APHRA/ANMAC

Maria18

Hello

I am so confused right now and just wondering if anyone can shed some light for me!

I have been informed my first step in the visa process is to apply for registration with APHRA. I have paid and proceeded to build a profile and am now waiting to hear if I can go ahead an 'apply'. (I am a qualified Mental Health Nurse). I was informed that registration was needed before a skills assessment, and that skills assessment is the second step in the process. 

I have just been having a look online reading about ANMAC skills assessment, and it states on the website that as long as you have registration in the UK (Which I do), that you can begin a skills assessment.

Does anyone know if this is right?

Thank you in advance

Yes, you can do it either way.  If you have registration in Australia you can apply for a modified skills assessment.   There's nothing stopping you applying now to ANMAC for the full skills assessment.

Thank you.

I have since found out that I will need to visit Australia to obtain my pin so I have decided to ask APHRA if they can put my application on hold for now, as that is not an option for me in the next 3 months.

I have decided to go ahead with the ANMAC skills assessment, but my migration case worker seems quite clueless about the next steps (I'm applying for a refund and to cancel). Do you know what assessment I will need to do without APHRA? The visa I am applying for is the 190. There are 3 different exams to do and I am unsure if it's the academic or general one I need to book in for (Looking at Septemeber to do this as long as everything is ok with the current situation). 

35 minutes ago, Maria18 said:

Thank you.

I have since found out that I will need to visit Australia to obtain my pin so I have decided to ask APHRA if they can put my application on hold for now, as that is not an option for me in the next 3 months.

I have decided to go ahead with the ANMAC skills assessment, but my migration case worker seems quite clueless about the next steps (I'm applying for a refund and to cancel). Do you know what assessment I will need to do without APHRA? The visa I am applying for is the 190. There are 3 different exams to do and I am unsure if it's the academic or general one I need to book in for (Looking at Septemeber to do this as long as everything is ok with the current situation). 

If you're talking about the ielts it will be the academic one

• 2 weeks later...

I’m not sure you do need the academic IELTS. In fact as you’re form the UK you might not need IELTS, if it’s not necessary for you point wise.

I’m a doctor and wasn’t initially going to do it as it isn’t necessary (GCSE English was sufficient) But did in the end to bolster my points up for a (hopefully) quicker process. And I only did the general IELTS.

Surely your Migration Agent should know what is needed?? I f not, I’d say you need to get a new one....

On 10/06/2020 at 21:22, Maria18 said:

Thank you.

You will need the full skills assessment from ANMAC 

Home

Australian Nursing & Midwifery Accreditation Council

You are here

Frequently Asked Questions

BEFORE YOU APPLY FOR A SKILLS ASSESSMENT

ENGLISH LANGUAGE TEST

MODIFIED SKILLS ASSESSMENT APPLICANTS

If you are applying for a modified skills assessment you do not need to provide English language test results. This means you are registered with:

MODIFIED PLUS SKILLS ASSESSMENT

If you are applying for a Modified PLUS Skills Assessment you do not need to provide English language test results. This means you have a 'Notice of in principle approval of registration subject to proof of identity' letter from: 

FULL SKILLS ASSESSMENT APPLICATIONS

All internationally-qualified nurses and midwives without Australian or New Zealand registration (regardless of country of birth) have to provide English language test results.

Australia’s official language is English and it is important that healthcare professionals working here are proficient in English (reading, speaking, writing and listening). This enables nurses and midwives to communicate competently and safely with patients and their families, colleagues and other health professionals.

We accept successful completion of:

1. International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic test.
    Applicants must achieve a minimum overall score of 7 and a minimum score of 7 in each of the 4 components - listening, reading, writing and speaking.
    ANMAC only accept test results from one test sitting OR a maximum of two test sittings, in a six-month period only if the applicant achieves: 
    a) a minimum overall score of 7 in each sitting 
    AND
    b) no score in any component of the test is below 6.5
  2. Occupational English Test (OET) for nurses.
    Applicants must achieve a minimum score of B in each of the 4 components - listening, reading, writing and speaking. 
    ANMAC only accept test results from 1 test sitting OR a maximum of 2 test sittings, in a 6 month period only if the applicant:
    a) is tested in all 4 components in each sitting 
    AND
    b) no score in any component of the test is below C
  3. Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic. 
    Applicants must achieve a minimum overall score of 65 AND a minimum score of 65 in each of the 4 communicative skills - listening, reading, writing and speaking.
    ANMAC only accept test results from 1 test sitting OR a maximum of 2 test sittings, in a 6 month period only if the applicant achieves: 
    a) a minimum overall score of 65 in each sitting
    AND
    b) no score in any of the four communicative skills is below 58
  4. Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) iBT.
    Applicants must achieve a minimum total score of 94 AND the following minimum score in each section of the test - 24 listening, 24 reading, 27 writing, 23 speaking 
    ANMAC only accept test results from 1 test sitting, OR a maximum of 2 test sittings in a 6 month period only if the applicant achieves: 
    a) a minimum total score of 94 in each sitting 
    AND
    b) no score in any of the sections is below - 20 listening, 19 reading, 24 writing, 20 speaking 

ANMAC accepts test results that are up to 2 years old. You only have to pass 1 of these tests, not all of them. Scores from 2 different tests cannot be combined. 

These are currently the only language tests that ANMAC accepts. Any changes to this will be published on the website.

Subscribe for the latest updates

Email Address *

CONTACT US

ANMAC

Contact Us

+61 2 6257 7960

Level 1, 15 Lancaster Place
Majura Park
Canberra Airport ACT 2609

ABN: 91 021 040 318
ACN: 143879396

© Copyright 2016

• Go to the Australian College of Midwives home page
  • ACN-Primary-Acronym-Logo-Horizontal.png?
  • Go to the Australian Nursing Midwifery Federation home page
  • Go to the Congress of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Nurses and Midwives home page
  • Go to the Welcome to the Council of Deans of Nursing and Midwifery home page
  • CONTENT BY

Clarity communications
  • WEBSITE BY

Oxide interactive