Temporary move to Oz with 7 year old - worth it?

vixk1

After traveling around parts of Oz a few years back my husband and I are considering applying for a temporary skilled visa and relocating from England to Australia (potentially Sydney suburbs). I understand it will still be work, school etc and not a holiday but we are just tempted to have a bit of a different adventure, while we are still young enough to apply. Our current lifestyle is lovely and we are thankful for that.

My main question is - We have a 2year old DD who would happily go wherever :) but we are just doubtful if it's really worth taking my DS 7 out of his current school and starting him at a new school in a completely different country just for 3/4 years? By the time he returns he could be moving up to secondary school and I'm concerned about reintegrating him.

A permanent move doesn't hugely appeal to me as I am very close to my family here. I'd be really grateful of any advice.

I wouldn’t be concerned about moving a 7 year old abroad for a few years. The school system in Australia, whilst different, will be on par with UK standards. In contrast, I think different situations, learning to adapt and fit in are very important life skills and so often missed these days. Lots of children are schooled in various places around the world. I went to many different schools as I my dad was in the armed forces and we moved about every few years. Didn’t do me any harm nor anyone I know any harm. I wouldn’t change my childhood for the world and feel it was a positive thing. How could living in one place and going to the school up the road all your childhood be better than experiencing different cultures, systems and different social interaction. I’m not saying staying put is worse, either is just fine. Do it if you want to, 7 year olds have to go where their parents go. 

• Like 4

I’d agree with Tulip1. Chances are 7year olds are going to cope wherever they are. U.K. schools are reportedly (from returnees) very good at helping kids catch up because Aus does tend to be a bit behind with its later starting ages and less focus on rigorous learning in early years.  Be aware though that in some states (and NSW is one of them) school education for temporary visa holders is not free (over $5k pa per child) so factor that into the financial equation.

• Like 1

A third vote to say that if you want to have an adventure, then the best time is when your child is in primary school.   Once they get into secondary school, then moving from country to country becomes disruptive, so you need to grab your chance now!

It's not easy to find an employer willing to sponsor these days, so you'll need patience.  Good luck with it.

• Like 1

Thank you for your responses.

Please keep opinions coming in. 

When we travelled it was a few years ago and not in the peak of summer. Is it true that it often too hot to even go outside? Obviously I'm looking specifically at NSW area. How do schools keep the children cool during the summer?

1 hour ago, vixk1 said:

When we travelled it was a few years ago and not in the peak of summer. Is it true that it often too hot to even go outside? Obviously I'm looking specifically at NSW area. How do schools keep the children cool during the summer?

Many Brits move to Australia because they love hot weather, so you'll find plenty of people on these forums who'll say, "no, of course it's not too hot to go outside, it's gorgeous!"  But it is a very individual thing.  

I'm one of those who finds summer in Sydney intolerable - not so much because of the heat, as the humidity.  I've been to Adelaide (which has a dry heat) and happily gone shopping in 40 degrees C - but put me in Sydney at 28 degrees and I'm a moist, helpless puddle.    If you're rich enough to live in a beach suburb (as I did for the first 20 years I lived there), you get cooling breezes that make all the difference.  Unfortunately I got to the point where I couldn't afford it, which meant moving further inland - and the further from the coast you go, the more humid it gets. That meant I was pretty uncomfortable in Sydney from late December through to the end of March. But like I say, it's a very individual thing - only you know how you feel on a hot, sticky day.

Schools have shade cloths over the playgrounds and the children wear hats.  They're not so much worried about the heat (which kids cope with), as the sun. As you probably know, Australian adults have a very high rate of skin cancer, and it's exposure in early childhood that causes it, so primary schools are very careful to keep children in the shade.  If you look up the World Health Organization website, you'll find guidance on what precautions to take at different levels.  The UV never gets much above 8 in the UK, but in Sydney, it's 11 to 14 for much of the year. 

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 2

I've lived in Sydney for over 40 years now. My kids were born and went to school here. 

I can probably count on one hand the number of times it has been too hot to go out in the summer. I'm not denying that it can get hot but it's never too bad close to the coast. You get used to warm weather and do your energetic stuff early or late in the day. We had no air-conditioning for the first 30 years and managed just fine with fans.

Kids are on school holidays for the hottest months of summer. I can't remember my children ever complaining it was too hot at school, you certainly see kids running around in school playgrounds whatever the weather.

• Like 2

In Australia I've tended to notice on the hottest days of summer that shopping centres and cinemas are very busy (or people stay home). It seems counter-intuitive, but its similar (and opposite) to the UK where shopping centres and cinemas are very busy on the wettest, coldest days of winter (or people stay home). Yes it gets a bit hot sometimes but people adjust and can hide in the aircon for a month or two, much like you can hide indoors with the heating on in the UK during the coldest winter months. As marissa says, humidity is the killer and I personally wouldn't consider renting anywhere in Sydney without aircon as it makes summer nights so much more pleasant/bearable.

• Like 2

I'm one of those who find the heat unbearable - I find it nigh on impossible to exercise in it and if I want to get my walk in I need to leave home before 6am.  My very fair skinned granddaughters dont go out in the sun - well, not in the heat of the midday sun along with all the other mad dogs and Englishmen (sorry).  They dont play in the garden and only at our suggestion do they head off to a playground - when they visited us in UK they were over the moon with picnics on the grass in the garden, rolling on the grass, making daisy chains, etc.  They do go out in the winter, rugged up to the nines though.  Our malls are full in the summer heat and as I have got older, air conditioning is definitely on my list of "I will not live without it" for the next summer coming.  The DH used to fight every suggestion that we get a/c but now he's lived in UK for a few years he has relented and says that we will have it before next summer.  On the coast it is a bit better but, as has been said, it's the sun that's the issue.  My own kids were outside in it more and my eldest now needs regular skin checks because he is naturally a moley kind of person.  Make one mistake as a parent with your spf 30 on the kids and you live in fear for the rest of their lives!  If you enjoy feeling the sweat roll out of every pore, you'll be fine!

Edited by Quoll
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Quoll said:

I'm one of those who find the heat unbearable - I find it nigh on impossible to exercise in it and if I want to get my walk in I need to leave home before 6am.  My very fair skinned granddaughters dont go out in the sun - well, not in the heat of the midday sun along with all the other mad dogs and Englishmen (sorry).  They dont play in the garden and only at our suggestion do they head off to a playground - when they visited us in UK they were over the moon with picnics on the grass in the garden, rolling on the grass, making daisy chains, etc.  They do go out in the winter, rugged up to the nines though.  Our malls are full in the summer heat and as I have got older, air conditioning is definitely on my list of "I will not live without it" for the next summer coming.  The DH used to fight every suggestion that we get a/c but now he's lived in UK for a few years he has relented and says that we will have it before next summer.  On the coast it is a bit better but, as has been said, it's the sun that's the issue.  My own kids were outside in it more and my eldest now needs regular skin checks because he is naturally a moley kind of person.  Make one mistake as a parent with your spf 30 on the kids and you live in fear for the rest of their lives!  If you enjoy feeling the sweat roll out of every pore, you'll be fine!

Lets face it though, Quoll, you find Australia unbearable, fullstop!

As you are fond of recounting.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Quoll said:

Yes but that heat isn't all the year round unless you live in Darwin.  As far as a/c goes yes, most houses do need it just the same as most houses in the UK need central heating but of course not all year long.

One thing I was negative about when my two were at school was the heat in the classrooms during the summer.  They got bloody hot even with ceiling fans.  The kids must have been used to it as it never seemed to bother them but I thought they were far too hot and uncomfortable.  My boys were outdoor kids all year long.  Heat or cold also never bothered them BUT they were careful not to get sun burned.  Neither of them is particularly fair skinned and they never burned.  One of them is now in New York and he reckons New York during summer (outside) is worse than Sydney and far, far colder during winter.

2 minutes ago, Toots said:

Yes but that heat isn't all the year round unless you live in Darwin.  As far as a/c goes yes, most houses do need it just the same as most houses in the UK need central heating but of course not all year long.

One thing I was negative about when my two were at school was the heat in the classrooms during the summer.  They got bloody hot even with ceiling fans.  The kids must have been used to it as it never seemed to bother them but I thought they were far too hot and uncomfortable.  My boys were outdoor kids all year long.  Heat or cold also never bothered them BUT they were careful not to get sun burned.  Neither of them is particularly fair skinned and they never burned.  One of them is now in New York and he reckons New York during summer (outside) is worse than Sydney and far, far colder during winter.

Yup we get 4 seasons in Canberra.  Next summer we will be air-conditioned!!!  Yes schools can be oppressively hot in the summer, especially when crammed full of sweaty little people.  I think there is a closure temperature in departmental regulations but I dont recall schools every closing because the temperature got above the magical number. 

38 minutes ago, Gbye grey sky said:

Lets face it though, Quoll, you find Australia unbearable, fullstop!

As you are fond of recounting.

Very true!  Still looking to find something that makes it bearable though as it looks as if we are back here for ever now (unless we win the lottery of course in which case there might be some negotiation going on). You must agree I have given it a good go though, been all over, done loads of stuff but meh!  At least next summer I will be able to relax in air conditioned comfort after more than 4 decades of not having it! That might make it marginally more bearable of course, I live in hopes.

• Like 3

Can’t comment on the heat in Canberra, and don’t know how many months summer is very hot. 

it’s quite normal on the Sunshine  Coast to be out and about early in summer, or late afternoon for exercise.. If I find it too hot I actually go to the mall. A local one opens up early for people to walk laps, and it’s quite usual to stay and have a coffee. Then there’s always an air conditioned gym. 

I think it’s sad Quoll that you seem to hate living in Canberra/Australia,  apart from a travel ban at the moment, couldn’t you go to UK in our summer for at least a month or two as you have family there. We go most years as like you we have a son there and grandchildren, but I would never go for winter, far too cold for my bones.

Edited by ramot
  • Like 2

vixk1 is potentially moving to Sydney so heating during winter and a/c during summer is highly recommended by me.  She has already said the move won't be permanent as she is very close to her family.  Might as well be comfortable whilst here.  😉

• Like 4

We moved our daughter loads when she was little:

• 3-5 nursery in south england
  • 5-7 school in Derbyshire
  • 7-9 school in USA
  • 9-11 school in Canada
  • 11-16 school in Staffordshire
  • 16-18 6th Form College

She has a ton of friends (and still in contact with some of the Canadians she went to school with 7 years ago) and integrated easily back into the UK - the schools bent over backwards for her.

Despite all the changes she got 12 grade 9's at GCSE and so long as the "self-assessed" A-Levels go as planned this year she is on course for 4 A* at A Level and a place waiting at Cambridge.

She herself says that having been to loads of different places is so much cooler than having been in the same school since birth.

Kids are resilient - they adjust to anything you throw at them. I'd be tempted to try and keep them "in one place" once hormones kick-in as separation from bf/gf/best friends (even though they chop and change these all the time themselves)  is a much bigger issue for teenagers than changing teachers

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, vixk1 said:

We just can't seem to decide what to do for the best. It's so frustrating.

I feel like you're focussing your worries on your child, when in fact he'll be absolutely fine.   I'd say your biggest concern is how you'll cope being separated from family for that length of time.  It doesn't sound too bad when you say "it's only 4 years" but if you're lonely, that can feel like an absolute eternity.

I lived in Sydney for 30 years and although I will always think of it as "home", it can also be quite difficult to make connections.   I think it's a pretty normal thing in most big cities around the world - the bigger the city, the more people keep to themselves.  I've made more friends in Melbourne in 4 years than I ever did in Sydney!   You maynot have a choice of city, depending on what you and your husband do for a living, but personally I'd be looking at one of the other cities if possible - or even better, one of the regional centres, where you have a better chance of having the dream Australian beachside experience (and people are much friendlier).  

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

I think you are right Marisawright, I just don't want to cause a negative impact on their life for our sake, it feels like such a risk. 

I really appreciate your advice. Seeing as you have spent many years in Sydney, could you recommend a suburb that might be a bit easier to make friends?

Kind regards

26 minutes ago, vixk1 said:

I think you are right Marisawright, I just don't want to cause a negative impact on their life for our sake, it feels like such a risk. 

I really appreciate your advice. Seeing as you have spent many years in Sydney, could you recommend a suburb that might be a bit easier to make friends?

Kind regards

It is all academic until you have a visa. You can’t just apply for a temporary visa. You need an employer to sponsor it.

That was very tough before the pandemic (the rule changes made have dramatically cut the number of employers willing to) Now, in the times of COVID with high unemployment and one of the criteria being an employer has to establish there are no local candidates 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, VERYSTORMY said:

It is all academic until you have a visa. You can’t just apply for a temporary visa. You need an employer to sponsor it.

That was very tough before the pandemic (the rule changes made have dramatically cut the number of employers willing to) Now, in the times of COVID with high unemployment and one of the criteria being an employer has to establish there are no local candidates 

Very good point. Taking a 7 year old along for the ride is the easy bit. 

Edited by Tulip1