Redundant on 482 but applying for 820

Hello helpful people of the Internet,

I think I will be made redundant in the next few weeks (currently on 482 visa) and want to apply for my 820 partner visa to ensure I can stay in the country. We have been living together with a joint bank account for more than 12 months so will apply as a defacto couple.

I am wondering if it is best to wait until I have been made redundant and then apply for the 820 or apply right away and then notify the department when I get made redundant.

The most important thing would be that I would need to be able to work and I'm afraid if I take the latter approach that I would get a BVE and then have to apply to get working rights under financial hardship.

Can anyone help?

Thank you in advance 🙂

19 minutes ago, canadianinoz said:

I think I will be made redundant in the next few weeks (currently on 482 visa) and want to apply for my 820 partner visa to ensure I can stay in the country. We have been living together with a joint bank account for more than 12 months so will apply as a defacto couple.

I am wondering if it is best to wait until I have been made redundant and then apply for the 820 or apply right away and then notify the department when I get made redundant.

The most important thing would be that I would need to be able to work and I'm afraid if I take the latter approach that I would get a BVE and then have to apply to get working rights under financial hardship.

Can anyone help?

Thank you in advance 🙂

The last thing I ever do is give visa advice as I am not an agent, but my daughter went on bridging visa E after applying for her partner visa. Different circumstances, it was a really tough time, and if possible to avoid then do. She did eventually get the work restrictions part lifted but this took several months, and it was quite a long time after that before the visa E was changed, it was a very worrying time.

Get professional advice, don’t risk making the wrong decision 

All the best

ps can you register your relationship, might help

Edited by ramot

20 hours ago, canadianinoz said:

Can anyone help?

Thank you in advance 🙂

It will depend when your 482 expires.

If your 482 is cancelled, the bridging visa A connected to the 820 will also be cancelled and you will go onto a bridging visa E with no work rights.

You can apply for work rights on the bridging visa E, but this will depend on your specific circumstances.

I suggest you obtain professional advice to understand the full implications.