RRV advice..... risky or legit

RosieH11

Hi everyone, 

My story is I have Australia PR but it will expired soon! in August 2020. I want to return more than anything but with Covid still rife Im not sure what to do .

I looked at applying for an RRV offshore but i feel I have a very slim chance of approval as i have no ties to Australia as far as i can tell. All i have is that i lived there 3 years, but only 1 of this was as a Perm Resident. I left due to my father being terminally ill, but i guess this factor wont help my case as they only require substantial ties and not a reason for leaving.

I have sought some advice from a migrant agent already. She advised me that i should apply for the RRV now and if its rejected on the basis of insufficient ties there is no clause which says i cannot apply again later and closer to the time i'm ready to move to Australia. She advised in this situation I should enter Australia on an ETA visa and work on building ties in the sense of renting a home and applying for jobs etc and then submit another RRV application with these news ties. This all sounds promising and she's assured me its a legit way and others have done this, though i'm still concerned! Has anyone here used this method to obtaining a RRV? Is it true that a RRV is always an option to someone who have held Asutralia PR at some point in life? Im worried that applying for RRV with then make my PR status expired or not obsolete 

Why can't you move now?   You hold PR, which means you don't even need to apply for permission.  Just book a flight and come.  You'll need to do two weeks quarantine when you arrive, but that's all arranged automatically, you don't even have to book that either.  It's a good time to make the move, because there are more rental properties available than usual.  

I have heard of that method of building evidence for a RRV.  The problem is, of course, that you won't be able to work while you're on the ETA, so you'll need to budget several months unpaid.  Whereas if you move before August, you may take a little while to find work due to Covid, but at least you've got the option to work.

Applying for the tourist visa won't affect your PR.  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Are you sure about that? I was explicitly warned about applying for and being granted another Australian visa whilst I'm on my PR, that the new visa would cancel the PR and that I would lose all my PR priviledges.

Edited by Canada2Australia

1 hour ago, Canada2Australia said:

Are you sure about that? I was explicitly warned about applying for and being granted another Australian visa whilst I'm on my PR, that the new visa would cancel the PR and that I would lose all my PR priviledges.

I think the actual wording is another substantive visa

7 hours ago, Canada2Australia said:

Obviously, don't apply before your current visa expires as this would be the case. But once it's expired then there is nothing to 'cancel' and you have no 'privileges' to lose. I agree with the other advice offered.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ali said:

They are allowing PR's to enter the country - are you able to do that before your current visa expires?

13 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Why can't you move now?   You hold PR, which means you don't even need to apply for permission.  Just book a flight and come.  You'll need to do two weeks quarantine when you arrive, but that's all arranged automatically, you don't even have to book that either.  It's a good time to make the move, because there are more rental properties available than usual.  

I have heard of that method of building evidence for a RRV.  The problem is, of course, that you won't be able to work while you're on the ETA, so you'll need to budget several months unpaid.  Whereas if you move before August, you may take a little while to find work due to Covid, but at least you've got the option to work.

I could come in the next couple of weeks, i'm just a huge over thinker & I worry about making the wrong decisions. 

The ban on leaving the country & no end to this in sight, if someone in my family become ill back in the UK and I couldn't get back to them, i don't know if id could ever forgive myself for leaving in the first place. I also have my partner here who might or might noT be able to come with me. Ive put in a travel exemption request for him this morning, depending on wether or not they accept might be decided factor - i keep reading stories about these requests being rejected 😞 i need to just stop reading the news i think 

This whole situation has turned me in a ball of anxiety, thanks all for replying x

Does your partner have a visa for Australia?

As Marissa says you can leave Australia you just have to apply with a genuine reason, a holiday isn’t one but visiting a seriously ill relative is.  Although if they are in hospital or care you won’t be allowed in to see them anyway currently, unless they are close to death.  

My husbands Dad is very frail and we had planned to go and see him this year but have held off.  He is in and out of hospital/care and his sister in UK cannot see him so we certainly couldn’t   

6 hours ago, rammygirl said:

Does your partner have a visa for Australia?

As Marissa says you can leave Australia you just have to apply with a genuine reason, a holiday isn’t one but visiting a seriously ill relative is.  Although if they are in hospital or care you won’t be allowed in to see them anyway currently, unless they are close to death.  

My husbands Dad is very frail and we had planned to go and see him this year but have held off.  He is in and out of hospital/care and his sister in UK cannot see him so we certainly couldn’t   

Not yet unfortunately, we were preparing to come earlier this year and apply for an onshore partner visa. We've had to apply for a 600 visitor visa for him now and put in for an exemption. Still waiting on the outcome but its only been a couple of days. fingers crossed, if they don't let him in i guess il be coming on my own!  

Yes i'm currently in the UK so very much aware of the situation around visiting sick family, we are not even allowed to visit them when they are well right now. Im sorry to hear about your Father in Law 😞 it must be very difficult. I havn't seen my mum or sisters since December. Hopefully the situation will get betting in the coming months

11 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Thankyou for sharing this, Ive been reading that a lot of people are having the request rejected though, even in extreme compassionate circumstances. I need to get of twitter and stop watching the news 🙂

1 hour ago, RosieH11 said:

, Ive been reading that a lot of people are having the request rejected though, even in extreme compassionate circumstances. I need to get of twitter and stop watching the news 🙂

Of course, you have to consider that all the people who get approved are unlikely to be tweeting about it...far more are approved than are rejected, and even the ones that are rejected are allowed to reapply:

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news/australian-border-force-travel-ban-exemptions

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1