482 Temporary Skill Shortage visa - medical

Hello everyone,

I searched the forum and couldn’t find any results related to 482 visas?

I have been sponsored for a medical job in Sydney. I am applying for my visa and an exemption to the travel ban (as a “critical worker”) next week.

Does anyone have any idea if the average processing times for visas are still accurate? The website says 

• 75% of applications: 48 days
  • 90% of applications: 64 days

Is there a benefit in using an agent in my situation?

Thanks for your help

On 28/06/2020 at 09:08, hollygolucky said:

Hello everyone,

I searched the forum and couldn’t find any results related to 482 visas?

I have been sponsored for a medical job in Sydney. I am applying for my visa and an exemption to the travel ban (as a “critical worker”) next week.

Does anyone have any idea if the average processing times for visas are still accurate? The website says 

• 75% of applications: 48 days
  • 90% of applications: 64 days

Is there a benefit in using an agent in my situation? 

Thanks for your help

I am wondering about the processing times too. It does say on the official website that the figures 48 days and 64 days are updated 26th June 2020 for the month ending 1st May 2020. From previous applicants, the processing times were accurate and in fact much faster if your sponsor is accredited, with some doctors getting visas within days or a couple of weeks. More recently some folks are waiting well over 3 months!

2 hours ago, hollygolucky said:

Thanks for your reply Lee

My employer originally told me that the visa time can be rapid, but that was before lockdown.

I am also wondering how often exemptions are granted for doctors. 

Here are the statistics from 2nd Feb 2020 to 6th May 2020:

https://www.interstaff.com.au/exemptions-australia-covid19/

221 out of 230 under 'medical' were approved for travel exemptions. However it doesn't say if these are people with pre-existing visas. Visas seem to be excruciatingly slow at this juncture although surely it would make sense to prioritise visas for medical professionals in the middle of the pandemic.

I am not sure the best way to approach this. Perhaps apply for a travel exemption whilst the visa is sitting in the queue - would this expedite the visa processing? Any comments from others? 😀

Ah this is really helpful thank you, but disappointing that the visas are delayed. Hopefully things may speed up now lock down is easing?

I did read somewhere on a .gov site that they’re prioritising visas with exemptions.

Edited by hollygolucky

10 hours ago, hollygolucky said:

Ah this is really helpful thank you, but disappointing that the visas are delayed. Hopefully things may speed up now lock down is easing?

I did read somewhere on a .gov site that they’re prioritising visas with exemptions.

Yeah I also read something along those lines but now even onshore folks are having massive delays.... Would appreciate any comments from others who may have any news!