Life in quarantine (Melbourne)

Lavers

11 hours ago, Aussiebird said:

Yes it is.  Hopefully as the flights are through Qantas, you may not have to do the tests pre flight. Great you haven't got to apply for the g2g pass too!

I wouldn't bet on it.  I am sure they will confrim.

Qantas have a health declaration on their website for all travellers by the looks of it;  Perhaps if this is completed it tells you what to do.

https://www.qantas.com/gb/en/travel-info/travel-updates/coronavirus/health-screen-form.html 

I wouldn't bet on it.  I am sure they will confrim.

Qantas have a health declaration on their website for all travellers by the looks of it;  Perhaps if this is completed it tells you what to do.
https://www.qantas.com/gb/en/travel-info/travel-updates/coronavirus/health-screen-form.html 

That’s all pretty straight forward and I’m sure they would inform people that have booked a flight if anything else was needed.

2 hours ago, Dorsetbrit said:

That’s all pretty straight forward and I’m sure they would inform people that have booked a flight if anything else was needed.

Yes - I would say though if you are flying via Dubai the emirates link ir pretty clear that this applies to all transit passenger effective 1st August, so I would assume you need the test and plan it in.

Yes - I would say though if you are flying via Dubai the emirates link ir pretty clear that this applies to all transit passenger effective 1st August, so I would assume you need the test and plan it in.

Not really it says if not on the above list you can choose to have a test done but not that you need one. That’s how I read it?

6 minutes ago, Dorsetbrit said:

Not really it says if not on the above list you can choose to have a test done but not that you need one. That’s how I read it?

The next section:

From 1 August 2020 all passengers arriving in Dubai from any destination, including passengers connecting in Dubai, must have a negative COVID-19 test certificate to be accepted on the flight. The test must be taken a maximum of 96 hours before departure. This excludes children under the age of 12 and passengers who have a moderate or severe disability.

The next section:
From 1 August 2020 all passengers arriving in Dubai from any destination, including passengers connecting in Dubai, must have a negative COVID-19 test certificate to be accepted on the flight. The test must be taken a maximum of 96 hours before departure. This excludes children under the age of 12 and passengers who have a moderate or severe disability.

Well if it has to be I guess we will have to but you’d think Qantas might mention this to us. We’re also more likely to catch it going to London I presume to get a negative test. This bloody virus is a real ball ache.

4 hours ago, Dorsetbrit said:

Well if it has to be I guess we will have to but you’d think Qantas might mention this to us. We’re also more likely to catch it going to London I presume to get a negative test. This bloody virus is a real ball ache.

Would you please let everyone on here know when you have found the place to have the test done, just in case others are looking at Qantas flights, like you say, it should be on there website!!

I have been checking Singapore airlines flights again, it looks like there are no flights in September, now starting in October, does anyone know when the international arrivals cap in WA ends? I know it was initially 4 weeks. 

12 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Tasmania also has the G2G pass per the website, but the wording isn't quite so firm.

Thanks for the update on this Jon as I hadn't seen this yet re Tasmania. another thing to add to the ever increasing things that have to be actioned. I am still not sure if you have to quarantine where you arrive in Oz Internationally and then also in Tassie as we are planning to migrate here or whether we can try to connect via the 'mainland' and go straight to Tassie to quarantine just the once 🤔🤔

Edited by Heading4Tassie

2 hours ago, Heading4Tassie said:

. I am still not sure if you have to quarantine where you arrive in Oz Internationally and then also in Tassie as we are planning to migrate here or whether we can try to connect via the 'mainland' and go straight to Tassie to quarantine just the once 🤔🤔

As I understand the situation  - and rules change regularly in the current situation - you will have to hotel quarantine  only in Tasmania  providing you transit directly to your connecting flight through the arrival airport  (ie. not leave the airport).  However, from 7 August there will be no quarantine requirements in Tasmania for people arriving from Western Australia, South Australia or the Northern Territory so theoretically you would also have the option of hotel quarantine in those jurisdictions then have direct entry to Tasmania   (providing your  flight is not through Melbourne airport).  

https://www.coronavirus.tas.gov.au/travellers-and-visitors/coming-to-tasmania

Edited by Skani
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Lavers said:

Just keep an eye on the exchange rate as it is creeping back into your/mine favour just gone up to 1.83 👍

Yes I looked at it today and it made me a little sad. If we had sold and transferred the cash in March we'd have nearly a 100k more dollars for our house search

Here's hoping it gets back to around 2 to the pound sometime in the next 12 months

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Ausvisitor said:

Yes I looked at it today and it made me a little sad. If we had sold and transferred the cash in March we'd have nearly a 100k more dollars for our house search

Here's hoping it gets back to around 2 to the pound sometime in the next 12 months

You know with China recovering quickly from this, and Brexit looking like a basket case, this may not happen. I think the worst I've ever seen it is 1.60. But I guess its unlikely, but there is no reason why parity can't be achieved. And if the USD continues to fall, and with the UK china relationship not looking healthy, UK USA trade relationship looks difficult, so the bad exchange rate could continue for some time. Fortunately for me I won't need to make decisions for some years. But you will have some difficult decisions to make 

We moved out in late November 2016. We had someone interested in the house in the UK and the exchange rate was 1.93. Then they had the vote for Brexit and it dropped to 1.62 about a week after it had been announced that they were leaving. We sold the house a few weeks later and held on to the money as long as we could hoping it would go back up again. We eventually got 1.68 when we moved out so still wiped a few thousand off our start up funds 🤦🏼‍♂️

11 hours ago, Ausvisitor said:

That means you are moving to Australia with £500,000, which isn't a bad situation to be in. I'm sure you'll survive, unless you plan to move to Sydney or Melbourne! 😄 

5 minutes ago, Wanderer Returns said:

That means you are moving to Australia with £500,000, which isn't a bad situation to be in. I'm sure you'll survive, unless you plan to move to Sydney or Melbourne! 😄 

I know and im bothered about a few extra thousand haha.

Rate is up at 1.83 and may hit 1.9 again shortly, I think the trouble in VIC is sending the rate that way.

If it hits 1.9 I'll send the rest of my cash and it furnishes some of the house for free 😎

• Like 1

On 01/08/2020 at 06:53, Lavers said:

Just keep an eye on the exchange rate as it is creeping back into your/mine favour just gone up to 1.83 👍

I'd assumed (rightly or wrongly) that the drop in the GBP-AUD exchange rate over the last 3 months was down to the expectation that the Australian economy wouldn't be as badly affected by pandemic as the UK economy. However, we've seen some pretty bad economic data coming out of Australia recently, and combine with the current shutdowns that are now occuring and we may see further gains for the pound.

2 minutes ago, Lavers said:

I know and im bothered about a few extra thousand haha.

Rate is up at 1.83 and may hit 1.9 again shortly, I think the trouble in VIC is sending the rate that way.

If it hits 1.9 I'll send the rest of my cash and it furnishes some of the house for free 😎

@Lavers I am thinking and hoping the same, but as our house sale fell through (again) on Friday, it will be a long time before we'll be exchanging anything! 😠

...but at least we're all here and the sun is shining! 😀

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, Wanderer Returns said:

@Lavers I am thinking and hoping the same, but as our house sale fell through (again) on Friday, it will be a long time before we'll be exchanging anything! 😠

Will you look at renting if it still doesnt sell for a while?

True...if we didnt come when we did then it would have been next year easy until we could have made it.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Wanderer Returns said:

Well at least UK house prices are going up, and the new stamp duty rules may help you.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Wanderer Returns said:

Sydney apartment in the CBD so I can walk to work unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it)

• Like 1