PARTNER VISA

Almat

Hi everyone - looking for advice.

I applied for a partner visa in March 16th.

My husband is an Aussie citizen and both our children have both British and Australian passports

We were hoping to relocate to QLD in January 2021 ready for the start of school as theyll be starting a new school then. 

i’m yet to hear from  immigration, the status still says ‘Application received.’ 

Can I still fly in January to the kids settled and the like? Then fly out and back until my visa is granted? If COVID-19 allows of course. 

has anyone been granted a partner visa from March onwards ? 

TIA

Alice

Kids in Australia move all the time and it wouldnt be unusual for a kid to be starting in Mid April if that is what their parents are doing.  Unless you have a child going into year 11 I would say dont worry about the start of the academic year,  wait until your visa has been approved.  No saying whether tourist visas will be being issued before Christmas or not.  If a kid is starting year 11 then probably send the child with dad to get settled in.

3 hours ago, Almat said:

I applied for a partner visa in March 16th.

My husband is an Aussie citizen and both our children have both British and Australian passports

We were hoping to relocate to QLD in January 2021 ready for the start of school as theyll be starting a new school then.

Can I still fly in January to the kids settled and the like? Then fly out and back until my visa is granted? If COVID-19 allows of course. 

As the partner of an Australian citizen, you can apply for an exemption to travel and get a tourist visa, but of course, that will only be for a few months - and if you only applied in March, that may not be enough time for your partner visa to come through.   That means you'll have to go home again which would not be ideal. 

As Quoll says, unless your child is at a critical point in their education, starting school in mid-term isn't the end of the world.  In fact, I'd say that would be much less disruptive than having Mum suddenly disappear a few months after you've arrived.  

Edited by Marisawright