RRV application advice - proving ties

ln1458

Hi all after some advice if possible! i'm unsure at this point if i need to engage a migrant agent to help me so if anyones been in a similar situation id be grateful to hear from you.

Il try keep it brief smile.gif

I have PR, the travel facility runs out at the end of this year.  

im looking into applying for a RRV 155 . My situation is I do not meet the 2 out of 5 years PR time in Australia, so the best i would get is 12 months RRV and for that I need to prove substantial ties. I've looked into this and the criteria for this feels quite vague. Out of all the options i think i could claim personal ties as i did live in Australia for a number of years as a participating member of the community and economy. Would this be enough and what do i need to do to prove this? Is supplying payslips from previous jobs, details of my open Aussie bank accounts & super fund enough? Unfortunately i own no property in the country as i rented the whole time. Should i get my Australian friends to write statements for me? Would this be enough enough to claim personal ties? 

Also does anyone have a idea of how long the process can take currently. I understood most cases are resolved in 12 weeks, however I just read on another forum in some cases it can take 12months or longer. 

I wanted to return this year, but due to covid i'm trying to be sensible and see if i can go next year instead. I really don't want to take a risk and let my TF expire, i worked so hard to get my PR i cant lose it. I believe my only options to avoid this are to obtain a RRV or return to Australia this year before my travel facility expi

Thanks again for any advice

If you don't satisfy the 2 year out of 5 criteria, then I wouldn't just be asking Paul for an explanation, I'd be hiring him to do the application for you.   The more tenuous your connection to Australia, the more risk that you'll be refused, so you need a professional who knows how to present your evidence in the best possible light.

Having lived in Australia in the past doesn't count.  Think about it - if that was all it took, everyone would get approved.   Foreigners can hold bank accounts in Australia, and temporary workers get superannuation funds, so they're marginal.  Normally, you need family in Australia, or an established home, or a job waiting for you.   

Covid or not, I think your best bet would be to return before your travel facility expires.  Once you're in Australia, you won't need a RRV until you need to travel again.  By that time, you'll have a job and a lease on a property, so you should have no problems. 

• Like 3

Thankyou both for the advice! 

11 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Having lived in Australia in the past doesn't count.  Think about it - if that was all it took, everyone would get approved.   Foreigners can hold bank accounts in Australia, and temporary workers get superannuation funds, so they're marginal.  Normally, you need family in Australia, or an established home, or a job waiting for you.   

Yes i see what you mean, though i'm certain iv'e read of instances for example, of people who obtained skilled visas, activated it on a short holiday and then never actually made the move over.... and still been granted a RRV. How do they prove ties if i cant and I lived there for years. To be honest i didn't appreciate how hard it might be to obtain this type of visa until i really started looking into it .

11 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Covid or not, I think your best bet would be to return before your travel facility expires.  Once you're in Australia, you won't need a RRV until you need to travel again.  By that time, you'll have a job and a lease on a property, so you should have no problems. 

I think you are right, my gut tells me the same thing. We were mentally and finically prepared to make the move this year. But as time moves on Im finding it quite hard dealing with the added stress of Covid -  leaving solid jobs and finding someone to rent our house in all the uncertainty - we are also very restricted on movement in UK right now, so its likely both of us would not get to see our family before we left, this is a big stress factor right now. It it would just be nice to have extra time. But then who knows what might happen, this time next year it could be even worse, god forbid. 

Paul Thankyou for your offer, i shall be in touch, do you prefer DM here or via your website?

11 hours ago, ln1458 said:

Thankyou both for the advice! 

Yes i see what you mean, though i'm certain iv'e read of instances for example, of people who obtained skilled visas, activated it on a short holiday and then never actually made the move over.... and still been granted a RRV. How do they prove ties if i cant and I lived there for years. To be honest i didn't appreciate how hard it might be to obtain this type of visa until i really started looking into it .

I think you are right, my gut tells me the same thing. We were mentally and finically prepared to make the move this year. But as time moves on Im finding it quite hard dealing with the added stress of Covid -  leaving solid jobs and finding someone to rent our house in all the uncertainty - we are also very restricted on movement in UK right now, so its likely both of us would not get to see our family before we left, this is a big stress factor right now. It it would just be nice to have extra time. But then who knows what might happen, this time next year it could be even worse, god forbid. 

Paul Thankyou for your offer, i shall be in touch, do you prefer DM here or via your website?

Are you and your partner in jobs were you could apply for a career break?  This would give you the security of knowing you still had a job in the UK?

Hi all after some advice if possible! i'm unsure at this point if i need to engage a migrant agent to help me so if anyones been in a similar situation id be grateful to hear from you.

Il try keep it brief smile.gif&key=3a81f0901de970b91d31ed66b649ae74970f38b1c30aaa06dfe02fe6e525c482

I have PR, the travel facility runs out at the end of this year.  
im looking into applying for a RRV 155 . My situation is I do not meet the 2 out of 5 years PR time in Australia, so the best i would get is 12 months RRV and for that I need to prove substantial ties. I've looked into this and the criteria for this feels quite vague. Out of all the options i think i could claim personal ties as i did live in Australia for a number of years as a participating member of the community and economy. Would this be enough and what do i need to do to prove this? Is supplying payslips from previous jobs, details of my open Aussie bank accounts & super fund enough? Unfortunately i own no property in the country as i rented the whole time. Should i get my Australian friends to write statements for me? Would this be enough enough to claim personal ties? 

Also does anyone have a idea of how long the process can take currently. I understood most cases are resolved in 12 weeks, however I just read on another forum in some cases it can take 12months or longer. 

I wanted to return this year, but due to covid i'm trying to be sensible and see if i can go next year instead. I really don't want to take a risk and let my TF expire, i worked so hard to get my PR i cant lose it. I believe my only options to avoid this are to obtain a RRV or return to Australia this year before my travel facility expi

Thanks again for any advice

I feel your pain... on exact same timescale and protesting to everyone in the UK I won’t give up my PR..especially as it’s so hard to get from now...the perils of myself being a ping pong Pom!

12 hours ago, ln1458 said:

Yes i see what you mean, though i'm certain iv'e read of instances for example, of people who obtained skilled visas, activated it on a short holiday and then never actually made the move over.... and still been granted a RRV.

I suspect a lot of those are the same as the stories of people who come to Australia on a WHV and then get sponsored - it does happen occasionally, but it's rare and there are particular circumstances which we're not aware of. 

That said, it does appear that Immigration are somewhat lenient about the rules.  You said they're vague, but they're not vague at all - you must have "strong ties of benefit to Australia".  The word is "strong",  but apparently having a job offer can be enough to get you in.  Good luck with it.

13 hours ago, ali said:

Are you and your partner in jobs were you could apply for a career break?  This would give you the security of knowing you still had a job in the UK?

Not so much no, however My partner is a remote IT contractor - so we are lucky that technically he can work from anywhere and his current company are very flexible and open to him working from anywhere in the world. I also work in tech but I am office based for a company who up util now didn't like any remote working.  Right now i'm working from home for the past 3 months due to Covid, it doesn't look like my company have plans to reopen our offices globally anytime soon....they are becoming much more flexible and open to the idea of a remote work force. I'm hoping they will make the decision to close our offices for good and leave us as remote working. 

I might wait another month to see what happens on that front. If no news i might just have to build up the courage to ask them if they would allow me to work remotely from Australia. It wold be a perfect solution for me. Fingers crossed! 

12 hours ago, Jojobluesox2 said:

I feel your pain... on exact same timescale and protesting to everyone in the UK I won’t give up my PR..especially as it’s so hard to get from now...the perils of myself being a ping pong Pom!

😞 its difficult isn't it. what are you going to do ? Can you apply for a RRV? 

My mom gave me some life advice last night, basically amounted to don't bugger up a great life time opportunity over temporary fear of the unknown or not having a job.... jobs anywhere can come and go, same deal with money but opportunity's don't always come back.... so grab it and go! 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, ln1458 said:

My mom gave me some life advice last night, basically amounted to don't bugger up a great life time opportunity over temporary fear of the unknown or not having a job.... jobs anywhere can come and go, same deal with money but opportunity's don't always come back.... so grab it and go! 

There's wisdom in that. 

One thing to consider.  For someone who has done the 2 years out of 5, a RRV gets processed fairly quickly.  For someone like you who doesn't meet the criteria, the wait is more likely to be 12 months or longer.  So if you let your current travel facility expire, you'll be stuck in limbo in the UK for the next 12 months, fretting if you'll be approved or not.  

There's wisdom in that. 
One thing to consider.  For someone who has done the 2 years out of 5, a RRV gets processed fairly quickly.  For someone like you who doesn't meet the criteria, the wait is more likely to be 12 months or longer.  So if you let your current travel facility expire, you'll be stuck in limbo in the UK for the next 12 months, fretting if you'll be approved or not.  

That’s right.. I have the same perspective-jobs come and go and I’m in a good job in the uk as a civil servant but which I can’t do there. However, back in 2011 when I had this dream, I left my very good job then, with nothing concrete to go for but then was offered 2 sponsorships (although I know these are not the norm now).

I already applied for rrv 3 weeks ago, however I have had conflicting advice whether 2 x month long holidays count as days. If they do count I’m just over but if they don’t, I am under with no ties so may be forced to go back this year, I’ve no idea. I’d rather not due to crazy unstable world, but will if I have to and I’ll just go back to social work as there’s always jobs for that, particularly in recession.

Another complicating factor is partner that we have to start partner visa for.

I’ve asked Paul for consult as unsure if I should withdraw application, if it cancels my existing rrv.

23 hours ago, ln1458 said:

I might wait another month to see what happens on that front. If no news i might just have to build up the courage to ask them if they would allow me to work remotely from Australia. It wold be a perfect solution for me. Fingers crossed! 

Would you be able to do that?  You would be resident and working in Australia so taxed here.

Edited by AJ

On 06/06/2020 at 14:26, Marisawright said:

There's wisdom in that. 

This is not the case. Most applications that meet the residence requirement are 'auto granted' in the same way as eVisitor visas, unless there is some flag for manual intervention. If you do not meet the residence requirement "processing timeframes for these applications can be up to 12 weeks" according to the Department's own information. 90% of all applications are being finalised within 39 days according to their statistics, which fits with my experience at the moment. There may be a few outliers at much longer processing times, but there is usually an explanation for that.