Secondary Teacher Help

1 hour ago, wrussell said:

Do not take migration advice from a party who is not a registered migration agent.

I’ve had friends go through this company before. Some knew people that got placement after. I would ideally like a permanent visa but it seems to be tricky for teachers at the moment.

1 hour ago, LostInCuba said:

I’ve had friends go through this company before. Some knew people that got placement after. I would ideally like a permanent visa but it seems to be tricky for teachers at the moment.

It has been tricky for some time. Some states are now requiring a job offer, and the fact is that there is NO way you're going to get a job offer unless you're already registered to teach and already in the country.   So I'd say the WHV is definitely your best chance.

On 20/06/2020 at 23:06, Marisawright said:

It has been tricky for some time. Some states are now requiring a job offer, and the fact is that there is NO way you're going to get a job offer unless you're already registered to teach and already in the country.   So I'd say the WHV is definitely your best chance.

That seems to be what I am going towards. I have a question, if I am living in say Brisbane for example on my working holiday visa but I decide to apply for a 491 visa while I am there, am I allowed to do this since I am not living in a regional area of Australia. I know that if I get approved for the visa I would need to move to the Gold Coast or Sunshine Coast for example but I am unsure if I have to already be living there when I apply? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/06/2020 at 23:06, Marisawright said:

Marisawright: I have applied to the Queensland College of Teachers from the United States. I am a secondary Math teacher. If I am successful in my registration, here is my question for you.

In reference to your post which I quoted above, do you feel math is an area in Queensland where there could be enough demand to make an offer to a teacher offshore and agree to sponsor under the TSS 482?

In the media, there are articles that refer to math as a shortage area and even mention that Australian schools do recruit teachers from overseas so I get confused because I have read both perspectives.

Anyway...any insight would be appreciated. I can always enter the country as a university student and complete another degree but it is an additional and very huge expense to take the university route.

5 hours ago, westwoodwizard said:

Marisawright: I have applied to the Queensland College of Teachers from the United States. I am a secondary Math teacher. If I am successful in my registration, here is my question for you.

In reference to your post which I quoted above, do you feel math is an area in Queensland where there could be enough demand to make an offer to a teacher offshore and agree to sponsor under the TSS 482?

In the media, there are articles that refer to math as a shortage area and even mention that Australian schools do recruit teachers from overseas so I get confused because I have read both perspectives.

Anyway...any insight would be appreciated. I can always enter the country as a university student and complete another degree but it is an additional and very huge expense to take the university route.

Currently, temporary visa holders can’t enter the country and that is likely to be the case until mid 2021. Public schools do not sponsor 482. You would have to target private schools directly but as I said, no point until it’s possible to enter the country 

In 1992 I saw a notice in an overseas mission that Australia was sponsoring mathematics teachers. I am an Australian citizen by birth (5th generation) and at the time I held BA (statistics) BSc (science) PhD (QED) BEd (mathematics curriculum studies) and I had 5+ years of satisfactory secondary teaching experience in Australia. I wen to the (then) Commonwealth Employment Service in Sydney and let them know I was prepared to go anywhere in Australia and I was told:

We do not manage teachers. Contact an Education Department.

Dont' believe everything you see written on embassy walls .

Fill out the first page of this form and I shall put you on benefits.

It might be a good idea to contact Cath Ed, unless you are a born again atheist. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

Edited by wrussell
typo

6 hours ago, westwoodwizard said:

I wonder why you would go for a 482 visa.  It's only a temporary visa with the possibility that you might, if your employer is willing and if the rules haven't changed, be able to apply for the possibility of gaining a permanent visa.   Its predecessor, the 457, used to be popular as a pathway to permanent residence years ago, but even then there was a high failure right - now, I would not recommend you try it, especially as a teacher.  There's a good chance that by the time you were eligible to apply for a permanent visa, teachers wouldn't even be on the list of eligible occupations.

On 03/07/2020 at 08:04, Marisawright said:

Currently, temporary visa holders can’t enter the country and that is likely to be the case until mid 2021. Public schools do not sponsor 482. You would have to target private schools directly but as I said, no point until it’s possible to enter the country 

I’m in a public school on a 482 visa. 

• 10 months later...
On 10/07/2020 at 06:00, Lambert said:

Yeah applied from overseas directly with the Education Queensland. They do promise you the world and when you get here take it all back though 

Hi,

can I ask how you applied with education Queensland? Are you from the U.K. and did you miss out on AITSL etc all together? 
Thanks!