IELTS/OET

Hi

Could someone please explain the difference between the IELTS and the OET?

I have been told to do one of them and have no idea which is best or more beneficial to me! I do have an agent but I am just looking to hear from someone who has done these tests!

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/07/2020 at 15:44, Maria18 said:

Hi

Could someone please explain the difference between the IELTS and the OET?

I have been told to do one of them and have no idea which is best or more beneficial to me! I do have an agent but I am just looking to hear from someone who has done these tests!

Thank you

OET is specifically designed for Healthcare professionals so if you are a nurse/doctor, go ahead for this one as it is comparatively easier than IELTS. I'm a RN, but when I started my Immi process, OET was not yet into action so I ended up giving IELTS Academic three times and it was one nightmare. lol

• Like 1

Thank you Raul. I am a registered Mental Health Nurse. I have been informed by my agent that I will need to do the English test to increase my points as I don't have enough without it. (In total after English test, I will have 70 points), and hoping for either 190 or 491 regional visa in VIC.

10 hours ago, Maria18 said:

Thank you Raul. I am a registered Mental Health Nurse. I have been informed by my agent that I will need to do the English test to increase my points as I don't have enough without it. (In total after English test, I will have 70 points), and hoping for either 190 or 491 regional visa in VIC.

In that case, I recommend you get the English test done asap.  I've read so many posts here from people with English degrees, who've struggled to get a good mark on the English tests.  It sounds like your mark for the English test will be do-or-die for your chances of migration.

On 13/07/2020 at 15:04, Maria18 said:

Thank you, Pooja. I think I will be going for the OET. Do you know if this is still as recognised and accepted as the IELTS?

Congrats on getting your visa by the way. Are you in Aus now?

Yes Maria. OET is just equivalent to the other English language tests.

Also, I'm offshore and I have lodged my Visa Application in March, 2020, still waiting for the grant. 🤞