Life in quarantine (Melbourne)

Lavers

8 minutes ago, Aussiebird said:

How do you order food from outside the hotel and pay for it?

Just pay with your card and tell them your room number. Deliveries are left at reception and they will the bring it to your room.

Just now, Lavers said:

Just pay with your card and tell them your room number. Deliveries are left at reception and they will the bring it to your room.

Ah thats good. Thank you.  

I also forgot to ask you, which country did you transit through and did you have to do any forms online for it or at the transiting airport?

Great to hear that things are going as smoothly as they can. Hopefully you have plenty to keep you occupied.. you've probably got this covered but there may be of some use if you really get bored. - some of them we have used at home with the kids as its school holidays again!

Melbourne Symphony Orchestra

MSO is livestreaming some their performances on YouTube. Head to their YouTube channel to enjoy the music.

National Gallery of Victoria

The NGV has a number of virtual tours available online so that you can view the artworks they currently have on display. Check it out on the NGV website.

Zoos Victoria

Zoos Victoria have set up a few live stream cameras from Melbourne Zoo and Werribee Open Range Zoo, so that you can enjoy the zoo from anywhere. View the Animal House stream's on the Zoos Victoria website.

Museum at Home

Take a virtual tour of Melbourne Museum, become a little scientist from the comfort of your own home, or delve deeper into Victoria's immigration history with Museum Victoria's Museum at Home.

Melbourne Recital Centre

Melbourne Recital Centre are taking a range of live musical performances online for you to enjoy in your own home. Tune into Live from Melbourne Recital Centre.

ACMI

Join ACMI every Wednesday for a weekly movie night with their virtual Cinematheque. You can enjoy a selection of classic and contemporary films selected by ACMI's Film Department and the Melbourne Cinematheque Committee.

SEA LIFE Melbourne

Learn all about marine life and some of the beautiful underwater creatures at SEA LIFE Melbourne with their live streams.

2020 Sydney Biennale

Experience the 2020 Sydney Biennale online! You can enjoy online activations and experiences that draw on the seven themes that inspire the exhibition.

Sydney Opera House

Enjoy the Sydney Opera House from home with weekly live recordings, never-before-seen footage, podcasts, articles, videos and more on their new digital program.

There are a number of museums and art galleries across the globe that are providing online and virtual experiences. This comprehensive list has plenty of options to keep you busy - some of the highlights include:

The Smithsonian

Take a self-guided tour of the National Museum of Natural History with their guided tours.

The Louvre

With a range of online tours, you can visit the museum's exhibition rooms and galleries without leaving the comfort of your own couch.

Yosemite National Park

Go on a virtual tour of California's Yosemite National Park, one of America's most popular natural environments.

The Guggenheim

Search through an online database of selected artworks from the Guggenheim's permanent collection.

The Tate

Each of the Tate's four galleries (the Britain and Modern in London, Tate Liverpool and Tate St Ives) have a series of kids resources, videos, podcasts and online classes available.

The Museum of Modern Art (MoMA)

You can enjoy exhibition tours and learn about artworks via videos, Q&A's with curators, playlist and articles in MoMA's Virtual Views series.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Lavers said:

It says you can have fresh air time but not sure how often or how long. All the back wall is a window over looking the airport, but not much action at the minute.

I'm used to running or cycling every day so it will be hard work, but I'm going to start some online exercise classes tomorrow.

If you do something every day you've come to live in the right place. I can recommend joining a surf club as soon as you're settled. Great for the kids, not that expensive for family memberships, they have gyms and usually a very active "masters" group. 

If ours is anything to go by someone will be arranging something just about every day, even through winter. Not just surf club stuff either. We do triathlons, adventure racing, mountain and road biking, just straight running if that's what you like. So many people put there hand up to organise things and it doesn't cost anything. The sessions are there and it's up to you to go if you want. I'm golfing today with some surfclub mates, $16 for nine holes with a seniors card BTW.😎, run tomorrow, a big group swim every day no matter what the weather, (thay're nuts), surf ski and board paddling goes the whole year too.

My kids both loved it and my eldest is 30 and still has a lot of friends he made through the clubs and competing. They've always kept fit 'cos they know what it feels like to be fit. Good time to do some research whilst you're locked up. Winter is great for a bit more biking and running. 

• Like 3

Well done and thank you for putting this on, had no idea of what was involved with it before and my wife and 3 year old son and myself are going out in October and was worried about the quarantine especially keeping a 3 year old entertained for so long as he’s a real outdoor kid but it’s a small price to pay for the rest of your life. It’s a shame they don’t allow you to go to a home or air B and B to do it so you could at least have a garden. Maybe asking to much but that’s I believe how it works in uk. Any advise you can give that will help our time in quarantine apart from the usual I pads, games etc would be great and thank you for the in site to quarantine.

16 minutes ago, Dorsetbrit said:

It’s a shame they don’t allow you to go to a home or air B and B to do it so you could at least have a garden. Maybe asking to much but that’s I believe how it works in uk. 

That's how they set it up in Australia too, at first, but they found that far too many people were cheating and going out shopping etc.    So those idiots spoiled it for everyone else. 

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Dorsetbrit said:

Well done and thank you for putting this on, had no idea of what was involved with it before and my wife and 3 year old son and myself are going out in October and was worried about the quarantine especially keeping a 3 year old entertained for so long as he’s a real outdoor kid but it’s a small price to pay for the rest of your life. It’s a shame they don’t allow you to go to a home or air B and B to do it so you could at least have a garden. Maybe asking to much but that’s I believe how it works in uk. Any advise you can give that will help our time in quarantine apart from the usual I pads, games etc would be great and thank you for the in site to quarantine.

No worries if I can give people an insight then it's all good.

My eldest who is 10 is happy playing on the playstation and so far my 4 yr old has been happy colouring in all her dolls who now look like smurfs.

Both my girls love being outside so probably feel it more next week.

Just the food has been an issue for my youngest as shes a fussy eater anyway. Just got a load of fruit and cereal from woolworths so that should sort her out for a while.

Got our 1st covid test tomorrow so I'll let you know how that goes.

Food for us today was:

Breakfast: Quiche (a bit random)

Lunch: chicken and coleslaw baguette

Tea: Pasta arrabiata

You get a drink with breakfast and tea but not lunch. So got some cordial in aswell.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Aussiebird said:

Ah thats good. Thank you.  

I also forgot to ask you, which country did you transit through and did you have to do any forms online for it or at the transiting airport?

Hiya

We went with qatar airways and went via doha.

I had to show my visa paperwork at Manchester but nothing after that.

Just had to do the declaration card to hand in at Australia.

Guest The Pom Queen

I love reading your posts, you are so positive about everything, I think you are going to have a wonderful life in Oz. Thank you so much for sharing this journey with us ❤️
Can I ask, do they give you a microwave and utensils in case people want to do an online shop? 
‘I’m not sure if you are on a tight schedule to get to SA but if not you could look at buying a car in Vic and then drive to SA via the Great Ocean Road. It would be a fantastic break. 
If you do buy a car online or second hand you could get the RACV to do an inspection of it so that you know you aren’t buying a dud. Also use the Redbook site to check you aren’t paying too much https://www.redbook.com.au . For buying look at https://www.carsales.com.au although if you buy in Victoria you will need to register the car again when you get to Adelaide (well I presume that’s the case, it is for the other states)

‘Don’t forget you can apply for your tax file number now etc, 

567FE229-6D1E-4CDB-BC8D-ED0BD2167881.jpeg

4502687C-0AB0-4326-8AAF-2C0DE96FEC8A.jpeg

2B06E9E3-335D-4338-9800-04C72654288B.jpeg

4 hours ago, Lavers said:

Hiya

We went with qatar airways and went via doha.

I had to show my visa paperwork at Manchester but nothing after that.

Just had to do the declaration card to hand in at Australia.

I’ve been following your post and am so glad you made it. Congratulations . We are at the beginning of the planning process but hope to be there by the end of the year. My husband is an Australian. Did you travel on visas or citizens? Did you have to state compelling reasons to travel during this time - my only compelling reason is that for many personal reasons the time is right for the end of the year - not sure this constitutes compelling reason! Any advice you can give me going throug the process would be appreciated 

3 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

I love reading your posts, you are so positive about everything, I think you are going to have a wonderful life in Oz. Thank you so much for sharing this journey with us ❤️
Can I ask, do they give you a microwave and utensils in case people want to do an online shop? 
‘I’m not sure if you are on a tight schedule to get to SA but if not you could look at buying a car in Vic and then drive to SA via the Great Ocean Road. It would be a fantastic break. 
If you do buy a car online or second hand you could get the RACV to do an inspection of it so that you know you aren’t buying a dud. Also use the Redbook site to check you aren’t paying too much https://www.redbook.com.au . For buying look at https://www.carsales.com.au although if you buy in Victoria you will need to register the car again when you get to Adelaide (well I presume that’s the case, it is for the other states)

‘Don’t forget you can apply for your tax file number now etc, 

567FE229-6D1E-4CDB-BC8D-ED0BD2167881.jpeg

4502687C-0AB0-4326-8AAF-2C0DE96FEC8A.jpeg

2B06E9E3-335D-4338-9800-04C72654288B.jpeg

Aww thank you we always try and see the brighter side as a family, as life is what you make of it.

No microwave for us that would have come in handy. We are being given to much food to eat though and I feel bad leaving stuff, and the kids are leaving a lot also.

You read my mind regarding driving the great ocean road, we are going to have a couple of days in Melbourne to go to the zoo etc. Then get a hire car which are pretty much half price as no one needs them. I have looked at buying a car but the problem is with all our luggage it is getting something big enough to fit everything in. Where would you suggest stopping over on the great ocean road? We are looking at 3 over nights.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dreambig1 said:

I’ve been following your post and am so glad you made it. Congratulations . We are at the beginning of the planning process but hope to be there by the end of the year. My husband is an Australian. Did you travel on visas or citizens? Did you have to state compelling reasons to travel during this time - my only compelling reason is that for many personal reasons the time is right for the end of the year - not sure this constitutes compelling reason! Any advice you can give me going throug the process would be appreciated 

Hiya

We got the 190PR visa on news years eve last year, so it was a perfect end/start to a year.

As it stands only Citizens, Permanent Residents and immediate family can travel to Aus so you would be covered as your partner is a citizen.

I think the compelling reason to travel is more for leaving Australia.

So 1st test is done and it's not that bad, they swab your tonsils then you have to inhale the cotton bud up each nostril to take a sample. 

Took my eldest about 30mins to do it so I dont think the nurses where impressed 🙈.

Other than that we are nearly 1/4 of the way through already 👍

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, Lavers said:

So 1st test is done and it's not that bad, they swab your tonsils then you have to inhale the cotton bud up each nostril to take a sample. 

Took my eldest about 30mins to do it so I dont think the nurses where impressed 🙈.

Other than that we are nearly 1/4 of the way through already 👍

I'm going to have trouble then, my tonsils went in a hospital incinerator decades ago 🤤

Edited by Ausvisitor
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, North to South said:

Hi, 

Just wondering if you know if you’re a family of 3 with a teenage daughter if you all have to be in the one room, or can you request two rooms and pay for the extra ? Do you have opening windows for fresh air ?

Hope it continues to go well there.

I think it will depend on which hotel you get as to what size rooms they have.

If you where in the same as me then I would have thought that you would get 2 rooms as they only have a king size bed in them.

No opening windows in my room but honestly it's not that bad. I cant believe that we have been here nearly a week already.

You just have to switch off and go with the flow. Our sleep pattern is all over the place still but we haven't tried hard to fix it and it probably hasn't helped that we cant go out and do anything.

So day 7 today and time is going fast.

Got our test results yesterday which all came back negative.

I checked which day we get released and it's actually on day 14 when your free. I have been told that we will be informed of a time on a few days before hand as they need to stagger everyone.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Lavers said:

I think it will depend on which hotel you get as to what size rooms they have.

If you where in the same as me then I would have thought that you would get 2 rooms as they only have a king size bed in them.

No opening windows in my room but honestly it's not that bad. I cant believe that we have been here nearly a week already.

You just have to switch off and go with the flow. Our sleep pattern is all over the place still but we haven't tried hard to fix it and it probably hasn't helped that we cant go out and do anything.

Thanks for this. I hope that the new lockdown in Melbourne won’t impact your onward plans when you do leave quarantine.  

51 minutes ago, North to South said:

Thanks for this. I hope that the new lockdown in Melbourne won’t impact your onward plans when you do leave quarantine.  

So far we should be fine I just hope that they dont start closing everything down.