Life in quarantine (Melbourne)

Lavers

So yesterday we arrived in Melbourne, My wife and I and 2 girls 10 & 4.

Upon arrival we had our temp taken then we had 2 checkpoints to do, 1 to sign paperwork agreeing to qaurantine then the 2nd to pick up forms to fill in to handover at the hotel. This only took 10mins as we got moved to the front of the queue with having the kids.

Through passport control, collect bags, through customs then led through the back entrance to wait in the rear carpark. We then got given a little box with some chocolate bars in and a drink. Onto the bus and taken to the parkroyal hotel which is the airport hotel.

We had to wait on the bus 10mins whilst they cleared the check in area, other than that everything else was pretty much straight through. We went up into reception where they did the usual passports and a debit card in case you use any extras, with having the kids they gave us interconnecting rooms so we have plenty of room and we have 2 TVs 👍

Then the last desk where we handed over our earlier paperwork where it got approved, we grabbed another bag of food and went upto our room.

Everyone was really helpful and it all went smoothly, we get free wifi, films and a few soft drinks in the mini bar.

3 set meals a day where they play knock a door run, you can order takeaways if you like during set times and you are free to order of the hotel menu at your cost. So far the food isnt that bad and theres just enough seeing as I'm sat on my arse all day, just got my lunch but without a drink so I need to do a woolworths shop for some drinks for the kids.

The nurse also rang before and she does a questionnaire daily about symptoms and will a day a test on day 3 & 11, it did say on my paperwork that they do a saliva test for kids but she said that that is false for the time being anyway, and that everyone will have to do the swab test. If you refuse the test on day 11 then you must complete a further 10days in qaurantine and I would have thought at your expense but I'm not sure.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 6

5 minutes ago, Wanderer Returns said:

@Lavers as a matter of interest, did you have the opportunity to get some duty free in when you arrived? 🤔

I didnt bother mate although it does say in my information pack that you aren't allowed tobacco or alcohol in your shopping or packages from friends or family. Come to think of it though there was only a boots open at Manchester airport, Qatar had shops open not sure on duty free.

There is a minibar menu which I'm sure you can order off, I think there just trying to make sure that you dont order in a load of spirits and try jumping out of the window. There seems to be a big thing on mental wellbeing.

Will probably be on the minibar in a few days 😂

Edited by Lavers
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, Lavers said:

I didnt bother mate although it does say in my information pack that you aren't allowed tobacco or alcohol in your shopping or packages from friends or family. Come to think of it though there was only a boots open at Manchester airport, Qatar had shops open not sure on duty free.

There is a minibar menu which I'm sure you can order off, I think there just trying to make sure that you dont order in a load of spirits and try jumping out of the window. There seems to be a big thing on mental wellbeing.

Will probably be on the minibar in a few days 😂

We are here to "talk" to if you start to get a bit stir crazy. 😉

• Like 5

Glad you've arrived OK, thanks for posting your experience, it's really interesting! 

You just missed being diverted to another airport I guess - way things are in Melbourne at the moment you're probably better off where you are than in the community, seems like Victoria will be cut off from everyone soon.

Just realised, will you have to do 2 lots of 2 weeks quarantine now?

Welcome to Australia! 

(Personally I may as well be in quarantine, working, eating, sleeping at home, not allowed in the office, and sadly I think this lockdown starting tonight will expand to more of Melbourne before we get over this)

4 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

Doesn't sound too bad, good job you have 2 TV's. Best time of year to be in isolation, make use of the free wifi and do a virtual tour of Melbourne with google maps and streetview. Be a good way to kill a few hours.

That's it Paul it could be a lot worse.

Got plenty to sort out and jet lag to get over so the 1st few days will be a breeze.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, elderberry said:

Just realised, will you have to do 2 lots of 2 weeks quarantine now?

Welcome to Australia! 

(Personally I may as well be in quarantine, working, eating, sleeping at home, not allowed in the office, and sadly I think this lockdown starting tonight will expand to more of Melbourne before we get over this)

Thank you... I know what you mean working from home, its surprising how you can miss a routine.

Yeah unfortunately another 2 weeks self isolation when we get to SA, but I'm not worrying about it as theres nothing I can do.

Judt hope the car rentals dont shut as I need one to get there.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lavers said:

Provided they get the current spike under control, I think you'll be fine.  You're not tempted to buy something while you're in Victoria? I've seen a couple of car dealers advertising that they'll bring cars to you.

Just now, Marisawright said:

Provided they get the current spike under control, I think you'll be fine.  You're not tempted to buy something while you're in Victoria? I've seen a couple of car dealers advertising that they'll bring cars to you.

I'll have at look at that thank you, only want a cheap run around to start with until I get a job sorted.

Many congrats on arriving - must be a relief to know that you are finally there! (Or at least somewhere in Australia) 🙂

Did you have to do anything on arrival/departure to prove your 190 was valid (Like you we haven't yet done a validation trip - actually should have landed in Syndney at 8am yesterday but flight cancelled)

Keep us up to date on the joys of hotel living

19 minutes ago, Ausvisitor said:

Many congrats on arriving - must be a relief to know that you are finally there! (Or at least somewhere in Australia) 🙂

Did you have to do anything on arrival/departure to prove your 190 was valid (Like you we haven't yet done a validation trip - actually should have landed in Syndney at 8am yesterday but flight cancelled)

Keep us up to date on the joys of hotel living

Hiya Mate I just carried a copy of my Visa grant and they did ask for it when we where checking in at Manchester.

After that nothing was asked for, we are classed as residents even though we haven't been before.

Had a little messing around with my daughters new passport as it's the new british one and some people haven't seen one before.

Just checked flights to brisbane and sydney and there back up over £3000 so looks like we made it at the right time.

When are your flights rearranged for?

Just had lamb, new potatoes and green beans for tea 👍

28 minutes ago, Lavers said:

Just had lamb, new potatoes and green beans for tea 👍

Fabulous. Hope we get that when we eventually get there !
Glad you all arrived safely.

If you think of anything that you "wish I had bought that with me " for your time in quarantine,  can you please post ?

Enjoy 😊

6 minutes ago, starlight7 said:

What do you do for exercise, do they let you out of your room at all? Couldn't stand being in one room for 2 weeks- hope you have a window and something to look at!

It says you can have fresh air time but not sure how often or how long. All the back wall is a window over looking the airport, but not much action at the minute.

I'm used to running or cycling every day so it will be hard work, but I'm going to start some online exercise classes tomorrow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AliQ said:

Fabulous. Hope we get that when we eventually get there !
Glad you all arrived safely.

If you think of anything that you "wish I had bought that with me " for your time in quarantine,  can you please post ?

Enjoy 😊

Will do ali

I've just ordered some bits from Woolworths, just got the kids some cereal and grapes so at least they eat something.

Fussy eaters my kids haha

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Lavers said:

Thank you... I know what you mean working from home, its surprising how you can miss a routine.

Yeah unfortunately another 2 weeks self isolation when we get to SA, but I'm not worrying about it as theres nothing I can do.

I love your positive attitude.  I always tell my kids ‘don’t worry about what you can’t change’ and I always try to live by that as much as I can. Another 2 weeks isolation after this but no drama/worrying, brilliant. It is what it is, you will all get through it fine and one day soon all will be great.  Your tea sounds lovely, right up my street. I hope you had a nice pudding afterwards too. Good luck to all of you. 

• Like 4