register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

The Pom Queen

Australia suspends Skilled Migration Until further notice

On 06/07/2020 at 03:26, Domo said:

There are a lot of people on WHV and other temp visas who are currently in Australia and being looked after, as opposed to PR applicants who have worked hard at satisfying visa conditions over the past X amount of years and are on the MSTSOL. They certainly should and are taking care of citizens first, but prioritizing backpackers over industry professionals is a little annoying. I sold my accumulated wealth here in Canada and have been invited and applied for my 190 visa, I'm pissed as are many other people who are currently in a similar situation.

When things 'change', they change their minds.

ATN

190 State Nomination (65 + 5 = 70 pts) | Primary Teacher - that's the main applicant, not me, I'm the other half, a Photographer | AITSL Skills Assessment submitted 10 04 '16 | Successful AITSL Skills Assessment 10 06 '16 | 'Recce to Mellie' August 2016 | IELTS result 27 08 '16 (Av. 8.5) | State Nomination Application lodged 31 08 '16 | State Teaching Registration approved 23 12 '16 | State Nomination approved 23 01 '16 | EOI lodged 13 05 '17 | Invitation to apply received 15 05 '17 | Visa application lodged 03 07 '17 | CO allocated, medicals requested 24 07 '17 | Medicals completed 31 08 '17 | OMG! Visa Grant 28 09 '17 - we're Aussie Residents!!! Wahoo! | Arrived from Ireland to Australia (S.E. Melbourne) 30 12 '17....ahhhhh (Update: 2.5+ years on - 2020 - life in OZ is FANTASTIC!)

Posted (edited)
On 10/07/2020 at 17:55, Mcguinnessp1968 said:

The point I was trying to make is to say that jobs should go to Aussies first before migrants is a very simplistic one and not always valid

I agree, BUT that sentiment will get votes.   We don't call our prime minister "Scotty from Marketing" for nothing.   The slogan potential of any policy is more important than whether it's the best option. (Actually, these days, that's true of most politicians).

Edited by Marisawright

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

143 visa lodged 4.10.15

heading to the sunshine coast (caloundra)

extra documents requested 18/7/2019

aos submitted 25/7/2019

police checks completed  1/9/2019

form 80 completed 3/9/2019

medical taken 7/9/2019

aos submitted 2.12.19

aos accepted 8/1/2020

2nd vac request 23.1.2020

2nd vac paid 27.1.2020

visa granted 28.1.2020

Fly to brisbane december 28th (hopefully)

Does anyone know of a good migration agent, that can help or talk us through the process, my partner is a fully qualified teacher and i am a qualified carer for people with autism, i also have family in adelaide and i am also a joiner by trade

On 03/07/2020 at 21:42, Ausvisitor said:

What about people on temp visas that are coming up to their "there may be pathway to PR after 3 years" point. Are they barred from putting in an application to convert away from the temp visa also until this is resolved (would this also affect 489 holders who now wish to exercise their right to switch from provisional to permanent residency)?

887 seem to be flying trough. I know 2 people who have had theirs processed in around 4 months.

3 hours ago, Red farang said:

Does anyone know of a good migration agent, that can help or talk us through the process, my partner is a fully qualified teacher and i am a qualified carer for people with autism, i also have family in adelaide and i am also a joiner by trade

I think you can only pick one basis for your application and go with it

I am not an agent (there are many reputable ones here), but just form looking at what you posted, I would suggest you go with your partners teaching qualification as the primary application route and you being included on her application.

Have a look for a good agent of your choice for further advice. 

Melbourne... ahhhhhh😊

3 hours ago, Red farang said:

@Alan Collett

This is who we used, got our visas in january.

• Like 1

143 visa lodged 4.10.15

heading to the sunshine coast (caloundra)

extra documents requested 18/7/2019

aos submitted 25/7/2019

police checks completed  1/9/2019

form 80 completed 3/9/2019

medical taken 7/9/2019

aos submitted 2.12.19

aos accepted 8/1/2020

2nd vac request 23.1.2020

2nd vac paid 27.1.2020

visa granted 28.1.2020

Fly to brisbane december 28th (hopefully)