You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Melbpom

Any one used parcel forwarding?

I want to do some online shopping with a company that won't deliver to Australia. Just looking for a recommendation for a parcel forwarding company from UK to Australia? I've found a couple online but I've no idea if they're any good.

I’ve only used one from USA to Australia they turned out to be a real rip off. Although it was probably the different terminology that got me. I asked them to consolidate all my small packages (medical supplies) in to one, my idea was that my box of 50 dressings/plasters would go in the same box as some eye cream I bought, but no, their idea was posting both parcels out together at the same time was consolidating. So I had a huge box with a tiny tube of eye cream. I think that first order cost me $150. 
‘The second time I wasn’t going to make that same mistake but that time they got me because they said it needed hazmat handling (hand wash) and charged me a fortune. They also made you pay import duty and went off the invoices inside the box. 

Have you a family member you could send things to and then ship them over? I know hubby does that and I think Parcel Monkey costs him around $120 for a 20kg parcel (pre Covid)

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

I didn't answer this question before because I've never used parcel forwarding myself, but I must say, the only thing I've ever heard about them is that they cost a fortune.

If it's a small company, it would be worth contacting them to explain your situation and asking if they can arrange a one-off shipment. If they agree, it will be cheaper than a parcel-forwarding service (which has to make a profit over and above the shipping cost).

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

8 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

I’ve only used one from USA to Australia they turned out to be a real rip off. Although it was probably the different terminology that got me. I asked them to consolidate all my small packages (medical supplies) in to one, my idea was that my box of 50 dressings/plasters would go in the same box as some eye cream I bought, but no, their idea was posting both parcels out together at the same time was consolidating. So I had a huge box with a tiny tube of eye cream. I think that first order cost me $150. 
‘The second time I wasn’t going to make that same mistake but that time they got me because they said it needed hazmat handling (hand wash) and charged me a fortune. They also made you pay import duty and went off the invoices inside the box. 

Have you a family member you could send things to and then ship them over? I know hubby does that and I think Parcel Monkey costs him around $120 for a 20kg parcel (pre Covid)

Yes, I did a bit of internet searching and have come to the conclusion that it's quite expensive and the online sale bargains aren't bargains any more. I could ask my SIL but yeah nah.

On a more serious note, could there be a potential advertiser on PIO in this field?

3 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I didn't answer this question before because I've never used parcel forwarding myself, but I must say, the only thing I've ever heard about them is that they cost a fortune.

If it's a small company, it would be worth contacting them to explain your situation and asking if they can arrange a one-off shipment. If they agree, it will be cheaper than a parcel-forwarding service (which has to make a profit over and above the shipping cost).

I've emailed the company asking if there was a way around the shipping issue but haven't had a reply yet. The company is large with several shops that are just reopening. They do ship to Australia but they've run out of stock in the warehouses so they are shipping directly from shops but only to UK addresses. I've given up on my purchase of winter jumpers.