Is my agent right?

Andy G

Hello,

I'm interested to find out if I'm being told the correct information and doing things the right way. 

My agent submitted my EOI in December 2019. I sat the PTE exam just before this and was just short of 79+ across the board which meant I submitted with 70 points. 

My agent wanted me to try the PTE for a 3rd time to try for 79+ but I wasn't keen at the time as when I asked what this would mean for my application, I was told that this would mean I would be waiting a little longer for my invite (5-6 months). I said "As long as that is the ONLY difference, I'm happy with that because I'm self employed and have a LOT of work on my books so am in no huge rush at the minute".

Anyway, that 6 months has passed now and I've asked my agent if they have any idea why I haven't received an invite (could Coronavirus be causing problems, etc). They responded saying I will struggle to get an invite now with 70 points.

I understand this is probably right as I feel like it is getting harder to get into Australia, so today I sat the PTE again. The aim, as discussed with my agent, is to get that 79+ and go into the next round of new quotas with 80 points and a greater chance of an invite (new quotas released in July they say).

After chatting with another guy at the test centre today, I'm starting to doubt things.

Can anyone help me out a little with advice? Do you agree with this process? Is it right that I'm waiting this long for the invite, is it likely I won't get an invite?

I hope this long post makes sense. 

Thanks.

No, just that for a 190 the points have been up at 90+ for a while, who knows when/if they will drop down. 
We were in the same boat and managed to get a 190 with 85 points. (Secondary teacher) 

As I said the 190 points matter less to a degree I believe. 

Just what I’ve read. 

2 hours ago, Andy G said:

Mechanic (general)

So are you saying the agent is bull$h!tting me about my chances and possibilities? 

With only 70 points,, they should have advised you not to bother with the 189 as you need at least 85 points to stand any chance. The 190puts less emphasis on points but still, it’s a competition not a queue - so a lower score means more chance that others will beat you and there are new applications coming in all the time that will just leapfrog over you.

Everything is on hold right now as the Government hasn’t confirmed the changes to the Skilled List for this year (which normally happens in July). They’re reviewing it on light of the high unemployment caused by COVID. Until that’s done, which may be in October,, none of the states can process any applications.  

Edited by Marisawright

From reading the forums, my understanding is that for the EOI's the system is that it's almost like a competition rather than a waiting list were you slowly get to the top and then it's your turn..  Every application that comes in after yours that has more points basically jumps above you

• Like 1

On 05/07/2020 at 05:18, Andy G said:

Hello,

I'm interested to find out if I'm being told the correct information and doing things the right way. 

My agent submitted my EOI in December 2019. I sat the PTE exam just before this and was just short of 79+ across the board which meant I submitted with 70 points. 

My agent wanted me to try the PTE for a 3rd time to try for 79+ but I wasn't keen at the time as when I asked what this would mean for my application, I was told that this would mean I would be waiting a little longer for my invite (5-6 months). I said "As long as that is the ONLY difference, I'm happy with that because I'm self employed and have a LOT of work on my books so am in no huge rush at the minute".

Anyway, that 6 months has passed now and I've asked my agent if they have any idea why I haven't received an invite (could Coronavirus be causing problems, etc). They responded saying I will struggle to get an invite now with 70 points.

I understand this is probably right as I feel like it is getting harder to get into Australia, so today I sat the PTE again. The aim, as discussed with my agent, is to get that 79+ and go into the next round of new quotas with 80 points and a greater chance of an invite (new quotas released in July they say).

After chatting with another guy at the test centre today, I'm starting to doubt things.

Can anyone help me out a little with advice? Do you agree with this process? Is it right that I'm waiting this long for the invite, is it likely I won't get an invite?

I hope this long post makes sense. 

Thanks.

With 70 points a subclass 189 is not realistic, as the last published invitation round required 95 points and only 50 invitations were given.

With 70 points a subclass 190 may be possible depending on the State, although even that may be difficult with such a low score. A 491 may be more achievable.

Currently both 190 and 491 are on hold while the States and Territories wait for the Government to release the quotas for the new program year.

• Like 2

Hi

This is a little off topic as I am a nurse (mental health), quailified for 2 years almost. I have 70 points in total as I have no points for experience as yet (that comes after 3 years), but by then my son will be older and its getting harder to move the older he gets so we wanted to get it started asap... My agent tells me I have a strong case with 70 points for a 190 or a 491... (I'm aware not in WE or QLD) so we would be hoping for VIC. 

Does anyone know if she is right here, does being a nurse make a difference when it comes to having 70 points or is that still too low for a 190? There is no way of upping my points at the moment, Its 70 with the English test.

2 hours ago, Maria18 said:

Hi

This is a little off topic as I am a nurse (mental health), quailified for 2 years almost. I have 70 points in total as I have no points for experience as yet (that comes after 3 years), but by then my son will be older and its getting harder to move the older he gets so we wanted to get it started asap... My agent tells me I have a strong case with 70 points for a 190 or a 491... (I'm aware not in WE or QLD) so we would be hoping for VIC. 

Does anyone know if she is right here, does being a nurse make a difference when it comes to having 70 points or is that still too low for a 190? There is no way of upping my points at the moment, Its 70 with the English test.

If you need the 20 points from the English test (Superior) and yo uhaven't already got them I would recommend getting that sorted as soon as physically possible.

It is not a given that just because English is your native tongue that you will get the highest marks - I know I didn't first time - I've been a UK citizen for 40+ years and did my masters in English but still only got enough for 10 points first time round. Equally others without a degree "aced" it first time - so you just don't know until you try how difficult it might be

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Maria18 said:

Hi

Raul Senise is a respected agent.  If he is saying, "With 70 points a subclass 190 may be possible depending on the State, although even that may be difficult", then I would believe him.  

Pre-Covid, being a nurse wouldn't have made any difference.   Now (or when applications re-open) it might help, but I would still go for the 491 to be on the safe side. You're lucky to be applying for Victoria because it's smaller in square km than other states, so even if you're in the country, you're still within reach of a reasonable-sized city or town.  

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 2

I should add, that of course the problem with the 491 is that it's only provisional - like being on probation for a job.  There is a clear pathway to permanent residency but you need to check what the extra costs and limitations will be during that probationary stage.  

• Like 1

On 05/07/2020 at 22:09, Raul Senise said:

With 70 points a subclass 189 is not realistic, as the last published invitation round required 95 points and only 50 invitations were given.

With 70 points a subclass 190 may be possible depending on the State, although even that may be difficult with such a low score. A 491 may be more achievable.

Currently both 190 and 491 are on hold while the States and Territories wait for the Government to release the quotas for the new program year.

Thanks for your advice Raul.