482 Visa Without Assessment

Hi Everyone, 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 
We are currently looking at a 482 Visa mid - long term for a 261313 job Role. 

My partner has 10 years experience in computer development, and while he holds a diploma it’s not in computing. 

I’m wondering if we manage to find a job that will sponsor him will he still need to go through the ACS skilled assessment? 

I also understand that with sponsorship you’re tied into a contact to work for an employer for an amount of time does anyone know how long this is? 

I’m also trying to see if there are regions we cannot work in as on the 491 visa I know you can’t work in big cities (which is where the work would be for us) 

Sorry for all the questions, I’m getting a fried brain! 

Thank you. 

5 hours ago, FelicityS said:

We are currently looking at a 482 Visa mid - long term for a 261313 job Role. 

...I also understand that with sponsorship you’re tied into a contact to work for an employer for an amount of time does anyone know how long this is? 

It depends on what the employer hires you for.  It's either 2 or 4 years, with the possibility of renewal.  You are 100% tied to that employer.  If your partner quits or the business goes bust or he's made redundant, you have to go home.  You can stay IF you can find another employer to sponsor you, but it's not wise to bank on it - sponsorship is so complex and expensive nowadays, many employers won't do it unless they're really struggling to find a local candidate. Some big employers have strict policies of not sponsoring below a certain pay grade.

For a couple with no kids or if your kids are young enough, this kind of visa is a good option - you get to experience Australia for a few years, with your air fares paid and a job to come to.  You rent out your home in the UK while you're away, so when you get home you can settle back into your old life with some great memories.

The problem is that a lot of people think the 482 is a reliable gateway to getting PR (a permanent visa).  Years ago that was true, but now It's not.  Once you've been in the job for a certain length of time, you MAY be able to apply for a permanent visa, IF your employer is willing to sponsor you for it, and IF your occupation is still on the skilled list by then, and IF you are under the age limit.  Every year, we see posts on these forums from people who have stuck it out in a horrible job for 3 years in expectation of applying for PR, and then their occupation gets removed from the list two weeks before they were eligible to apply.  Or their employer won't sponsor them.  Or their employer does sponsor them but the application is refused because the employer doesn't meet the required criteria. 

So, like I said, good if you treat it like an adventure, and think of PR as a bonus which you might get if you're lucky.  If your goal is to migrate, don't even think about it - bust a gut now to get a permanent visa.  

The best approach is to consult a MARA registered migration agent.  All the reputable ones will give you a free initial consultation.   They won't be able to give you definite answers in an initial consult, BUT they can give you a general indication - and if you've got no chance, they'll be able to tell you then and there.

Edited by Marisawright

16 hours ago, FelicityS said:

I’m wondering if we manage to find a job that will sponsor him will he still need to go through the ACS skilled assessment? 

Skills assessments are not required for TSS visas (except in a number of specific cases). Software engineer does not need one.

• 2 weeks later...