Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Toots

The Slave Trade and removal of statues

Recommended Posts

Now been removed by Bristol city council 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Rallyman said:

Your in full support of this statue being erected ? 

Did I say that!?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/07/2020 at 21:55, BacktoDemocracy said:

Did I say that!?

Say what ? 
I asked a question 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/7/2020 at 00:55, Rallyman said:

Your in full support of this statue being erected ? 

 

On 16/7/2020 at 12:55, BacktoDemocracy said:

Did I say that!?

 

9 hours ago, Rallyman said:

Say what ? 
I asked a question 

 

On 15/7/2020 at 14:13, BacktoDemocracy said:

Here's a new twist

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/15/edward-colston-statue-replaced-by-sculpture-of-black-lives-matter-protester

Now whose going to pull this one down,  I notice the holding down bolts are designed to withstand a fair old pull.

Above is what I said, but you seem to interpret that as approval?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

 

 

 

Above is what I said, but you seem to interpret that as approval?

I didn’t interpret it either way hence the question asked . 

A simple yes or no would have sufficed 

 

Edited by Rallyman
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rallyman said:

I didn’t interpret it either way hence the question asked . 

A simple yes or no would have sufficed 

 

Why would I have an opinion, pulling it down and raising another seems to completely trivialise the issue and simply polarises opinion, what it does is highlight the intransigence of both sides and highlights how lacking in ability our govt, at all levels, is to hear dissent preferring to maintain the status quo for fear of offending someone, anyone.

Imagine if the Council had actually said," yes we know there has been a lot of offence caused to a section of our Bristol citizens by a statue commemorating a man who traded in human beings like they were horses and we commit to removing him from from the streets of the city, because we do not want our city to be associated with that trade". The whole point of that protest would have disappeared like a popped balloon, but the Councillors and Aldermen didn't, why.  

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/07/2020 at 12:35, BacktoDemocracy said:

That Brits are an amalgam of many races, their are no pure bred brits, we are all immigrants, from the Gauls and Romans, the Normans, the Dutch, right up to the Hugenots, thro the asians and Caribbeans and now our govt needs some new cheap labour for their business mates, a million or so from Hong Kong should do it.

In that.

"

Census data shows that in 1851 the UK had a very small foreign-born population, with just 100,000 people (1.5% of the population) born overseas. By 1951 this figure had reached 4.3% of the population.

More recently, from 2004 until 2018, the non-UK born share of the population jumped from 9% to more than 14% (see ONS statistics for the UK).

The suggestion that ’Britain is a nation of immigrants’ may have been borrowed from American political discourse but is inappropriate as a description of the UK.

Since the Norman conquest, Britain has grown and changed with waves of invasion, war, and some occasional examples of immigration. Previous cases of immigration to the UK have been small-scale and single waves. For example, the Huguenots who came to Britain from France at a rate of around 1,000 per year over the course of 40-50 years. This is obviously different from the historically unprecedented level of net migration which we have experienced recently – immigration levels tripled in just two years from 1997 onwards and net migration has averaged about 250,000 (the size of a small city) every year over the past decade."

https://www.migrationwatchuk.org/briefing-paper/269/skewering-those-zombie-facts--20-bogus-arguments-for-mass-immigration

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, simmo said:

In that.

"

Census data shows that in 1851 the UK had a very small foreign-born population, with just 100,000 people (1.5% of the population) born overseas. By 1951 this figure had reached 4.3% of the population.

More recently, from 2004 until 2018, the non-UK born share of the population jumped from 9% to more than 14% (see ONS statistics for the UK).

The suggestion that ’Britain is a nation of immigrants’ may have been borrowed from American political discourse but is inappropriate as a description of the UK.

Since the Norman conquest, Britain has grown and changed with waves of invasion, war, and some occasional examples of immigration. Previous cases of immigration to the UK have been small-scale and single waves. For example, the Huguenots who came to Britain from France at a rate of around 1,000 per year over the course of 40-50 years. This is obviously different from the historically unprecedented level of net migration which we have experienced recently – immigration levels tripled in just two years from 1997 onwards and net migration has averaged about 250,000 (the size of a small city) every year over the past decade."

https://www.migrationwatchuk.org/briefing-paper/269/skewering-those-zombie-facts--20-bogus-arguments-for-mass-immigration

For goodness sake, do a bit of research. Migrationwatch print their own contentious statistics, their was no ethnic origin question in 1851, the point is that from the Norman invasion and the previous Nordic invaders, the UK Celts were diluted by invaders and subsequent immigrants from, Germany, France and the Dutch, both of whom provided armies to English kings, there was also at different times waves of religous refugees from the continent,  Pepys and Johnson and Shakespear mention the numbers of 'blackmen' in service in gentry's houses in London.

So relying on the census as a mainstay for another conspiracy theory is a bit tendentious 

Quote

The UK 1851 Census

Each householder was required to complete a census schedule giving the address of the household, the names, ages, sex, occupations and places of birth of each individual residing in his or her accommodation.

In 1851, householders were asked to give more precise details of the places of birth of each resident, to state their relationship to him or her, marital status and the nature of any disabilities from which they may have suffered.

End

The Hugenots came in waves over 2 centuries or more and were followed in the 19th by waves of Jewish refugees from Russia, the continent and central Europe

To put the hugenot immigration of around 3-7,000 per year into perspective the pop. In 1811 was 18 million, with around 1.5 million in London

But if racial purity is the prize and to make todays immigration appear catastrophic then Migrationwatch are doing what they set out to do, increase peoples antipathy towards anyone different to them and make migration a scary thing.

Funny though, all those migrants then and now contributed to boosting our economy  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, simmo said:

Brixton yesterday.Black-Lives-Matter-1317507.jpeg20200802_070015.jpeg

WTF?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

WTF?

 

5 hours ago, simmo said:

Brixton yesterday.Black-Lives-Matter-1317507.jpeg20200802_070015.jpeg

https://www.standard.co.uk › london

Met Police thank Brixton demonstrators for peaceful African Emancipation Day rally after only three arrests | London Evening Standard

14 hours ago · Most protesters stuck to the curfew and after the event drew to a close, the force thanked attendees for their peaceful protesting. Recent rallies in the capital had turned violent with police ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tulip1 said:

WTF?

I think this may be the African Emancipation March which takes place on 1st August each year to mark the passing of the 1833 Abolition of Slavery Act? As well as a march there are speeches, music and a 3 minute silence. The only media reference I saw yesterday was a headline where the Met Police thanked the hundreds of participants for a peaceful demonstration. T x 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, tea4too said:

I think this may be the African Emancipation March which takes place on 1st August each year to mark the passing of the 1833 Abolition of Slavery Act? As well as a march there are speeches, music and a 3 minute silence. The only media reference I saw yesterday was a headline where the Met Police thanked the hundreds of participants for a peaceful demonstration. T x 

I would never put any credence on either the media or the met police.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I couldn't quite make it out as the audio isn't great but I think it was something about no justice - no peas ?  and fank the police? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tea4too said:

I think this may be the African Emancipation March which takes place on 1st August each year to mark the passing of the 1833 Abolition of Slavery Act? As well as a march there are speeches, music and a 3 minute silence. The only media reference I saw yesterday was a headline where the Met Police thanked the hundreds of participants for a peaceful demonstration. T x 

The news does say it was largely peaceful which is good to hear although there was a small amount of arrests for assaults on the police. It certainly wasn’t a socially distanced event but little the police can do about that if people chose to ignore what the government asks. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

 

https://www.standard.co.uk › london

Met Police thank Brixton demonstrators for peaceful African Emancipation Day rally after only three arrests | London Evening Standard

14 hours ago · Most protesters stuck to the curfew and after the event drew to a close, the force thanked attendees for their peaceful protesting. Recent rallies in the capital had turned violent with police ...

Well they have to be seen to say the ‘right thing’  I look at that and think....people getting married are only allowed 6 guests at their wedding and that’s outside.  For what to many is the most important day of their life, they have to abide by that strict restriction and that’s the right thing to do in these times. However, all these people can turn out together and it’s ok. They even get a thanks from the Met for ‘mainly’ behaving even though crowds of that size is not allowed right now 🤔 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

Well they have to be seen to say the ‘right thing’  I look at that and think....people getting married are only allowed 6 guests at their wedding and that’s outside.  For what to many is the most important day of their life, they have to abide by that strict restriction and that’s the right thing to do in these times. However, all these people can turn out together and it’s ok. They even get a thanks from the Met for ‘mainly’ behaving even though crowds of that size is not allowed right now 🤔 

 

Very strange they needed to dress like a paramilitary organisation, reminding me of how IRA would be on news. 
Thought it was a celebration? 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, simmo said:

I would never put any credence on either the media or the met police.

What did guy Fawkes make up about it?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

the force thanked attendees for their peaceful protesting.  ...

The police force or the FF force.?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Rallyman said:

Very strange they needed to dress like a paramilitary organisation, reminding me of how IRA would be on news. 
Thought it was a celebration? 

I agree. Imagine being a local white person seeing and hearing that. The fear and intimidation must be terrible.  It's no wonder we have the mass white exodus in parts of London.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, simmo said:

I agree. Imagine being a local white person seeing and hearing that. The fear and intimidation must be terrible.  It's no wonder we have the mass white exodus in parts of London.

There seems to be white people marching, and quite a few watching. They don't look that bothered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Rallyman said:

Very strange they needed to dress like a paramilitary organisation, reminding me of how IRA would be on news. 
Thought it was a celebration? 

I hadn't heard of them before, but they seem to be an organisation a bit like the new York guardian angels.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://freedomnews.org.uk/liberation-and-reparation-witness-account-from-afrikan-emancipation-day-reparations-march/&ved=2ahUKEwiS_bTZuv_qAhUFZMAKHco-AN8QFjAHegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw1fQ1CrxYG1lrLBzN92bjEw&cshid=1596472511946

Nothing threatening about that. I would have thought people would have applauded attempts to reduce knife crime.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×