You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

ramot

Was I being grumpy or was I right?

These three things happened when I went for my walk around the lake yesterday.i have to add that I am well in my 70’s, reasonably’sh  fit

The path is wide enough for 2 people who know each other to walk side by side comfortably, and dogs must be on a lead.

First a teenager came towards me with a medium sized dog on a lead. I stood to one side to let her pass, so as the lead wasn’t short enough it slobbered over my leg.i intimated that I wasn’t amused. She did apologise and I thanked her.

Next dog walker with 2 dogs, one on lead the other off lead and taking up most of the path. I said as I had to move out of the way, that both dogs should be on leads. I was told the loose dog was friendly. I replied apparently so was the dog that had knocked me out when off lead.

Then I heard a couple coming up behind me, so as I walk a bit slowly these days, I again stopped and went to the side, to let them pass, they stayed side by side taking up most of the path, so I had to go slightly up the bank.I said excuse me, but I was polite enough to move to the side but you both could have gone single file. They said we would have if we had passed you. I said but you have just have ?

So I was either feeling grumpy or I was right to say something,  I’m not sorry I spoke up. Like others who walk here we are fed up with selfish walkers, especially young mothers with pushchairs chatting away side by side taking up all the path, and don’t me get started on the illiterate dog owners who can’t read that dogs should be on leads, let them roam and deposit anywhere while the owners walk on with not a care of where their dogs have performed.

Rant over!!

• Like 3

We've had the same experience here several times.   We've said something only once. Two young women were walking side by side, taking up the whole path.  We went single file but we could see they were still going to pass very close to us, so we stepped off the path onto the verge - which was muddy.  After they had passed, my hubby yelled at their backs that they should have moved over.  They stopped - at a safe distance by now - and one of them said, "Excuse me?" and he said "You're supposed to be social distancing". 

Their response was, "Oh we're not worried about that, we're health workers".  

???

• Like 3

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

I am a dog owner.  I love dogs BUT there are some very dumb dog owners out there.  We have places where they can run off leash but along all the path-ways they are supposed to be on a lead.  Because of badly behaved dogs and their stupid owners there are signs now very clearly stating all dogs must be on a leash but there are still the odd one or two who ignore them.  My dog loves people especially children but he's not keen on dogs he doesn't know running toward him and indulging in the bum sniffing activity.  He will growl at them and has been known to snap so their owners say "oh, he's not very friendly is he?"  For that reason when I see a dog we are not familiar with I pull him right up on a very short lead to attempt to keep him at my heel and when their excitable, bum sniffer gets a growl from him they usually also say "but my dog just wants to be friendly".   I just say "not every dog is friendly that is why I keep him at my heel. He doesn't want to be friendly".  I've seen young children knocked over by excitable dogs - again, dopey owners state "Awww he/she just wants to be friendly".  😐

• Like 3

When I’m walking on one side of a narrow footpath and come face to face with a pair of walkers coming the other way who show no signs of walking single file - happens a lot, sadly - I just stop. People won’t walk into you if you’re stationary and it does make them move over. I will never step off the footpath onto a verge/road/mud to let a pair of selfish people get past. Different if it’s a wide path with room for everyone.

Same with the people who walk straight at you with their eyes on their phones. Just stop in front of them if they’re getting too close. They soon look up!

• Like 1

I'm glad it's not just me. It's the joggers I dislike, running up close, squeezing past and all out of breathe.

Ahh, like having a full, wobbly shopping trolly and a family of 4 is coming towards you...

Cheers, Bobj.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Melbpom said:

I'm glad it's not just me. It's the joggers I dislike, running up close, squeezing past and all out of breathe.

Hate them too. Flicking their sweat at you as they pass by. Yuk..

Cyclists drive me crazy. To be fair some behave very well on shared paths, but some of them zoom past you at the speed of light, without thinking to warn you by ringing their bells. Don’t they realise that if you don’t know they are there you might step sideways and be hit?

• Like 3

103 visa application lodged February 2013. 143 visa application submitted January 2016. Police checks and form 80 submitted February 29th 2016. Visa granted April 4th 2016.

1 hour ago, Fisher1 said:

Cyclists drive me crazy. To be fair some behave very well on shared paths, but some of them zoom past you at the speed of light, without thinking to warn you by ringing their bells. Don’t they realise that if you don’t know they are there you might step sideways and be hit?

I have struggled to find a good way to pass walkers when on my bike. I used to find that the bell startled them, and they tended to jump in front of me. I tried shouting instructions, but that didn't seem to work. I now ring my bell from a distance so they no I'm coming, and then call thank you before I pass them. Seems to work.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, NickyNook said:

When I’m walking on one side of a narrow footpath and come face to face with a pair of walkers coming the other way who show no signs of walking single file - happens a lot, sadly - I just stop. People won’t walk into you if you’re stationary and it does make them move over. I will never step off the footpath onto a verge/road/mud to let a pair of selfish people get past. Different if it’s a wide path with room for everyone.

Same with the people who walk straight at you with their eyes on their phones. Just stop in front of them if they’re getting too close. They soon look up!

I do this. The amount of people who just walk up to you and then look very confused. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ramot said:

These three things happened when I went for my walk around the lake yesterday.i have to add that I am well in my 70’s, reasonably’sh  fit

The path is wide enough for 2 people who know each other to walk side by side comfortably, and dogs must be on a lead.

First a teenager came towards me with a medium sized dog on a lead. I stood to one side to let her pass, so as the lead wasn’t short enough it slobbered over my leg.i intimated that I wasn’t amused. She did apologise and I thanked her.

Next dog walker with 2 dogs, one on lead the other off lead and taking up most of the path. I said as I had to move out of the way, that both dogs should be on leads. I was told the loose dog was friendly. I replied apparently so was the dog that had knocked me out when off lead.

Then I heard a couple coming up behind me, so as I walk a bit slowly these days, I again stopped and went to the side, to let them pass, they stayed side by side taking up most of the path, so I had to go slightly up the bank.I said excuse me, but I was polite enough to move to the side but you both could have gone single file. They said we would have if we had passed you. I said but you have just have ?

So I was either feeling grumpy or I was right to say something,  I’m not sorry I spoke up. Like others who walk here we are fed up with selfish walkers, especially young mothers with pushchairs chatting away side by side taking up all the path, and don’t me get started on the illiterate dog owners who can’t read that dogs should be on leads, let them roam and deposit anywhere while the owners walk on with not a care of where their dogs have performed.

Rant over!!

Coming back from my bike ride yesterday,. Nearly home and I came to a t junction, and watched a riderless horse gallop up the road. Turned the corner and saw a two young kids early teens trying to control another horse. Not what the outcome was. But I think the kids should have had an adult with them.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fisher1 said:

A 93 year old walking on a footpath was killed by a cyclist in Burpengary Qld recently. So sad

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, newjez said:

I have struggled to find a good way to pass walkers when on my bike. I used to find that the bell startled them, and they tended to jump in front of me. I tried shouting instructions, but that didn't seem to work. I now ring my bell from a distance so they no I'm coming, and then call thank you before I pass them. Seems to work.

The cyclists on the paths here aren't too bad.  Most of them ping a bell before coming right up behind walkers and all walkers move to the left to let the bike pass.  Not so easy to hear a bell when plugged into music though.  Fast people on roller blades are worse than cyclists.

Just now, Toots said:

The cyclists on the paths here aren't too bad.  Most of them ping a bell before coming right up behind walkers and all walkers move to the left to let the bike pass.  Not so easy to hear a bell when plugged into music though.  Fast people on roller blades are worse than cyclists.

Headphones are an issue I haven't worked out how to deal with.

3 hours ago, NickyNook said:

Hate them too. Flicking their sweat at you as they pass by. Yuk..

If you can't beat them, join them.

I want it all, and I want it now.

I have noticed in some parks all the dog owners are respectful and clean up after their dogs but there are other parks quite close by where nearly all the dogowners let their doggies do their do do anywhere they like. Is it a peer group thing or a class thing? Or perhaps the polite owners all know where the better mannered people are and leave the other park for the bogans? The two parks are only about 10k apart.

Thankfully being on acreage I don’t have that problem. Although the girls get in the way sometime.

F5883899-3010-4725-A2E5-2163C136DC8B.jpeg

• Like 3

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

10 hours ago, newjez said:

Yes, that’s what works for me - when someone rings their bell at enough of a distance for me to react by shovelling my grandchildren closer to the grass verge. We always look out for bikes when we walk along the river path because little kids are so unpredictable, but a bell really helps. 

103 visa application lodged February 2013. 143 visa application submitted January 2016. Police checks and form 80 submitted February 29th 2016. Visa granted April 4th 2016.

Sounds like you were just having a bad day. Sometimes things wind you up more than they should. Going for a run on the beach path soon. Hope I don't brush too close to any grumpy old farts😉

1 hour ago, Paul1Perth said:

Sounds like you were just having a bad day. Sometimes things wind you up more than they should. Going for a run on the beach path soon. Hope I don't brush too close to any grumpy old farts😉

I guess people in WA wouldn't be fussed now as you seem to be pretty clear of the virus.    We live right on the edge of the quarantined zones and one of the things I hate is joggers making no attempt to social distance, and breathing hard in my face.  Yuk.

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

On 30/06/2020 at 03:08, ramot said:

Rant over!!

You were right 

• Like 2

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

2 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

If you were replying to me? I appreciate I suggested I might have been grumpy, but I think your description was very rude.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, ramot said:

If you were replying to me? I appreciate I suggested I might have been grumpy, but I think your description was very rude.

I took it as a joke.

• Like 1

I want it all, and I want it now.

23 hours ago, ramot said:

I meant it as a joke mate, sorry. I'm 66 and grumpy myself sometimes.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

I meant it as a joke mate, sorry. I'm 66 and grumpy myself sometimes.

Do you admit to the extra description though apart from grumpy? Thanks for reply, all good.