Temporary move to Oz with 7 year old - worth it?

vixk1

4 minutes ago, vixk1 said:

Yes I understand that VeryStormy but we have to start somewhere and deciding if to apply or not is where we start. Thank you for the information.

If you are just looking at a temporary move, then go for it, have an adventure whilst you are all young and healthy enough to do it, it will be way better than spending a lifetime wondering what if. My children were 3 and 8 when we moved and both settled really well and my eldest soon made lots of friends.

Leaving family is hard, but if in a couple of years you do find you miss your family too much you can head back early, there is no rule saying you can't. One way i used to think about family was ,if they had the opportunity to make the move, would they say no and scrap the idea because they wouldn't want to leave you? 

Get on the job hunt and try to find a sponsor and give it a shot. Good luck with everything and keep us all updated.

Cal x

• Like 3

Hi

I have lived and worked predominantly in Western Sydney but now retired, having put several generations through school, and subsequent tertiary education, including myself.

A couple of things. 

Sydney is where its at, these days  particularly in the west,  and will remain so for many years to come.  The NSW post-covid economy should recover quite well in the next couple years. 

Forget trying to live on the coast. Beachside suburbs are incredibly expensive and are largely populated by BMW-driving stiffs who never, ever go to the beach anyway,  or to any place west of the Sydney Harbour Bridge. They often complain that the beaches on weekends are largely populated by the hoi-polloi, namely the "westies". They are of course referring to the likes of me, as well as my friends and neighours.🙂 

Western Sydney will be transformed in the next few years as the mini city within a city will emerge along with the development of the new Airport and associated sctence and technology hub in the west that supports the new airport.  There are new transport corridors being built on the surface and underground, along with massive residential develpoment on what was the old western Sydney fringe.

Weather wise, most schools now have air conditioning,  Sydney can have hot summers but overall it is a temperate climate with a reasonably narrow temperature variation between seasons when compared to a host of other cities that endure more extreme temperature ranges. This means that is is easy to acclimatise. If you hear someone in Sydney complain about the weather it will invariably bemoan the "cold" weather in winter.

A seven year old child is generally considered to be at Stage 1 in terms of their education in NSW. Stage 1 covers kindergarten through year 1 and Year 2.

More information on Stage 1 can be found here:

https://educationstandards.nsw.edu.au/wps/portal/nesa/k-10/years/stage-1

Edited by Dusty Plains

I'm another of those who found the heat (and the cold, would you believe) in Sydney unbearable at times, but you kind of have to learn to live with it. I don't mind the heat when I'm on holiday, and don't mind the cold with good insulation and central heating, but we had neither heating nor air-con in our house, and I didn't enjoy living in either extreme particularly, although of course the climate is lovely for large parts of the year.

Our girls were little when we moved to Aus, but we moved to Scotland when eldest was 11 and youngest was 9 (so in to P7 and P5). There were a few holes in some areas of their education, and they were ahead in other areas, but it all kind of smoothed out in the end. Teachers are pretty good at sorting that stuff out.

The only thing I would caution you about, is that migrating (even temporarily) is a hugely stressful and expensive endeavour, and you should probably have some frank conversations with your partner to make sure that you're both on the same page. The stresses and strains of living in a foreign country, along with the stress of moving back, definitely contributed to my marriage going down the pan. It's not often talked about on here, that one partner can be feeling trapped in an unhappy situation, whilst the other can be living their dream life. Thankfully we moved back before we separated, but the damage was done long before then. I know you'd be on a temporary visa (we were citizens by this point), but it is still stressful and worth talking through.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LKC said:

The only thing I would caution you about, is that migrating (even temporarily) is a hugely stressful and expensive endeavour,

LKC is totally 100% correct. NEVER underestimate the stress you will encounter, and money just seems to disappear into thin air.

LKC, sorry to hear that your relationship did not survive, hope you are well and happy now.

Having said what I've said, I'd still advise you to go, life is too short to live with regrets, especially now.

• Like 4

If we were successful at finding a sponsor, I know every employee is different but what can you usually expect or ask the employee to fund. For example would they potentially pay for your flight over? Would they pay for your family's flight? Health insurance? Schooling? Or should we not expect any of that? 

1 hour ago, vixk1 said:

If we were successful at finding a sponsor, I know every employee is different but what can you usually expect or ask the employee to fund. For example would they potentially pay for your flight over? Would they pay for your family's flight? Health insurance? Schooling? Or should we not expect any of that? 

I only have experience of sponsorship for nurses, and none of what you mention is normally offered.

2 hours ago, AliQ said:

LKC is totally 100% correct. NEVER underestimate the stress you will encounter, and money just seems to disappear into thin air.

LKC, sorry to hear that your relationship did not survive, hope you are well and happy now.

Having said what I've said, I'd still advise you to go, life is too short to live with regrets, especially now.

100% agree that life is too short to live with regrets! I don't regret our time in Aus for a second, and I'd still go, even with the benefit of hindsight! It is part of my life story (and that of my kids).

AliQ - I'm happier than I've ever been, living in an amazing village, retrained for a new profession, and I've met the love of my life...Everything is good!

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, vixk1 said:

LKC I'm pleased for you. Life does have a way of working itself out.

So your kids were 9 & 11 when you returned to Scotland? How long was you in Sydney for? Where about did you live? 

Yes, it sure does have a way of sorting itself out!

We were in Sydney for almost 9 years. Sutherland Shire, more specifically Engadine area. We didn't return to Scotland, we'd been in Suffolk/Cambridgeshire before, but ex was offered a job here so we did it! Best move I've ever made! Eldest was 11, and went into last year of primary (they start a bit later here). Youngest could have jumped forward a year (birthday in mid-Feb, cut off here is end of Feb), but the council were happy for us to hold her back, so she is older than the cohort by 2 weeks.

14 hours ago, ramot said:

Can’t comment on the heat in Canberra, and don’t know how many months summer is very hot. 

it’s quite normal on the Sunshine  Coast to be out and about early in summer, or late afternoon for exercise.. If I find it too hot I actually go to the mall. A local one opens up early for people to walk laps, and it’s quite usual to stay and have a coffee. Then there’s always an air conditioned gym. 

I think it’s sad Quoll that you seem to hate living in Canberra/Australia,  apart from a travel ban at the moment, couldn’t you go to UK in our summer for at least a month or two as you have family there. We go most years as like you we have a son there and grandchildren, but I would never go for winter, far too cold for my bones.

Canberra gets the odd week of "too damned hot to do anything" and it's the lack of sleep more than anything that makes it ghastly - getting up at 2am for a cold shower and then lying there on the damp towel just so you can get to sleep (as long as the Queensland originated Koel hasnt taken up residence in the local tall gum tree) gets old very quickly. I am hoping that a good set of earplugs and decent a/c will solve all that for future summers.  Generally, though, Canberra doesnt have the relentless months of very high temperatures just the bursts of mid-high 30s for a week or so then back to 20s.

I cope with living in Canberra, of course I do, and in the scheme of things it is one of the better places to live - I admit, though, I do hate being trapped and that, for the moment, is the worst thing for me.  As long as I feel I CAN escape then I am ok (note to self, never do anything that will land me in jail!!!!).  I think this time it will be better because DH is on the same page as me - we dont have a "home" to go to in UK any more as dad's house just completed and dad is in care, but we do have a son and a grandson there so as long as the government lets us leave, we will be doing regular visits in future, all being well but we will have to change the way we do it as we wont have a base and a car ready for us.  

LOL I thought I was the only one doing laps in the mall to ensure that I close my pink ring on my iwatch!  They probably need a fast lane in the local mall otherwise laps turn into a bit of an obstacle race.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, vixk1 said:

I think that very much depends on how essential and niche your skills are.  If you are a high flyer in a corporate endeavour then, yes, you might get all the perks but if you are just another worker ant then you might get flights over and back (on the old visa, employers for temporary visa holders were responsible for ensuring that their flight home was paid - although it might have gone via Ulan Bator if that was the cheapest option).  Again, all depending on the employer, you might be able to salary sacrifice some things - ie pay for some things out of your salary before tax is taken and things like health insurance and schooling might fall into that category if you're lucky.  Still, doesnt hurt to ask if you are in a position of negotiating with a potential employer - definitely try for school fees if you are heading for NSW.

33 minutes ago, Quoll said:

Canberra gets the odd week of "too damned hot to do anything" and it's the lack of sleep more than anything that makes it ghastly - getting up at 2am for a cold shower and then lying there on the damp towel just so you can get to sleep (as long as the Queensland originated Koel hasnt taken up residence in the local tall gum tree) gets old very quickly. I am hoping that a good set of earplugs and decent a/c will solve all that for future summers.  Generally, though, Canberra doesnt have the relentless months of very high temperatures just the bursts of mid-high 30s for a week or so then back to 20s.

I cope with living in Canberra, of course I do, and in the scheme of things it is one of the better places to live - I admit, though, I do hate being trapped and that, for the moment, is the worst thing for me.  As long as I feel I CAN escape then I am ok (note to self, never do anything that will land me in jail!!!!).  I think this time it will be better because DH is on the same page as me - we dont have a "home" to go to in UK any more as dad's house just completed and dad is in care, but we do have a son and a grandson there so as long as the government lets us leave, we will be doing regular visits in future, all being well but we will have to change the way we do it as we wont have a base and a car ready for us.  

LOL I thought I was the only one doing laps in the mall to ensure that I close my pink ring on my iwatch!  They probably need a fast lane in the local mall otherwise laps turn into a bit of an obstacle race

I'm not laughing at you, @Quoll, just your statement, “getting up at 2am for a cold shower,” it reminded me of Roebourne and trying to get a cold shower at 10 pm and the water being hot enough for coffee! And trying to sleep in Wyndham, WA when it was 43 C (110F ) at midnight.

Cheers, Bobj.

Apologies for digressing, folks, as this is, in my ‘umble opinion, a rather good thread.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Quoll said:

LOL I thought I was the only one doing laps in the mall to ensure that I close my pink ring on my iwatch!  They probably need a fast lane in the local mall otherwise laps turn into a bit of an obstacle race.

Be careful on which brand A/C you select, and more important who you get to do the installation...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Quoll said:

A bit off topic so apologise in advance

Have you thought about a house swap, saves a lot of money if it works. We haven’t but it seems popular 

1 hour ago, Quoll said:

That bird used to drive me crazy!!  🤪  My husband never seemed to worry about it which for some reason made me even more cranky. 😒  I certainly hope koels don't migrate to Tasmania.  I have every sympathy for you as far as that bird goes Quoll. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, vixk1 said:

I may be wrong, but I thought that on a temporary contract, the employer is obliged to provide you with flights home at the end of the contract.  Personally, I would not contemplate moving unless they were offering flights in both directions plus a reasonable contribution towards shipping.  The costs are just too high to go it alone.  People do it, but that's because they're using the temp contract as a stepping-stone to a permanent visa, so they see it as an investment.  

I suggest you sit down and draw up a budget for the move - and don't forget to include the return journey.  Your total figure is what your advenure is going to cost you, because you'll never get that money back - and only you can decide whether it's worth it.  Don't count on being better off financially while you're in Australia, because that's unlikely if you're living in Sydney.

What to include in your budget - air fares, buying a car, insurances, holiday accommodation for four weeks while you search for a long-term rental, and shipping your belongings - or the cost of buying a whole new houseful if you don't ship.  A good exercise is to pretend you've arrived, and do a "trial shop" at an online store like https://www.harveynorman.com.au/ for furniture, whitegoods, pots and pans, bedlinen, etc etc.   It's very rare to get a furnished rental in Australia so you'll need to either buy or ship everything except the cooker.  When you leave, you'll have to sell it all again or give it away - or ship it back, which is another cost.   

If you own your own home currently, the sensible thing is to keep it and rent it out while you're away.  That may be another cost to consider - will you need to do anything to prepare the home for tenants?  Will the rent cover your mortgage?  Remember that you'll also be paying rent in Australia, which will be expensive if you're in Sydney (look at realestate.com.au to check prices). 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Gbye grey sky said:

England gets that too, to be fair.

When?  Where?  I can just about imagine that happening in the south of England on a few rare occasions during some summers.  I remember having to suppress a smile when people in Southampton moaned about not being able to sleep because it was so "humid".   They had no idea what a sticky Sydney night could be like.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

When?  Where?  I can just about imagine that happening in the south of England on a few rare occasions during some summers.  I remember having to suppress a smile when people in Southampton moaned about not being able to sleep because it was so "humid".   They had no idea what a sticky Sydney night could be like.

Its what you are used to though, which matters. I was staying with family during the UK heatwave 2 years ago, 6 people, 2 dogs, small brick house, no air con of course, just a couple of fans. Although I hate Brisbane temps I am used to them, yet that summer I suffered as much in 30 degrees as I would in 40 in Brisbane, because the whole environment is different. And they all suffered far worse than me because they just aren't used to that sort of heat.

Looking back I reckon when I first came to oz it took 3-4 years to get used to Brisbane, and longer still to actually acclimatise to it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nemesis said:

Its what you are used to though, which matters. I was staying with family during the UK heatwave 2 years ago, 6 people, 2 dogs, small brick house, no air con of course, just a couple of fans. Although I hate Brisbane temps I am used to them, yet that summer I suffered as much in 30 degrees as I would in 40 in Brisbane, because the whole environment is different. And they all suffered far worse than me because they just aren't used to that sort of heat.

Looking back I reckon when I first came to oz it took 3-4 years to get used to Brisbane, and longer still to actually acclimatise to it. 

Yes I found that too.  The houses can be stifling during very warm weather and it always feels on the humid side too.  Not as bad as Brisbane I dare say but still uncomfortable.