Life in quarantine (Melbourne)

Lavers

On 01/08/2020 at 07:21, Heading4Tassie said:

I am still not sure if you have to quarantine where you arrive in Oz Internationally and then also in Tassie as we are planning to migrate here or whether we can try to connect via the 'mainland' and go straight to Tassie to quarantine just the once 🤔🤔

My post in reponse to this last Saturday has been superseded already by today's change in rules by the Tasmanian government ( "open border" travel from S.A., W.A. and N.T. now won't be allowed as was planned from 7th August).  In such a volatile situation the only solution is to keep an eye on the official Tasmanian government website nearer to the time of your arrival:   https://www.coronavirus.tas.gov.au/travellers-and-visitors/coming-to-tasmania 

8 hours ago, Skani said:

My post in reponse to this last Saturday has been superseded already by today's change in rules by the Tasmanian government ( "open border" travel from S.A., W.A. and N.T. now won't be allowed as was planned from 7th August).  In such a volatile situation the only solution is to keep an eye on the official Tasmanian government website nearer to the time of your arrival:   https://www.coronavirus.tas.gov.au/travellers-and-visitors/coming-to-tasmania 

Hi @Skani I saw that on my Tasmanian news update this morning regarding the border will not open now in August at all . It is very re-assuring that the state wish to protect everyone on the island taking action accordingly and we can of course understand that wish too (Just wish we had already arrived there). It's a bit like trying to pin down jelly at the moment making renewed plans to migrate. We should have actually arrived in Launceston tomorrow (2nd planned arrangements) but we know we will  make it eventually (fingers and toes crossed) just have to wait a little longer for our Tasmanian chapter to begin.

Apreciate you posting the update 😊

• Like 3

It's been a busy week this week so here is a little update.

Got our hire car monday and looked at 4 or 5 houses, went in for the house we wanted and got it 👍 filled in the enrolment papers for school this morning so hopefully hear back from that soon.

Also got an interview Monday for a job so fingers crossed something comes from that.

Seems like it's all falling into place 👍

• Like 6
  • Congratulations 1

Just now, Lavers said:

Got our hire car monday and looked at 4 or 5 houses, went in for the house we wanted and got it 👍 filled in the enrolment papers for school this morning so hopefully hear back from that soon.

Also got an interview Monday for a job so fingers crossed something comes from that.

Wow what a week!  G'won share some picks of the house... We are all living vicariously here!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Wow what a week!  G'won share some picks of the house... We are all living vicariously here!

Should have put in there that's it's only a rental....I cant get the link on as it's gone of realestate now.

It's a new build lovely inside, only a small garden but it's in a cul-de-sac so at least the kids can play out easy.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lavers said:

Should have put in there that's it's only a rental....I cant get the link on as it's gone of realestate now.

It's a new build lovely inside, only a small garden but it's in a cul-de-sac so at least the kids can play out easy.

Yeah I figured a rental, but still finding one you like on the first day and getting it is pretty good going.

36 minutes ago, Dorsetbrit said:

How hard is it get a rental over there Lavers? We will do the same when we arrive in Sydney but we have no earnings as we haven’t got jobs over there, do you have to pay 6 months up front or how does it work?

All went fairly smoothly, you create an account on something called tenantoptions as this is how you apply for houses. I have seen another site similar to tenantoptions called 1form, but it depends which one the estate agent uses.

I emailed one of the estate agents as on tenantoptions it asks for references which I didnt have. She rang me the next day and explained what I needed and said that she would help me find a house.

I haven't got a job either so I showed her my account balance, got a reference off my old boss and also a reference of the host of my airbnb. On tenantoptions it asks you who your referee is and you just put in there email address, then it emails them a link to put a reference in.

The house I wanted had just gone but she told me that next door was available it just hadn't gone to market yet so if I wanted it I could have it.

We have paid the bond and 2 weeks rent upfront and that's it, I mentioned about paying a few months upfront but she just said that she doesnt like doing that.

Hope it makes sense

Edited by Lavers
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Curly said:

Good work Lavers 

Glad it’s all falling into place. What area did you decide on in the end?

Fingers crossed for the interview next week. 

Cheers Curly

Ended up in North Plympton, 10 min to the beach and 10 min to the city.

Also theres seems to be a fair few fab shops north of the city, so not so far to travel if I work in that area.

• Like 1

Nice mate it’s a pretty good area and yeah you will be close to everything there. What school have you decided on for your daughter?

You will find most of the heavy industrial areas are North of the city but the roads are not too bad. Just gets pretty busy in rush hour. 

22 hours ago, Lavers said:

Good luck with the interview mate. Good to get in a place and feel settled too.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Lavers said:

All the best with your interview on Monday Lavers.  😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Our friends daughters go to Plympton who are English too so might be nice when your daughter goes there. The eldest is 9 so a similar age to yours. 

Good to meet some friendly locals. There are some good parks around and even better when you see them out in the wild. 

22 minutes ago, Curly said:

Our friends daughters go to Plympton who are English too so might be nice when your daughter goes there. The eldest is 9 so a similar age to yours. 

Good to meet some friendly locals. There are some good parks around and even better when you see them out in the wild. 

Haha so there the only english family there then.

Spoke with the school yesterday, handed in the forms and seeing the principal next Thursday.

Where abouts in Plympton are they?

We have got our rental on about 1.4Km from the school.

Haha yeah they probably are. There eldest daughter has started in Mitcham high school and they have 2 other daughters still there.  

They live in near the tram lines in Plympton so it’s not too far from them. My daughter is in Richmond which is not too far away either. 

it’s a good spot and close enough to everything so I’m sure you will like it there. Hopefully your daughter settles in well which I’m sure she will. 

All went fairly smoothly, you create an account on something called tenantoptions as this is how you apply for houses. I have seen another site similar to tenantoptions called 1form, but it depends which one the estate agent uses.
I emailed one of the estate agents as on tenantoptions it asks for references which I didnt have. She rang me the next day and explained what I needed and said that she would help me find a house.
I haven't got a job either so I showed her my account balance, got a reference off my old boss and also a reference of the host of my airbnb. On tenantoptions it asks you who your referee is and you just put in there email address, then it emails them a link to put a reference in.
The house I wanted had just gone but she told me that next door was available it just hadn't gone to market yet so if I wanted it I could have it.
We have paid the bond and 2 weeks rent upfront and that's it, I mentioned about paying a few months upfront but she just said that she doesnt like doing that.
Hope it makes sense

What does referee mean? Thanks for explaining all this really don’t have much of a clue right now.

9 minutes ago, Dorsetbrit said:

What does referee mean? Thanks for explaining all this really don’t have much of a clue right now.

No problem.....its just the person who will be giving you a reference.

I am more than happy to help if I can 👍