megan987

Commute from Gold Coast to Brisbane

I was just wondering if anyone had any recent experiences/advice on the commute from Gold Coast (Helensvale will be our nearest station) to Brisbane CBD. We are trying to do some research (we are very familiar with the GC and know the train times etc) but looking more for daily realities/pitfalls/advice... Forum posts we've found are quite old... Thanks!

It will all depend on the time of day your commuting. If its in rush hour/ school times it can be a bit of a nightmare on the highway, especially if there's an accident. 

Cal x

• Like 1

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

Yeah I understand the drive can be a bit hectic. I meant to be more specific in my question and say we are looking at the trains. Just wondering how busy etc they get during rush hour.. 

Thanks for your response!

• Like 1

I understand that it gets difficult to get a seat during rush hour the closer to Brisbane that you live on the Gold Coast.  Hopefully, someone who commutes from Helensvale can let you know what seat availability is like from that station.

When I first moved over from the UK 3 years ago we moved to the GC to be near friends and I commuted to South Bank from Coomera on the train. Despite it being the 'fast' train, it's not that fast and it added about 3 hours to my day just by commuting including driving to station, waiting for train etc. I lasted about 8 weeks getting more and more depressed with my long days and then we made the decision to move to Brisbane, changing schools etc.  It was absolutely the best decision for us despite not knowing anyone here (at the time) and I love living in Brisbane .

Someone else I know does the same commute and enjoys the time to read etc but it wasn't for me. You will get a seat at Helensvale though!

Good luck

• Like 1

I would not fancy commuting from Surfers Paradise to Brisbane. I drove to Fortitude Valley with my brother the other day, lunchtime there,  back at 330 or 4, just over an hour? 

I know you can get tram to Helensvale then train to Brisbane which I imagine is like getting to Sydney from where my brother lives near Camden. Bus or drive to Campbelltown then an hour on the train.

A guy told me he gets bus to Nerang for the train which is quicker than tram to Helensvale. I don't mind Brisbane but I can't see any advantages, weather aside, from Sydney.  I do like Surfers Paradise though and after 3 months here I may just stay for good.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, starlight7 said:

Oh to be in Surfers

Now that Covid's here as they say down in Vile Victoria!

Yes, thank God I'm.not in Melbourne.  The Sydney lockdown from March to beginning of June.

Yes, I can part empathise with you because the Sydney lockdown closed restaurants and pubs for dine/drink in but they were open for takeaway. I could walk in the park sans mask. In fact I've never worn one.

Hypocrite that Andrews  making no attempt to stop BLM protests but stopping so much else including golf? Fishing?

Plus that quarantine cock-ups which all responsible dodged responsibility.  Maybe need Royal Commission or similar?

Can we please keep this thread on topic, we have plenty of Covid threads available to post on.

Thanks

Cal x

• Like 1

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...