Somehow zoom just doesn't cut it.

On 13/07/2020 at 11:44, RoundInCircles said:

Thanks for your message Bunbury61 🙂  Yes, we're hearing so many varying stories, aren't we?...some good, some not so good.  As another Poster mentioned, it's the same the world over.  I'll still be heading over to the UK when the world is finally "back to normal"...hopefully, I'll be fortunate enough to gain employment...I'm at the "older end" of the scale (57) and have even found it difficult to find suitable work here in Australia. 

Age discrimination in Australia is huge.  When I was in the UK, I was struck by how different it is in the UK.  In Australia, I simply couldn't get work in my field once I hit 55, and since then, I've had only a few low-level, part-time jobs.  Whereas in the UK, I had no trouble getting offered a couple of jobs and I wasn't even looking that hard (I was over 60 already).

The story about work is actually very consistent, it's just a question of what industry you're in. If you're in an "essential" industry, you're flat out.  If you're in online retail, you're flat out.  My sister works for a government department and she's flat out. If you're in one of the industries that's been closed down or limited, you're out of luck. 

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke