Life in quarantine (Melbourne)

Lavers

46 minutes ago, Freemantle said:

It depends on the view and if the windows are tinted then there is no daylight! and it is not natural to spend ones time without fresh air... a basic human right!

Our windows were locked, suppose it stops people jumping out of them haha

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Freemantle said:

Its not pleasant... hotels with "locked" windows are chronic... food arriving with the proverbial knock on the door isnt the best, fortunately I was able to drop off supplies of grog and good food so he had something to look forward to! "airless hotels are not the best for mind or body, fortunately the company paid for everything but for such a substantial amount   it could have been better!

Covid is not the best for mind and body either, which is why the hotel quarantine is so strict. Generally speaking, people in hotel quarantine have freely and willingly chosen to be there, having travelled in full knowledge that it is a requirement prior to departure (with some excel). It is undoubtedly an unpleasant experience, but absolutely necessary in the current climate.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MacGyver said:

Covid is not the best for mind and body either, which is why the hotel quarantine is so strict. Generally speaking, people in hotel quarantine have freely and willingly chosen to be there, having travelled in full knowledge that it is a requirement prior to departure (with some excel). It is undoubtedly an unpleasant experience, but absolutely necessary in the current climate.

Exactly we knew what we where doing and it was well worth it.

We as a family didnt mind it really, it gave us chance to unwind and get some more research done.

We are used to spending time together as a family so it didnt really change anything.

We are just grateful that we are here really, our original plan was to come in the Sept not July. If we had stuck to that we may still be in the UK 😪

• Like 3

5 hours ago, MacGyver said:

Actually when the borders come crashing down mid flights which is what is happening many colleagues are left in limbo/quarantine without prior notice. I am fully aware of the reasons behind quarantine thank you.... example a colleague flew Brisbane to Perth, Perth to Karratha, worked two days and was then recalled for quarantine! (shakes head!)

9 hours ago, Lavers said:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-31/coronavirus-hotel-quarantine-rules-breach-earns-six-months-jail/12612130

Perth man receives six-month jail term over coronavirus hotel quarantine breach

Over the next three days, he repeatedly snuck out the window of his room onto the roof of the hotel, from where he managed to get down into a laneway, to be met by an accomplice who drove him away.

Edited by rtritudr

55 minutes ago, rtritudr said:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-31/coronavirus-hotel-quarantine-rules-breach-earns-six-months-jail/12612130

Perth man receives six-month jail term over coronavirus hotel quarantine breach

Over the next three days, he repeatedly snuck out the window of his room onto the roof of the hotel, from where he managed to get down into a laneway, to be met by an accomplice who drove him away.

Selfish man.  I hope his accomplice was charged too. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Lavers said:

That's exactly the reason - the suicide risk, and idiots trying to climb from one room to the next etc.

But if your window looked out on to a busy city street with all the noise and the fumes, would you want to open them anyway? Think I'd prefer to stick with the filtered air tbh.

9 hours ago, Freemantle said:

Actually when the borders come crashing down mid flights which is what is happening many colleagues are left in limbo/quarantine without prior notice. I am fully aware of the reasons behind quarantine thank you.... example a colleague flew Brisbane to Perth, Perth to Karratha, worked two days and was then recalled for quarantine! (shakes head!)

My earlier post had a typo, and said “with some excel”, but should have read “some exceptions “. What you describe would be those exceptions.

3 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Not looking forward to it I must say, but with time to plan we will have lots to amuse us, and family who can drop things off if needed.

Make sure you have your UK/AUS power adaptors with you, as that would be very annoying! Bringing a load of your favourite UK snacks seems to popular option with inmates, along with the purchase of an XBox/Playstation - even if you're not usually into computer games.

23 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Not looking forward to it I must say, but with time to plan we will have lots to amuse us, and family who can drop things off if needed.

It's really not that bad.

Is it ideal no, but its 2 weeks just take the time to unwind and relax.

• Like 1

On 09/01/2021 at 12:46, Dorsetbrit said:

We are due to leave UK on the 4th Feb 4 flights canceled so far and our stuff already left for Oz. We will have a 3 year old in quarantine but after wait and let downs it’s a small price to pay for what could be the rest of our lives. 

To be fair the way its going here in the UK by the end of the month it sounds like we will be limited to one outing a week, so not that dissimilar to being locked in a hotel room for two weeks

At the end of the day it's temporary pain for long term gain

• Like 1

My wife and I had our IgG test done and we are both positive for COVID-19 anti bodies.

so, we are not even sure when we had it. Though we suspect it was around April-May. We are currently in St Petersburg Russia.

People are wearing masks here, but it’s far more business as usual than say Australia.

55 minutes ago, Emmadoomers said:

Hi folks! Hope your quarantine went well, Lavers!

Just wondering what the cost of hotel quarantining currently is? I will likely be doing it myself in Melbourne in three months time. It will be just me - my partner will be joining me at a later date.

Hi Emma it is all a distant memory now haha.

$3000 per adult then another $1000 per adult in the room.

• Like 1

On 10/01/2021 at 05:41, Freemantle said:

"Borders come crashing down" is just the type of language the media love to make it sound worse than it is.

My son is FIFO here and was living in Newcastle when it kicked off. He had a couple of trips where he had to quarantine, thought it was crazy so moved back to WA. Not really planned but you have to do what you have to do to get through it. Good job he moved as it's gone on a lot longer than anyone thought a year ago.

• Like 1

On 12/01/2021 at 02:30, psuwara said:

My wife and I had our IgG test done and we are both positive for COVID-19 anti bodies.

so, we are not even sure when we had it. Though we suspect it was around April-May. We are currently in St Petersburg Russia.

People are wearing masks here, but it’s far more business as usual than say Australia.

Doubt it mate. There are parts of Aus, WA being one of them, where we had a few weeks of social distancing and restaurants, pubs etc closed. Even at it's worst no-one was stopped from going out and hardly anyone wore masks. As it turned out we've never had any community transmission and things got back to normal pretty quick. You wouldn't know the virus even happened if you lived here. No masks, pubs, reataurants, busy, no social distancing, no covid cases.

4 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

"Borders come crashing down" is just the type of language the media love to make it sound worse than it is.

My son is FIFO here and was living in Newcastle when it kicked off. He had a couple of trips where he had to quarantine, thought it was crazy so moved back to WA. Not really planned but you have to do what you have to do to get through it. Good job he moved as it's gone on a lot longer than anyone thought a year ago.

My husband has done 8 weeks quarantine in total which is why we moved to WA, quarantined with no problems but some hotels better than others. I have done 2 weeks which was utter bliss on a camping site nr the airport, a beautiful cabin and we could sit out on the balcony and watch the world go by!  Lucily the company paid for all the quarantine and taxi fares which was an added bonus! 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Freemantle said:

My husband has done 8 weeks quarantine in total which is why we moved to WA, quarantined with no problems but some hotels better than others. I have done 2 weeks which was utter bliss on a camping site nr the airport, a beautiful cabin and we could sit out on the balcony and watch the world go by!  Lucily the company paid for all the quarantine and taxi fares which was an added bonus! 

My son had to quarantine in Karratha a couple of times before going out to the rig. They put them in a FIFO camp site where they all had their own cabin. They could shout to neighbours from their deck while having a beer at night. He didn't mind it as they were getting paid too. 

Said it's the closest he's felt to being a professional gamer.