expat equivalent of a UK SIPP

bolus

Hi, can anyone recommend an expat equivalent of a UK SIPP please? I need to transfer my old UK work pension into something decent. 

Looking for:
- low charges
- chose my own investments on UK and US equity / fund markets
- based in part of the world where I'm reasonably certain the pension will not be stolen from me before I retire. 

Thanks!

Hi there

If you are 55 or over (and permanent resident and intending to remain in OZ) you could explore a transfer to an Australian Super (QROPS).

Other than this you really do not have much choice outside of a SIPP/personal pension (if you are transferring) because if it is not an Aussie QROPS (if eligible) or a UK SIPP/personal pension then you are open to hefty HMRC penalties.

There are a few Internationally branded SIPPs in the market place (these are just UK SIPPs marketed to expats) however most of these require an Adviser based in the members country to be appointed.

In relation to other non-international SIPPs a lot of these again either require an Adviser to be appointed OR require the member to be based in the UK (or certainly not OZ).

So, from this point it will limit your choices but that's not to say it is not possible.

There may be one or two members on here that can give some of their own experience in having opened a SIPP unadvised as a UK expat in OZ.

Good luck.

Andy

Edited by Andrew from Vista Financial
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...