Visa Options for Contractors / Independently Employed

MrsPOB

As per recommendations on the forum, I'm in the process of filling out an assessment form to speak in a bit more detail about my query - but as most know, there's loads of information to fill out. And, I thought, in the interest of time (and my sanity) I would just throw out this query in the hope someone might have been (or is) in a similar situation.

I'm currently in a Global role as an independent contractor based in the UK, but the plan has always been to relocate back to Australia (we lived in Australia 6 years ago, but had to return to the UK due to family obligations, which no longer exist). My employer has offered me a permanent role with the option of living "anywhere". They are a very large global company and there is some flexibility in the job I do - as I work with people all over the world. But here's the twist - they do not sponsor visa, full stop. Happy to do transfers for people who move on their own steam, but I guess don't want the headache or responsibility of dealing with mobility issues.

I have the option of remaining a contractor or flipping to a perm, but we (my husband and I) would really love to get back to Australia before our age becomes an issue (although I've already gone over the golden age of 45, the husband still hasn't).

Has anyone been in a somewhat similar situation? Looking to move, but don't need a job - as you have one and are gainfully employed. Employer is happy to keep you on, but not willing to formally sponsor a visa.

As a side note, I should mention my husband is self-employed (eCommerce business) and he, as well, can be located anywhere.

Any thoughts or inputs much appreciated!

Well if your employer won't sponsor you and you are over 45 that's your chances blown if applying under your skills - so it matters not a jot whether your employer will give you a job or not as you can't migrate "under your own steam" after 45.

So your only chance is Hubbie, would he pass the skilled visa points test himself as if he does you can go with as a spouse.

You should take one of the many online tests for points to see if he would make the application threshold.

How old is he? It will take a minimum of 6 months to get to the point of being invited to apply so if he is almost 45 too you might be fighting a losing battle as Australia has currently closed its migration programme due to COVID

You will need an agent, and a very good one I suspect as your case will not be easy. I say this as someone who started their visa journey a few months into their 44th year and got the visa a couple of days before turning 45. The paperwork and planning basically took over our lives (and that was with an agent)

Good Luck though I hope you find a way

Edited by Ausvisitor
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MrsPOB said:

As per recommendations on the forum, I'm in the process of filling out an assessment form to speak in a bit more detail about my query - but as most know, there's loads of information to fill out.

I'm currently in a Global role as an independent contractor based in the UK, but the plan has always been to relocate back to Australia (we lived in Australia 6 years ago, but had to return to the UK due to family obligations, which no longer exist). My employer has offered me a permanent role with the option of living "anywhere". They are a very large global company and there is some flexibility in the job I do - as I work with people all over the world. But here's the twist - they do not sponsor visa, full stop. Happy to do transfers for people who move on their own steam, but I guess don't want the headache or responsibility of dealing with mobility issues.

I have the option of remaining a contractor or flipping to a perm, but we (my husband and I) would really love to get back to Australia before our age becomes an issue (although I've already gone over the golden age of 45, the husband still hasn't).

Has anyone been in a somewhat similar situation? Looking to move, but don't need a job - as you have one and are gainfully employed. Employer is happy to keep you on, but not willing to formally sponsor a visa.

As a side note, I should mention my husband is self-employed (eCommerce business) and he, as well, can be located anywhere.

Which agency are you filling out the assessment form for?   I hope they are offering to give you a free assessment - if they're going to charge you, go somewhere else.  The good agents offer a free first consultation.

If you are over 45 then you cannot be the primary applicant, so your husband will need to be the one who gets the visa.  If he applies for a permanent visa (the 189 or the 190) or a provisional visa (the 491), there is usually no need for a job offer.  He just needs to have an occupation that is on the Skilled List.   We are still waiting for that list to be confirmed for 2020/21.   If his occupation is on the list, he also needs to have the qualifications and experience specified.  Finally, he will need to score enough points to be invited.  Nowadays, the process is highly competitive and only applicants with the highest points get invited (he rest just lose their money).   In the last round before the Covid shutdown, only people with over 95 points were chosen for the 189 visa.  Points are less important for the 190 and 491 visas - they are offered by the individual states, and they each have their own criteria. 

The problem for your husband is that I doubt his occupation is on the list.  There are business visas for people who want to open a business in Australia, but I believe the investment required is substantial. 

• Like 1

Many thanks to you both for your quick responses. I've reached out to someone who comes highly recommended on the forum, so I'm not really worried about that bit - meaning getting the assessment, it's just a matter of filling it out. Although you both have confirmed our worst fears.

It was recommended that we look at a sub 124 (Distinguished Talent Visa) because of my experience and status I hold within my area of work expertise - and I haven't hit the age limit of 55 (for a few more years). It seems pretty straight forward and with the ability to show that I've published whitepapers, have done the conference circuit in my field, held roles of importance, yadda, yadda, yadda - can prove my impact within my business area. 

We are also exploring the sponsor-yourself route for a 457, as well as a business investment - but both of those come with their own challenges. *sigh*

We've always prided ourselves in saying we've done things in our life that we wanted, normally against the grain and not with much family support or approval, and we haven't regretted any of those decisions - be the outcomes good or bad. But the one we made through pressure, we've always regretted... and I fear it will always stay with us. 😞

2 hours ago, MrsPOB said:

As per recommendations on the forum, I'm in the process of filling out an assessment form to speak in a bit more detail about my query - but as most know, there's loads of information to fill out. And, I thought, in the interest of time (and my sanity) I would just throw out this query in the hope someone might have been (or is) in a similar situation.

What has made you and your husband decide to move back to Australia?  Reading your previous posts neither of you were very happy here previously.

4 minutes ago, Toots said:

What has made you and your husband decide to move back to Australia?  Reading your previous posts neither of you were very happy here previously.

I think that's a fair statement. There were loads of bumps in the road, many we weren't prepared for... that combined with the pressures we were facing from the UK just made everything seem worst than what it really was. Looking for every crack, every little bump, it eventually just piled up. Like most people, looking back, who've gained a sense of perspective once we were out of that moment. Coming to the conclusion that what was clearly a mountain, followed by an erupting volcano at the time, was nothing more than an anthill 😖 - was most certainly a face slap realisation. 

But as they say, 20/20 is hindsight. We can't go back, we can just own up to the bad decision made and take some comfort, at least, in the knowledge that we know better now and we don't blame each other for the decisions that were made in the moment. Regret is a big enough thing to carry around, we don't need blame - which thankfully both my husband and I agree isn't a healthy thing to keep around in a marriage.

Oh and why go back... I should have answered that first 🙂 We realised that we were our healthiest and most active as a couple while in Australia. The difficulties we faced actually pulled us together as a couple... We were more interested in each other - our well-being, mental health, etc. So really, that was it... we were healthier, happier and stronger as a couple. And although the sunshine was not missed as a huge bonus - it was really our enjoyment as a couple that stood out.

PS And just for those curious, we are still riding high as a couple since our time in Australia. We would just like to continue the lifestyle.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, MrsPOB said:

Many thanks to you both for your quick responses. I've reached out to someone who comes highly recommended on the forum, so I'm not really worried about that bit - meaning getting the assessment, it's just a matter of filling it out. Although you both have confirmed our worst fears.

It was recommended that we look at a sub 124 (Distinguished Talent Visa) because of my experience and status I hold within my area of work expertise - and I haven't hit the age limit of 55 (for a few more years). It seems pretty straight forward and with the ability to show that I've published whitepapers, have done the conference circuit in my field, held roles of importance, yadda, yadda, yadda - can prove my impact within my business area. 

We are also exploring the sponsor-yourself route for a 457, as well as a business investment - but both of those come with their own challenges. *sigh*

We've always prided ourselves in saying we've done things in our life that we wanted, normally against the grain and not with much family support or approval, and we haven't regretted any of those decisions - be the outcomes good or bad. But the one we made through pressure, we've always regretted... and I fear it will always stay with us. 😞

The 124 is aimed at thing like international film stars, major name sports people and the like. The 457 no longer exists and the replacement 482 is very rarely been granted now as Australia has closed its borders to none citizens and residents. It will make exceptions, but mainly for people such as doctors 

19 hours ago, MrsPOB said:

There were loads of bumps in the road, many we weren't prepared for... that combined with the pressures we were facing from the UK just made everything seem worst than what it really was. Looking for every crack, every little bump, it eventually just piled up. 😖 - was most certainly a face slap realisation. 

But as they say, 20/20 is hindsight.

I would urge you, if you haven't done so already, to go back and read some of what you wrote when you were unhappy in Australia, to remind yourself how you really felt.  Hindsight is rarely 20/20 because our memories are not computers - their fundamental nature is selective, for efficiency reasons. Unfortunately that  can lead even the most intelligent person to draw false conclusions.

My oh and I tried moving to the UK, but came back. Over the last four years, there have been times when I've looked back and regretted the move back to Australia.  I remember the lovely holidays we had in Europe,and spending time with my family.  I shouldn't have let the bumps in the road put me off.  I shouldn't have turned an anthill into a mountain.  But then I go back and read some of what I wrote then.  And then I remember why I was so unhappy that I was willing to turn my life upside down to come back to Australia.  

All I'm saying is, make a conscious effort to remember the bad times and be sure you're not just suffering from rose-tinted glasses

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 3

I'd agree with Marisa - look back at what you wrote when you were unhappy.  It is so very easy to compare the "bad of the now" with the "good of the then" and of course the bad will always come off second best.  There were times in this past 9 years where even I have looked fondly on Australia because at times the going got really tough.  I am back in Australia now and though the loathing I had for it back then isnt as strong, all those other little niggles that eventually drove me to dislike it are still there. You'll quite likely feel the same way you did back then and if there are bumps in the road you will begin to question why you ever left (again!).  It may all be moot though, it doesn't look like you'll have much chance of a permanent move because you are over the age (and remember that Australia is a very ageist society with the over 50s being over the hill no matter how fabulous they might be) and is e-commerce on the visa skills list???/

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Quoll said:

and is e-commerce on the visa skills list???/

Depends on what the OP’s actual occupation is ... there are a good number of ICT jobs on the lists including web administrator, web developer and web designer, which are all on the STSOL. 

• Like 2

Many thanks all for the additional responses and thoughts. Our decision has been in the making for just over a year (without sounding too cold or morbid, that's when the obligations that originally brought us back to the UK are no longer a factor) - so indeed there have many, many conversations. Checking out the forum, looking at current and previous posts, speaking about what drove our frustrations - some ended in laughter, some ended in "why were we so worked up" and loads ending in "well that's what we'd be going back to". We've had countless conversations with friends - both still in Australia and those elsewhere. So it's a topic that's been well covered and I'm sure will continue to be one, because we both know that even then, there are going to be new experiences that haven't been considered. Just like when we returned to the UK, times/situations change. The experiences we had back in 2014/2015 have more than likely have morphed, especially given the current climate of the world - but, as said before, we are looking at the totality of the experience. And pragmatically going in with our eyes wide open - well, attempting to anyway 🙂

As mentioned above, the possibility of returning is somewhat of a long-shot... but I'll remain to be positive until I get that door slam 😉