Quarantine confusion?

Wanderer Returns

Hi, has anyone endured hotel quarantine or knows someone who has? If so, your feedback would be most appreciated.

If you arrived late in the evening, say 11pm on the 1st July, in theory your quarantine would end at 11pm on the 15th July, wouldn't it? In most cases you are unlikely to want to leave at that time unless you lived locally and could get home easily, so would you be charged for staying the (remainder of the) night of the 15th by the hotel? Or would they just let people leave on the morning of the 15th June, after they have spent 14 nights in quarantine - but not quite 14 days? Thanks in advance.

3 hours ago, Wanderer Returns said:

Hi, has anyone endured hotel quarantine or knows someone who has? If so, your feedback would be most appreciated.

If you arrived late in the evening, say 11pm on the 1st July, in theory your quarantine would end at 11pm on the 15th July, wouldn't it? In most cases you are unlikely to want to leave at that time unless you lived locally and could get home easily, so would you be charged for staying the (remainder of the) night of the 15th by the hotel? Or would they just let people leave on the morning of the 15th June, after they have spent 14 nights in quarantine - but not quite 14 days? Thanks in advance.

Excellent question, watching this topic closely as we will need to book accommodation and transport etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AliQ said:

Excellent question, watching this topic closely as we will need to book accommodation and transport etc.

Its not a normal checkout, you will be allowed to leave by the police, once they have issued you with the certificate to say you have done quarantine. The actual pon the police at that hotel.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lavers said:

I dont think that 1st night counts and it's more like the 14 days you do.

@Lavers that's more or less right. I joined a couple of FB groups earlier today and apparently the day you check in is counted as Day 1. The lady who replied to me said she arrived on the 8.25pm Qatar flight, and was really lucky to get checked in at 11.45pm. If it had been after midnight she would've needed to have done another day/night in the hotel. When you get to Day 14 you can leave at 12.01am if you like, or by 10am the following morning. It means that in total you'll only spend 13 nights in the hotel unless you're unlucky enough to check in in the early hours of the morning. @AliQ hope that helps 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Nemesis said:

Its not a normal checkout, you will be allowed to leave by the police, once they have issued you with the certificate to say you have done quarantine. The actual pon the police at that hotel.

True, and apparently they have a police person on duty 24/7 in each hotel - also there to stop deserters, in addition to providing clearance.

15 minutes ago, Wanderer Returns said:

@Lavers that's more or less right. I joined a couple of FB groups earlier today and apparently the day you check in is counted as Day 1. The lady who replied to me said she arrived on the 8.25pm Qatar flight, and was really lucky to get checked in at 11.45pm. If it had been after midnight she would've needed to have done another day/night in the hotel. When you get to Day 14 you can leave at 12.01am if you like, or by 10am the following morning. It means that in total you'll only spend 13 nights in the hotel unless you're unlucky enough to check in in the early hours of the morning. @AliQ hope that helps 🙂 

Thank you for taking the time to post this, very much appreciated .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wanderer Returns said:

True, and apparently they have a police person on duty 24/7 in each hotel - also there to stop deserters, in addition to providing clearance.

Quite right, they do. And until that officer says you can leave, you can't. So even if you want to leave in the early hours, if they won't issue the paperwork till 10am then you can't leave till then. 

I’m in quarantine at the moment - can’t say it’s the most fun I’ve had in my life...

The rules all differ state to state. In WA where I am it has to be 14 full days, which don’t start until the day after your arrival day ie day 0 doesn’t count whether you arrive at 03:00 or 23:00. I don’t think it’s necessarily the same for the Eastern states. My husband [honed the WA COVID line to get this info, so maybe you have something similar in your state?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Flossy82 said:

I’m in quarantine at the moment - can’t say it’s the most fun I’ve had in my life...

The rules all differ state to state. In WA where I am it has to be 14 full days, which don’t start until the day after your arrival day ie day 0 doesn’t count whether you arrive at 03:00 or 23:00. I don’t think it’s necessarily the same for the Eastern states. My husband [honed the WA COVID line to get this info, so maybe you have something similar in your state?

That's a drag! - Hope you get out soon 🙂

On 19/06/2020 at 23:45, Nemesis said:

Quite right, they do. And until that officer says you can leave, you can't. So even if you want to leave in the early hours, if they won't issue the paperwork till 10am then you can't leave till then. 

I've heard from a couple of people who've been through the process. They do the health screening the day before you're released, and then issue you with a wristband with the day of the week on it. It's to cut down on everyone needing to be checked at the same time in the morning, apparently.

7 hours ago, Wanderer Returns said:

I've heard from a couple of people who've been through the process. They do the health screening the day before you're released, and then issue you with a wristband with the day of the week on it. It's to cut down on everyone needing to be checked at the same time in the morning, apparently.

Depends where you re though, Neither of my friends in NSW went through that process, they both had to be issued with certificates on the day of release, one left at 8am (after being told the day before it woul be 6pm) and the other was released at lunchtime. They were in different hotels. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Nemesis said:

Depends where you re though, Neither of my friends in NSW went through that process, they both had to be issued with certificates on the day of release, one left at 8am (after being told the day before it woul be 6pm) and the other was released at lunchtime. They were in different hotels. 

Thanks - good to know. I've already booked my wife's flight up to QLD on her expected day of departure. Flight is at 2pm so hopefully it'll not be an issue. Guess we'll have to suck it and see!

The UK is going to announce today bi-lateral agreements with Spain, Italy, France, Germany and Greece from 4th July. This means no isolation or quarantine on either side of the journey.

The interesting bit in the Telegraph article was this bit -

"Ministers are examining at least one long-haul "air bridge" to Australia, although there are difficulties over transiting in stop-over countries which could carry a risk of spreading coronavirus. 

Any traveller will be expected to ensure that any stop-overs are in nations with low coronavirus rates or risk having to self-isolate on their return to the UK."

This suggests the issue with non-quarantine travel between UK and AUS is not the AUS border closure, but they ability to change flights in "safe" areas; keeping my eye on this as I may be re-booking my flights very soon (should have been leaving Heathrow tomorrow morning, but flight cancelled)

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Ausvisitor said:

"Ministers are examining at least one long-haul "air bridge" to Australia, although there are difficulties over transiting in stop-over countries which could carry a risk of spreading coronavirus. 

Any traveller will be expected to ensure that any stop-overs are in nations with low coronavirus rates or risk having to self-isolate on their return to the UK."

This suggests the issue with non-quarantine travel between UK and AUS is not the AUS border closure, but they ability to change flights in "safe" areas; keeping my eye on this as I may be re-booking my flights very soon (should have been leaving Heathrow tomorrow morning, but flight cancelled)

Most states are virtually covid-free, and they're not even opening the borders to Melburnians because we have 21 new cases today.   I can't imagine the outcry if we suddenly decide to let people in from a country that's still reporting hundreds of cases every day.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Most states are virtually covid-free, and they're not even opening the borders to Melburnians because we have 21 new cases today.   I can't imagine the outcry if we suddenly decide to let people in from a country that's still reporting hundreds of cases every day.

Totally agree.

Just because UK ministers are 'examining' the possibility of an air-bridge to Australia does not mean that their counterparts in Australia are going to agree to one. Well not until the UK's infection rate is either on a par with - or less than - Australia's, anyway. Might take years!

It's like those periodic announcements that UK politicians make that UK/Australia should have some sort of reciprocal work rights arrangement. That will never happen either - it's the last thing Australia wants or needs.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NickyNook said:

Totally agree.

Just because UK ministers are 'examining' the possibility of an air-bridge to Australia does not mean that their counterparts in Australia are going to agree to one. Well not until the UK's infection rate is either on a par with - or less than - Australia's, anyway. Might take years!

It's like those periodic announcements that UK politicians make that UK/Australia should have some sort of reciprocal work rights arrangement. That will never happen either - it's the last thing Australia wants or needs.  

QANTAS will not be flying anytime soon and has made an assumption that, on current trends, international flights may be able to re-commence sometime in mid 2021. 

Even that seems to be quite ambitious and suggests that other carriers will not be coming to Australia any time soon.

It remains to be seen whether or not the Australian economy can withstand an extended period of physical isolation from the rest of the world, Australia is better placed than most of the world when it comes to mounting a fast recovery, the OECD believes. This belief encapsulates at least 2 years of reasonably high unemployment in Australia will be followed by reasonably good progress towards economic recovery, if unemployment can be contained under 8% and if a second Covid19 wave can be avoided.

Source: https://www.businessinsider.com.au/australian-economic-recovery-covid19-oecd-forecasts-jobkeeper-2020-6

Skilled immigration tends to increase overall levels of employment or at least it boosts business confidence. This will be a conundrum for the Australian Government, over the next three years at least. 

Should we allow skilled immigration to continue at pre=Covid Levels?  I think that is also very unlikely.

Edited by Dusty Plains

18 hours ago, Dusty Plains said:

QANTAS will not be flying anytime soon and has made an assumption that, on current trends, international flights may be able to re-commence sometime in mid 2021. 

Further update

Scott Morrison has indicated  that Australia's borders will remain closed for some time. He admitted there was much "uncertainty" about when Australia's border would re-open, but said Qantas CEO Alan Joyce's estimate of a re-opening at next year at the earliest was not unreasonable.  

On 25/06/2020 at 19:57, NickyNook said:

Totally agree.

'Air-bridge to Australia' - absolutely no chance. There might have been a possibility with NZ, but that's looking unlikely given all the new cases in VIC.

If the British government spent as much time and energy implementing effective policies as they do 'examining possibilities', the country wouldn't be in the state it's in! 😄