Onshore application - required to pay school fees?

Are the children Australian? If, for example you are married to an Aussie and the kids are citizens by descent then, no, they won’t pay. Otherwise if you are all foreigners then yes you probably will as the general rule of thumb is that your bridging visa has the same conditions as the visa you walk in on. Why not apply offshore now and be done with it. You probably won’t be getting in for a while anyway. Fees vary according to age but think average $10-15k pa so, much easier to apply offshore and get it all at local cost when you arrive.

11 hours ago, Quoll said:

the general rule of thumb is that your bridging visa has the same conditions as the visa you walk in on

Yes, however bridging visas issued for partner visa applications always carry nil conditions. The issue is not visas in this case, rather the treatment of the bridging visa by the state education authority. 

If the OP is the partner of an Australian citizen or permanent resident then they can enter Australia with an exemption. 

Edited by paulhand
  • Like 1

Unfortunately we can’t get citizenship by descent- we tried a few yr ago and to our shock found out he’d unknowingly relinquished his citizenship when he applied for Irish passport 1997... worryingly he continued to be issued an Aussie passport for another 20 y- so as a pilot travelling the world on what we now.know was an illegal passport for 20 y that’s an alarming gap in administration! Anyway we can now only get citizenship by conferral. 

we would apply off shore but are Waiting to see if his job is flexible with sabbatical start date... if they insist on a given date , we will need to leave in order to make the most of the 18 months and apply onshore - just waiting for hr to confirm 🤪

I’ve spent hours and hours today trying to confirm whether children of an Australian citizen are exempt from school fees- there’s so many contradictory reports- I’d be on a bva able to work but my consultant said they’d have to pay for school until the 820 is issued... is anyo e able to Add to this ? I’m going maaaad! 

2 hours ago, Dreambig1 said:

I’ve spent hours and hours today trying to confirm whether children of an Australian citizen are exempt from school fees- there’s so many contradictory reports- I’d be on a bva able to work but my consultant said they’d have to pay for school until the 820 is issued... is anyo e able to Add to this ? I’m going maaaad! 

As paulhand says above, it depends how the State education authority views the bridging visa. You need to contact them. 

Bit confusing though as you say he (I assume you mean your partner) lost his citizenship. Has he managed to get it reinstated? If not what visa is he moving on?

Edited by Nemesis
  • Like 1

Quote from the Qld education website

The Education (General Provisions) Act 2006 externallink.gif  provides authority for the Department of Education (DoE) to charge a fee for the education of a person at a state school who is not:

• an Australian citizen or permanent resident
  • a child of an Australian citizen or permanent resident.

So if your husband has resumed his citizenship and enters the country as a citizen then the children should be covered under the second point there and fees would not be payable.

Dont bother emailing people, call them direct. If you know which state you will be heading for, call the International Students Section in that state and ask directly.  Faffing around with emails is wasting your time

Edited by Quoll
  • Like 1

Just an update in case anyone else finds themselves looking for the same answer...

having contacted the Vic education dept, it was clear I would be required to pay fees for both my children - up to $24000 dollars a year....I was surprised by this given their dads citizenship but it is based on the child’s visa status.

we have now lodged an off shore application ....our agent said wait times are reduced due to lots of other visa processing being suspended so fingers crossed 

20 minutes ago, Dreambig1 said:

Just an update in case anyone else finds themselves looking for the same answer...

having contacted the Vic education dept, it was clear I would be required to pay fees for both my children - up to $24000 dollars a year....I was surprised by this given their dads citizenship but it is based on the child’s visa status.

we have now lodged an off shore application ....our agent said wait times are reduced due to lots of other visa processing being suspended so fingers crossed 

Wow, I am surprised! I’m glad you found someone who would finally give you a definitive answer though!  It’s good for us to file in the memory bank As being one of those pitfalls of trying to live on a bridging visa.  I hope your visa gets processed quickly!