Temporary move to Oz with 7 year old - worth it?

vixk1

51 minutes ago, Dusty Plains said:

Once again you have incorrectly assumed that my posts were directed to you, or to any person other that the original poster. I have been suggesting the merits of living at the periphery of "major urban centres". That at least covers all the capital cities.

If you're not directing your post at me, then don't quote a post that references me..  And it's funny that after jumping down my throat when I dared suggest the OP should consider another capital city like Brisbane, you are now saying that Brisbane is great.  

Edited by Marisawright

1 hour ago, Skani said:

Actually,  population  figures for the year ending 30 June last year show that Sydney had a net loss of around 25,000 to internal Australian migration (I.e. 25,000 more people moved away from Sydney to other areas of Australia than moved in the opposite direction).  This may be partly due to large numbers of baby boomer retirees  looking for a more desirable place to live and not constrained by employment.  Melbourne had a slight positive internal migration increase but Brisbane is the most interesting one:  a third of its total population increase is due to migration from elsewhere in Australia.

An interesting  chart on this:  https://blog.id.com.au/2020/population/population-trends/migration-within-australia-strongest-out-of-sydney/

Rather than relying on a "blog" go to the Auatralian Bureau of Statistics or the Australian Census.

In short the greater Sydney area will hit 5.98 million this month (June 2020)  There has been strong and consistent growth rate from 2011 when the population of Greater Sydney was 4.025 Million. That is, in round figures, an increase in population of around 2 million or a growth of approximately 50% on 2011 population figures.

You mention an exodus of baby boomer retirees. That's me. Only some baby boomers are self funded retirees. The rest without sufficient superannuation are taking advantage of the enormous demand from people around the world to live  and work in or near Sydney.  The retirees sell their houses for a fortune then move to other parts of NSW or Australia where housing and cost of living is more affordable. Whats left from the sale of their houses in Sydney becomes their nest egg. 

This has been going on since the 1970s. My siblings and parents moved out of Sydney, to the Qld Gold Coast in the mid 1980's for the same reason.  Unlike your suggestion that baby boomers "are looking for a more desirable place to live", that has not been the case at all.  My father in particular would have come back in an instant.

Edited by Dusty Plains

14 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

If you're not directing your post at me, then don't quote a post that references me..  And it's funny that after jumping down my throat when I dared suggest the OP should consider another capital city like Brisbane, you are now saying that Brisbane is great.  

No that post was directed at you.

2 hours ago, Dusty Plains said:

Not intended as such, however my advice was aimed at the original poster and it is this: 

Yes, Sydney CAN be expensive but only because it is very desirable as a place to live. This was the part missing from previous posters.  

One of the more prominent population shifts, is the shift of rural people coming into larger urban centres, especially Sydney. These people are looking for work, good schools and greater access to health care. I am certain that there are many young families who are not prepared to endure another drought in rural Australia.

Living cheap, out in the sticks or in small and large towns does not always suit everyone all the time.  It all depends on what you are looking for and if you can gain employment to suit.

My advice is to find a happy medium. There are places to live on the periphery of major urban centres, as I have for 40 years. I am not inthe burbs but also not in the bush. The periphery has good access to schools, health care, employment opportunities as well as things to see and do, to eat and to drink, and opportunies to become involved with the locals. 

‘Yes, Sydney CAN be expensive but only because it is very desirable as a place to live’

It’s not all about the expense though, it’s still boils down to personal preference.  The people that I said weren’t keen and wouldn’t want to live didn’t even mention costs. If they had millions in the bank, one of those people does, they still wouldn’t want to live there. I did acknowledge many people love it but it’s still all about individual taste.  I’m sure it’s a great place and I look forward to visiting one day. 

Edited by Tulip1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

Yes, Sydney CAN be expensive but only because it is very desirable as a place to live. 

It’s not all about the expense though, it’s still boils down to personal preference.  The people that I said weren’t keen and wouldn’t want to live didn’t even mention costs. If they had millions in the bank, one of those people does, they still wouldn’t want to live there. I did acknowledge many people love it but it’s still all about individual taste.  I’m sure it’s a great place and I look forward to visiting one day. 

Some are more desperate than others though. Look at the link below relating to the sale of an inner city property today.  Its just crazy.what people will pay, in this case a lazy 4.6 million  for "a sh*t hole".

https://www.realestate.com.au/news/sydney-auctions-crumbling-terrace-cordoned-off-with-tape-sells-for-more-than-1-million-over-reserve/?rsf=syn:news:nca:dt:article

Edited by Dusty Plains
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dusty Plains said:

So are you saying that according to the ABS Sydney's population is on the decline, at this point in time?

My post referred quite clearly to "internal Australian migration" - complete with clarification of what that means.  🙄

The ABS chart I referred to shows capital city population changes, including from internal migration from within Oz. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Skani said:

My post referred quite clearly to "internal Australian migration" - complete with clarification of what that means.  🙄

The ABS chart I referred to shows capital city population changes, including from internal migration from within Oz. 

Thanks for that.😎

Edited by Dusty Plains